Author Topic: any raeson not to use a "speciality scopes" on a regular old rifle  (Read 608 times)

Offline erickrschaefer

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Avid Poster
I see a lot of companies are now marketing scopes labeled specifically for shotguns and muzzle loaders. The one in particular I was looking at was the Nikon Omega and the Nikon Slug Hunter. I see the shotgun scope has parallax adjusted at 75 yards instead of 100 but other than that they seem like they would be just as good on top of a bolt gun. For the hunting I do here in Maine the 1.5x6 in either model seems like it would be just as effective on my bolt gun as either the smoke pole or the shotgun.

Offline gr8ful

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: any raeson not to use a "speciality scopes" on a regular old rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
A scope is just an aiming device and contrary to popular belief you don't need a 6-18 X 50mm scope on a deer rifle especially if your shots are gonna be under 100 yrds, the wider field of view on a low powered shotgun or muzzle loader style scope would probably better serve anyway, also most lower powered scopes have better light transmission.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 12:26:39 PM »
Erick;
  I live in the wooded hills of western NY..probably with ranges you are dealing with.  My Marlin 336 30/30 has a 2.5X  shotgun scope mounted for about 5 years and it works well.  Being a scope designed for shotgun slugs, it seems to take recoil well.. and of course 2.5X is enough, because a deer kill-zone is volley-ball sized.
       Looks like the web photo below.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline jjas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 02:29:49 PM »
I recently purchased a Nikon Omega 1.5-5x36 scope that I put on a  .357 magnum handi rifle for my son  (this will probably be the scope's permanent home)...  I had no problem mounting it on the weaver base that came with the rifle (as it had multiple slots). 
On a bolt action rifle you might run into mounting issues (if the gun is a long action) as the scope is a bit shorter than a typical 3-9x40.  Not saying it can't be done, it just might require special mounts to do so.

A friend of mine mounted his Omega on a Ruger 77/44 w/standard medium height Ruger rings and it worked out fine. It was a bit close, but it worked.

Hope this helps.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:38:12 AM »
a typical scope with a 100 yard paralex adjustment will be tough to focus out past about 350 yards so i would guess that a 75 yard focus would cut that to 250 or so. So as long as your not planing on shooting out past 300 yards i wouldnt worry about it.
blue lives matter

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2011, 04:33:52 AM »
I live in the wooded hills of western NY..probably with ranges you are dealing with.  My Marlin 336 30/30 has a 2.5X  shotgun scope mounted for about 5 years and it works well. 

Ironglow, a fellow Marlin owner? My heart is warmed!

So far as 'shotgun' scopes go... work fine. I've got a Bushnell Trophy 1.75-4x32 which I bought for my muzzleloader about 8 years ago. I put it on my Marlin for a while, then moved it back to the ML CVA after getting a Nikon for the Marlin. I believe the Bushnell was labeled a 'shotgun' scope; I was hopeful that meant it would stand up to the recoil of heavy conicals. So far, it works fine (took a nice 8pt with the CVA LAST season)
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
The only thing to watch for is some with 5-6" eye relief have alot less FOV.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte