Author Topic: Traditions Pellet Flintlock!  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
Traditions Pellet Flintlock!
« on: July 29, 2011, 04:43:44 AM »
I was just sent this link for an article on a new flintlock Traditions has, designed to fire pellets.  I can't say that I am overly impressed with the author's knowledge of flintlocks, nor that he had to stuff ffffg in the touch hole to get the pellets to go off.  It was interesting anyway. 

A 3" group at 50 yards is better than he got with his regular flinter?  I am not impressed.

Here is the link: http://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-pa-pellet-flintlock-from-traditions-performance-firearms

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline flintlock

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Traditions Pellet Flintlock!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 05:23:57 AM »
No need for pellets, especially in a flintlock...

With muzzleloaders you are handloading each shot...I don't know of any reloaders that would want pellets for a cartridge gun, no real advantage to them in a muzzleloader...

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:54:24 PM »
flintlock, I agree totally.  I call those who prefer the pellets either "the good enough" shooters, or "the lazy shooters". In my mind they completely miss out on a big part of the fun of shooting frontloaders. 
keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 05:32:45 AM »
I only read about half of the linked item before I got too disgusted to continue. >:(
The guy is an idiot. He several times referred to himself as a "traditionalist" who loves flintlocks but obviously knows nothing about them, hypes up the "advantages" of modern muzzleloaders and says he can't get better than a 6" group at 50 yards with his roundball gun. No wonder he likes "modern muzzleloaders", they are made for idiots like him. But the article was useful in one respect, I got to see a photo of the breechplug. I see no way that rifle could ever hope to fire pellets unless the tiny powder chamber were first filled with 4f powder, I doubt it would even fire 2f black. I have a new slogan for them, "designed by idiots for idiots"!
Oh by the way, doesn't the PA flintlock season specify round balls only? That idiot is shooting sabots from a 48" twist.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline keith44

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 07:31:34 AM »
Thinking I may have mis-read something, or read something that I took the wrong way I tried to re-read the article.  Ok here's the run down on what I see with this device.

1) Wrong flint
2) Improperly installed flint
3) Poor loading techniques
4) although the ramrod looks designed for the chosen projectile, the gun is not ideally suited for the projectile.

5) Poor design of the gun all around.  Only good thing I see is it comes apart easily for a good cleaning

Designed for lazy idiots who will never learn just what a good muzzleloader (flint or percussion) is capable of.

Life member NRA

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 01:16:06 PM »
Agreed, with that flint installed as it is he could never close the frizzen at half-cock, probably doesn't know it should close at half cock.  ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 05:45:08 PM »
I figured folks would get a chuckle out of that article!  I wasn't impressed with the author.  Maybe someone who knows what they are doing will review the rifle and give a decent evaluation of it.

-Winter Hawk-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone

Offline keith44

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 11:03:21 PM »
I cannot find a single review on any retail sales website, but found this description interesting.

A classic-looking side lock with all the features of a modern inline! The Traditions PA Pellet Flintlock Muzzleloader is the only flintlock able to fire both loose powder or easy-to-use pellets. Removable Accelerator breech plug enables more consistent ignition. The 26" octagonal barrel has a 1:48" twist rifling for extreme accuracy. Improved hardened frizzen face and deeper flash pan for reliable ignitions and better sparks. Other features include a crisp trigger, sling swivels, a 241/2" solid aluminum ramrod with brass loading jag, and adjustable Williams™ fiber optic sights. Built-in aluminum ramrod swivels for attaching a sling. Soft-Touch stocks and forends to provide a comfortable feel. Includes takedown allen key.
     "...hardened frizzen FACE" excuse me but shouldn't the frizzen be hardened through, not just face or surface hardened? " 1:48 twist for extreme accuracy?  That twist rate is a compromise rate for round ball and short conicals, not the best choice for either, but will work for both.   Junk don't waste your time or money.        Hows that for a review?
Life member NRA

Offline Winter Hawk

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 10:05:15 AM »
I got to thinking that this might have been a joke someone sent me so I checked the Traditions site and no, it is real: http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product_info.php?products_id=838  Kinda spendy though.  It's a flinter so I guess it's traditional, but did I really post it in the right forum?   :-\

-WH-

Offline keith44

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 01:52:17 PM »
Yeah, by defination you posted in the right forum, IMHO anyway.

I doubt it will be recieved well in either forum, though.  Sorry 'bout the tyrade I just get torqued up when I see something that in my mind is not worth bringing home at any price being "Hyped up" as the best product ever offered.
Life member NRA