Author Topic: What about a Compact S&W M&P  (Read 825 times)

Offline Ironworker

• Trade Count: (0)
What about a Compact S&W M&P
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:44:47 PM »
Of course my Sig P-229 is big and semi uncomfortable to carry. What about a S&W Compact M&P in 40 cal ? I don't care for the price or feel of the Karh.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: What about a Compact S&W M&P
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:44:34 AM »
Well, I just picked up a M&P 45 compact last week.  Have put about 150 rounds of Winchester hard ball thru it.  It seems very well made, and the feel of the grip sold me over the 2x4 handle on the Glock .45.  Mine shot right on for elevation, about 3 inches left.  Sights are steel, dove tailed front and rear, and easy to adjust.  The trigger is Glock like, in that there is an easy, soft take-up, then a firm wall before release.  Mine is about 7lbs, maybe 2lbs heavier then my Glock 26 or 19.  No problem punching out fist sized groups off hand at 25 yards, and I'm sure it will do better with a little load testing and practice.  Over all, I like it, especially the interchangeable back strap feature.  Mine does not have the key lock, the magazine disconnect safety, or the thumb safety - all available options.  The magazines seem well made, though hard to get that last round in.  Hope this helps.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:03:21 PM »

My M&P 40 Compact was my first autoloading pistol.  Other than shooting friend's pistols and revolvers on occasion, most of my experience had been on the bench and in the woods with my Contender.  I came close to getting a double action wheel gun for defense, but the compactness of the autoloaders appealed to me.  The complexity and seeming miriad of different controls did not.  I got the M&P because it was a good compromise betweent he two.  Striker fired, no safety and very few other controls to get confused with in the heat of the moment.
I was very surprised at the accuracy.  The picture above is of the first five shots ever, taken at 25 yards.  Considering that was from someone unaccustomed to small autoloading pistols and with a new gun, I think it was pretty good.  Later that same year I was able to impress my cousin with a hit on the second shot at a 3" orange sticker at about 75 yards (kneeling on the ground and resting my wrists on my upturned shooting supplies box).  The first shot was very close, but did not connect.  I believe I was using the magazine with finger rest on all of those shots.  I seem to have to reposition my hand after each shot to achieve consistency if I'm using the flat bottom magazine where my little finger has no purchase.
For carry, it is very compact and relatively lightweigh.  However, I did not like IWB carry because of the thickness of it.  My Bursa Thunder 380 is about the same dimention except much thinner with its single stack design and works for me for IWB.  Maybe I need to try a different rig for the M&P for IWB as I only tried a cheapie.
This pistol is very loud, but maybe not as loud as my 357.  I still would not like the result of having to fire in a closed room without hearing protection in a defensive situation, but of course I might not have any other option.  I found myself wanting to shoot it at my parents house once but had no hearing protection.  After two or three shots outside I figured out that wasn't my smartest move and stopped.
Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 05:43:02 AM »
I had an M&P9c and liked it a lot.  Sold it when I switched over to Glocks for defensive guns but had I not switched I would still have and carry it.

But if you're thinking about keeping the 229 and using it occasionally, I think that perhaps you'd be better off sticking with the same manual of arms.  Like a Sig 239 would have a similar trigger pull and controls to your 229 and be a little easier to conceal.

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 04:19:06 AM »
     Locknload hit it on the head !  I own both the 229 and 239 and use both from time to time the 239 being my favorite, however I must add I am carrying a colt defender 45 today !  Life is good.  Take care   Jim