Author Topic: Where have all the Texans gone?  (Read 5298 times)

Offline ShooterSATX

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Where have all the Texans gone?
« on: July 30, 2011, 04:53:43 AM »
What's up folks?! It seems that the Texans have disappeared. We need to get this back up and running. I know there are SOOO many folks here. Whether it's rifle, pistol or Bow hunting, let's start posting folks.

I too, am guilty of a short hiatus. I am back now and looking forward to all the knowledge from my fellow Texans!

Shooter

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: Where have all the Texans gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 09:28:18 AM »
Dunno, what is it this time,  Floods washing you into the Golf or are you turning into mummies because of no rain and lots of heat?
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
Dunno, what is it this time,  Floods washing you into the Golf or are you turning into mummies because of no rain and lots of heat?
yeah, they dried up and blew away.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline rdlange

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (52)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 03:12:08 PM »
Not much to say.  Don't have a lease.  No buddies with land.  Don't know Fed. parks well enough yet to bother.  No hogs in the back yard.  Don't have $2K to go shoot a ranch pasture buck... So I just shoot at the local range.

Be Well anyway...
Think as if you LIFE depends on it... IT does..!  Be Well...

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
 :)  Howdy! I'm still here. It has been too hot and dry to do much of anything outside. Stock tanks have dried up and wild game is looking for other water sources. The hunting may not be so good this Fall if we don't get some serious rain before long. I want to be optimistic though. Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:59:02 AM »
We got plenty of that wet stuff here. It poured all of yesterday.

Offline markc

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:47:05 PM »
Scatterbrain where are you?  Nice to hear someone has gotten rain. 

Headed to the ranch in the early morning hours tomorrow, for a quick turn around trip. Too hot to stay out there too long.  Filling feeders, moving one, dropping off next winters supply of fire wood, and setting up one new bow hunting tripod.  Hope heat stroke doesn't get me. 
markc

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 11:53:30 AM »
The only thing good that's come out of this drought, IF you want to call it that, is that we have been able to clean out about 5-6 feet of silt from 3 stock tanks that have gone dry. First time these tanks have gone dry in the 140 years our family has had the land. this is up in San Saba county.

When it finally decides to rain again, these babies will hold almost double what they have been. We've had 5.5 inches since last September.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2011, 01:45:09 PM »
How are your wells holding up.
 It has got to be brutal keeping livestock watered. :o

Offline redhawksixsh

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2011, 06:52:10 PM »
I am still here!  Jeff in N.E. San Antonio.  My tanks here at the house are still holding water, but won't for long if we don't get any rain.  The deer here are hanging in there, I saw a bachelor group of bucks two weeks back and all had average antlers.  Let's all pray for rain!

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 07:06:04 AM »
More for the Maritimes yesterday and today, we are not going to dry out for some time. The bugs love it.

Offline markc

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2011, 10:51:49 AM »
Snapped a few photos right outside the cabin,

The ground was so dry that it crunched under foot, and this was in the grass.  Saw several does within a few feet of the cabin. One appeared about to try to eat from the bird feeder I had just refilled. All 3 feeders back up and running as well as a nice deer block put out.  They look hungry, but otherwise healthy.
markc

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 05:53:01 AM »
I haven't seen a deer in.................can't remember. I presume they all left for higher grounds.

Offline DeckH

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 08:13:33 AM »
 :) ShooterSATX,   I'm a lurker.  Been so for yrs. I consider myself a wealth of misinformation and trivia.  Got 40 acres on 41 Ranch.   It is 18 miles east of Rocksprings off of Hwy 41 and Hackberry Rd. and 12 miles of dirt road.   Don't expect much in the way of hunting this fall.  Oaks, cedar and prickly pear are all dying.     

Offline markc

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »
DeckH, if you run feeders you should see plenty of game. The protein feeders were getting hit hard earlier this summer, and plain old corn feeders are being over run.  Not much natural food out the right now. We just had a wild life watering system added to our place as there isn't much water either. 
markc

Offline AEA

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 03:10:12 PM »
I'm here!

North Texas, along the Shawnee Trail at the Red River!

Just joined today and spend most of my time in the Henry Forum.
Alan

Offline DeckH

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 04:41:35 AM »
Markc,  My son, 2 grandsons and I are going up to the ranch Sat. AM.  My son is on the Owner's Association Committe.  He has invited a state biologist to discuss the wildlife exemption.  We are currently Ag exempt but the land is severely over grazed.  The cattle guy has taken his cattle off due to overgrazing!  His cattle are in competetion with deer and  exotics.  The only problem is all property owners have to agree to the wildlife exemption.  Some are still in favor of the Ag exemption because of low taxes.
    Have not been running the feeder this summer.  will start up next month.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 10:51:10 AM »
Deck H
Would you be kind enough to explain what these exemptions are ???

Offline markc

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 12:40:02 PM »
DeckH, our property Owners Assoc voted 1 1/2 years ago to remove the cattle from the ranch due to over grazing issues. Many PO are applying for the Wildlife Valuation.  You get a 2 year rest before you either have to return the cattle, or submit a wildlife management plan.

