Author Topic: Deer season is closing in...  (Read 1328 times)

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
Deer season is closing in...
« on: July 23, 2011, 08:58:29 AM »

August 15th here in SC... that is if you can stand 100 degree heat, skeeters that can tote a small car away, and yellow deer flies that bite like a Pit Bull. Ahhh, sounds like deer season to me. Anyway, lets see what ya'll will be using this hunting season? I'm going with my 44 mag Talo Trapper, Weaver X4 scope, and Winchester 240 grain Dual Bond bullets.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
Re: Deer season is closing in...
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »
Deer season here in N.W.FL. does not start till Nov. 24 I think [gun] as of now I plan on useing 45/454 but noing me I'll change my mind 10 times before now and then.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 09:39:51 AM »
Haven't decided yet, probably the 7mm-08 Light, but may carry the 444 or 405 Win octagon, got lots of time to decide, doesn't open until Oct 15th.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
101 on my porch right now, the only thing I am hunting is AC. Thank god deer season is  not till Nov 12th here in Mo. Should be in the 40's by then,
remember the starfish

Offline gendoc

• SWAMP GROCERIES RULE !!!
  • Trade Count: (329)
  • TRUTH AND HUMOR, thatsa what i'm talk'n bout
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
hey yukondog... were bouts you at in nw-fl ?
our stick-n-string opens 10/15 and gun is 11/1, ithink

yo- flint, i feel for-ya man !!! its like that here till january :o

but at least we'll be do'n what we luv most ;)

i kan't wait.........

an ol'tim... he's got it made wif them cool temps  ;)

yall know what i'm gunna shoot......excalibur vortex 1st !!! and then the 3rd week,
barnett jackal !!!

4th week will be tha 50cal huntsman
when general gun opens....
then them handi's 39,whelen,45/70. tha rest of tha heard be for varmits
 and birdies ;D

i jus kain't wait !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

sea-ya.....
in tha meen time, i'm wait'n for tha  7th trumpet ta sound !!!

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

hey boy, hit this mason jar one time...
burn ya lil'bit did'nt it. ya ever been snipe hunt'n ?  come on...

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 10:51:02 AM »
So Yukondog... I got the same gun... what load are you gonna use for what distance, if you don't mind me asking? 

So far I've only used puny 45LC lead handloads in mine.  Just got 28 454 brass to try.

Be Well...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline Squib

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G- S- T- and I ain't got time to bleed!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 10:55:32 AM »
Missouri: the winter that just passed was horribly cold and there was lots of snow at the end (mini-blizzards). lately it's been; tornados, torrential rain, floods, now (last two weeks) it's calm- humid- HOT and the mosquitos are tearing us up.  I cannot imagine trying to hunt like that, I'd be moving around to swat bugs and hitting my water too often to ever be stealthy.  You should move north.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2011, 11:13:57 AM »
  You should move north.

hailnaw !!! we'uns are happy right were we is at !!!! ;D
we can fight tha skeeders and nats... its parta life down here !!! ;)
but we got sum-gud whitetail here.... kinda small but lots of'um and tastey...
oh-man yeah !!! ;D
thank ya anaway for tha invite!!!

sea-ya.....

gotta big green tractor ana diesel truck, my idea of heaven's chasin whitetail bucks and asa country boy, you know i can survive............

Offline Squib

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
here it's nasty most of the time (various ways at various times, but rarely fair) so the people stay out of the woods most of the time, and the animals aren't really accustomed to running around much either due to heat, bugs, rainstorms, tornados...etcetera.  BUT when it's cool and the rut kicks off they have stable weather and it's cold enough they can run around without overheating and they run around a lot.  the woods are thick, lots of farmland, high deer density, good sized one's too.  around here 200lbs is common on a buck.  we have a four points on one antler minimum too, so they get to maturity so everyone isn't popping spikes.  also, no bugs to deal with at that point so if you can stay still and quiet it's hard to come home empty handed.  also, no snakes in the thick swamps to get you during the gun season.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 11:36:56 AM »
man, you are in gud-shape !!! ;D
we gots cottonmouths out tha yeng-yang.. and our big deer be round 160lb ifin we lucky.
sumtimes we have seen a few stiff bout 200..... but few and far between.
these deer here move 24/7 no matter tha weather. heat slows them down but evenings they thrive.
ya jus gotta step on 2 or three cottonmouths every time ya go to your ladder stand here in tha swamp. we have capture sticks with us. to move them off our path.
sumtimes they will be in balls waller'n... thats when ya take your side-arm with snake shot and take bout 10 out at one time... ;D  and forget mr. whitetail :P
but alls gud here... it jus takes time to be part of it  ;)
sea-ya.....

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 12:25:37 PM »
gendoc I'm north of p-cola in Milton. I know what you mean about the cottonmouths, you get use to them it's just a fact of life around the south and some big diamondbacks also, when I come across them they go home with me and into the frying pan.

rdlange, in 45 I use 250 gr. xtp/hp at 1400 fps and in 454 I use 300 gr. xtp/mag. w/H-110 at 1800 fps.

Offline gendoc

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 12:35:56 PM »
thats right yukon, we have talked before !!! ;D
yep we will eat them diamonds ina deep-south second ;) !!!
gud to hear from ya, and you and yours enjoy the up-come'n season !!! 8)
sea-ya.....

