Author Topic: help with 9mm  (Read 464 times)

Offline tvc15

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
help with 9mm
« on: July 24, 2011, 01:58:07 AM »
Have some 125 grain remington FMJ and a pound of blue dot.
 Powder charge isn't a issue, I have several manuals and looked up bluedot. I don't know where you can find the COL for those bullets. Thought about measuring the remington versus the speer bullet and seat the same amount, as long as it's under max COL

Should I start with the minimum powder and max COL listed and see if it cycles?

This is for an EZ9

Thanks in advance,
TVC15

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: help with 9mm
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 02:19:00 AM »
1.169 is the max over all length for the 9mm luger.  The reloading manual should list the depth / overall length that particular load was tested at.  If in doubt, I would load at max OAL, then seat slightly deeper if feeding is an issue.  Starting at the listed starting load is always a good idea, then work up until you get good accuracy and reliability.  Seating slightly deeper then max OAL should cause no problems.  It is when you seat well below what a factory round using that bullet is at that you will get pressure spikes from reduced case capacity.  As long as you are seating at what a factory lead core bullet of the same weight is at, you are OK.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52:25 PM »
My data book and manual both show 1.090" COAL for that bullet.  You generally won't get near the COAL with FMJs, only with heavy for caliber semi-wadcutters or hollow points since the displaced metal has to move forward, especially the 147 JHPs.

Hope this helps.

Lance

Offline tvc15

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 01:58:56 PM »
Thanks so much

TVC15

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 02:05:57 PM »
Are you SURE the bullets are for 9mm not a .38 Special/.357 Magnum?

Generally 9mm bullets are either 115, 124 or 147 grains. I can't say that I've ever seen a 125 grain 9mm bullet listed tho I'm sure there are things in this world I've yet to see.

I seriously doubt Bluedot is going to be a very satisfactory powder for the load. Make sure you find your loads in a manual with pressure tested data.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline LanceR

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 02:19:17 AM »
Are these discontinued bullets you or someone else have had sitting on a shelf for some time?   I notice that Remington no longer shows pistol bullets on their website. 

Sierra makes a 125 FMJ in their TournamentMaster line which I've used before and my data book shows I loaded some Winchester and Remington 125 grain FMJs about 12 years ago that I bought from a friend who said they'd been on his shelf for quite a few years. 

I don't have a current Sierra pistol manual but Hodgdon's website shows a dozen or so loads for the Sierra 125 FMJ.  They might be worth looking at as starting points.

Lance

Offline tvc15

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 12:58:20 PM »
124 grain sorry

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:30 PM »
I load a 125 gr cast bullet for the 9mm---I use 4.3 gr of accurate #2 with  OAL of 1.125"--works great in a Hi-point carbine and a S&W pistol.

cybin

Offline noylj

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Bluedotisanexcellentpowserfor9mm.
Sorry, Icannotusethespacekeyonthissite...