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
you to gendoc.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2011, 01:24:38 PM »
Too far away yet for me to begin plannin'... (Nov 19th) but it WILL be a handi!! ;)

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline ronbob

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2011, 01:27:25 PM »
Me, I'll be use'n the 357 MAX w/187 gr gas checked cast. Grand daughter will  be us'n her 243 w/100 gr jacketed. The son will be using his 270, the daughter-in-law might use the 30-30 handi with 165 gr gas checked cast . Really looking forward to it.

Offline Squib

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
we have snapping turtles, alligator gar, cottonmouths, copperheads, and rattlesnakes though I've never seen a rattler in person.  the ground is about froze when regular gun season kicks off, so none of them are seen then.  capture sticks... eewh.  can you use .22's during the season for pests and small game?  I'd think that a .410 would be too noisy to risk, then again seeing a wallerin' mating ball would make my flesh crawl too much to stand?!  I do plan on taking remington cbee's to pop a few squirrels while waiting for deer (I hate false alarms from squirrels, I always get all pumped up thinking it's my monster buck of a lifetime but it's a little gray squirrel, then when my guard is down a few deer get half way past my shooting zone quietly while I'm tuning out the squirrels, and I have to rush a shot).

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2011, 02:27:48 PM »
Pointy Stick Season Sept. 1st - Hunter's Inc 185# X-bow w/100 grain thunderheads.

Early MZ season - Last full week of October - Huntsman 50 cal w/385 grain .451 conicals and 45/50 crushrib sabots

Gun - Monday after Thanksgiving - 410ga H&R rifled slug gun

Late Gun season in December - 410 again

Regular MZ Season early January - 45-70 converted to 45 cal MZ with 200 grain sabots, ifin I can make it work by then. :P

Hope in to make the Indiana gun season in November with the 357 Maxi Talo or 410 slug gun.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Farrier Matt

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2011, 02:54:30 PM »
.50 cal Huntsman with TC Maxi balls over 90 gr FFF black powder.
Handi 22 Hornet with secret recipe of Lil Gun and a 45 gr soft point.
Winchester 94 44 mag with 300 gr soft points over H110. XS sights made this a different rifle.
Browning A Bolt 25-06 with 100 gr Hornady Interlocks over 4350.

Just depends on when and where. I gotta admit, last couple years, the Hornet has killed more deer than all the others put together. Winnie 94 takes most of the hogs.

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2011, 04:46:36 PM »
Yeah, I hunt right north of you near myrtle beach,but in NC. Same thing with stuff wantin' to bite you.Some Shannon outdoors Bug Tamer clothing and a Thermacell will get you by.Crossbows legal for all now in NC, but if they catch you eatin a rattler it will be an expensive meal.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
I will use my CVA Wolf during primitive, then move to the Tracker 20 ga. on public land, and the 280 Handi when on private land.  That is unless I change my mind and go with the 357 max.  Of course, I have a couple 45-70's.......is it ok to carry more than one rifle when hunting?  This is quite a difficult decision.   >:(

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2011, 04:50:09 PM »
In past years, I always tried to figure the weather, wind, anticipated shot distance, etc. to choose which rifle to take on a particular day...............invariably I was wrong.  This year, I have it figured out.  I'm hiring three gun bearers.  That way we can take 7 Handis along and all I have to do is point at the one I want to use. ::) ::) ::)   Seriously, this year it'll be either the .445 or the .38-55 (changed my mind).

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2011, 04:52:03 PM »
Oh yeah, you must be in the swamp,or some tight places,with the short range .44. I have an old ruger deerstalker,so I can relate,but where I am you could possibly get a 2-300 yard shot ,a la Kenny Jarrett beanfield kind of rifle gets the nod. Good Luck,I'm a waitin for it too.

Offline chefjeff

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »
I have been known to carry two muzzleloaders into a suitable stand. Hard to beat the quickness of that with a frontstuffer.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2011, 05:16:00 PM »
September 10th - archery season. Probably using one of my Pearson compound bows. Deer season lasts through mid January. Must admit that the best weather is later in the season. That is what I like about the south. When many are fighting snow storms, I am hunting wearing a long sleeve tee shirt or two.

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2011, 05:43:51 AM »
Jeff,

I have a lot of close, bow type stands that I will be shooting the 44 out of. That being said, the 44 is good out past 100 yards... I can remember killing a deer past 100 yards, but It's been awhile. The last several years, I think my longest shot has been around 75 yards.
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline Deerhunter#1

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 07:15:32 AM »
This year it will have to be my 30-30 with 130 grain hornady sp here in PA end of Nov.

Offline max1138

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 01:30:20 PM »
November 7th for us primitives, altho the stick-n-string folks get an early start on October 1
here in mississippi zone 1.

since I cant draw a bow any more and it takes a handicapped permit to use a crossbow in MS ( which I dont have and refuse to apply for, im not handicapped, I just have a wrecked shoulder)  I will have to wait till november 7 to start reducing the population of antlerless (does only in primitive season) deer with the 35 whelen handi rifle.  if I dont succumb and get a 45-70 handi-rifle before then that is.