My wife and I decided to just pay the taxes since it is based on the appraised value, which is about 1/2 of what we pay for the land. 

Scatterbrain, you can find and download the forms at the Texas Parks and Wildlife web site. Basically there are 7 areas of wildlife management, and you select 3 of those that you will practice. Complete the forms clearly documenting what you are doing (supplemental feeding, clearing of cedar, houses for bats, or song bird etc..., maintain excellent records that show what you did, money you spent, ect..   Each year you collect the records and turn them in, with the approved plan lasting 3 years.   

Each county has folks that read these applications and either approve or disapprove them.  Many are disapproved because the forms turned in by the land owner is incomplete, not clearly worded to explain what is being done.  Some ag agents that read these can be picky.  If you choose supplemental feeding, it can be costly.  It isn't just running a corn feeder, and some applications will be rejected for that reason. A co-worker who is feeding spends more on protein and corn than he would if he just paid the full taxes.  It all depends on your particular property and the areas of management you choose.

The Pks & Wildlife Dept has biologists that will survey your property and offer assistance, but it is up to the land owner to complete and submit the forms for approval.

AEA, welcome to the forum.
markc

Offline AEA

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2011, 01:02:27 PM »
Thanks! :)
Alan

Offline DeckH

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2011, 02:04:01 PM »
markc,  Earlier in the year, one of the property owners who has 30 acres submitted his paper work for the Wildlife Exemption to Edwards County..   They rejected his application and told him he had to have at least 50 acres.   This is BS.  Hopefully we will get some answers from the state biologist.

Offline markc

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 05:44:35 AM »
I wish I could say that I am astonished, but from what I gather, Miss Cotton there in Edwards Co apparently has been able to run things as she desires for some time. Now that more land owners are applying for Wildlife exemptions, she has her work cut out for her. There is a way to protest, or contest her findings, and even hiring  a company such as Plateau, to do the leg work for you doesn't guarantee approval.  In Another county near Centerville, my sister has an approved and working plan on her 23 acres. Edwards Co must think that land owners are stupid or something.

http://bobcathollowfossilcreek.com/wildlife_management

Here is some very good info on this subject. I am not endorsing Plateau Management in any way. This is from the web site of the POA on whose board I serve.  I hope the info is helpful. 
markc

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 06:13:28 AM »
Markc
In a nutshell, this is a way to reduce property taxes for your land ?

Offline DeckH

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 02:08:32 PM »
markc,  Thanks for the info.

Offline markc

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »
Scatterbrain, yes and no.  A landowner obviously will pay taxes on the land, and the higher the appraised value, the higher the tax.  No surprise there.   One can apply for an agricultural exemption by placing a certain number of livestock on the property, making application through the county appraisal district.  Several years ago, in Texas, voters approved a new exemption for wildlife management.  Again, one has to apply, and once approved, submit an annual report showing how the land owner is working towards the goals and objectives listed in the original application. 

It isn't as simple as just filling out the application (10 pages) and mailing it in. There are 7 wildlife management areas of activity, and you must choose 3 that you will be involved in.  For example, we choose supplemental water, & feed, predator reduction and supplemental shelter (bird or bat houses).   

Once approved, the taxes paid are much lower than what you would pay ordinarily.
markc

Offline DeckH

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »
markc,  Sat. the state biologist was very informative. He covered every thing from the Ag exemption to the Wildlife exemption.  He is very familiar with Ms. Cotton.  There have been law suits against Edwards County re exemptions.  He said the only problem is you may win but the next year Edwards County comes back at you with the same claim for taxes.   He also mentioned that some of us can form a co-op and unite our efforts for the Wildlife exemption.  The taxes are the same apparently for both the Ag Exemp. and the Wildlife Exemp.  Obviously fewer cattle or none would be good.  He said he would not entirely eliminate all the cattle.  He provided a ratio for cattle/acres which I don't remember but I do know that 85 head on 2600 acres is too many.  At least we are making progress albit slow.

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 08:56:29 AM »
NO wells on our ranch.  Now that the stock tanks have been cleaned out, we are just waiting for rain.

In the mean time, we have hooked up to the county water supply and moved several 150 gallon water troughs onto the place.

These cattle have never had water this good before.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
Not having abundant water was one of the reasons that made me leave AZ  in 1971.

Offline Larry L

• A Real Regular
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2011, 03:48:50 PM »
I travel Webb county a lot. My brother lives outside of Mirando city. The ranchers have all sold their cattle or have moved them north. Most folks are having to haul water for household use. What wells are around are usually shallow for this part of Texas and the water is bad. Good enough for the commode or washing but not for drinking. The deer are hanging on, how, I haven't a clue but they are alive and doing okay. There was not much of a fawn crop this year so it's going to be a slow hunt this winter. All of the animals had few offspring, even coyotes. I just spoke with bro and it's 112F at his place at 7:30 PM. It might be down to 100F by the 10 o'clock news. Most of the shallow tanks have dried up and the deep ones are going away at a pretty fair clip. It's so hot and dry that even the cactus is dying. North towards San Antonio, trees are dying along the hiway from no water. I've never known a mesquite tree to die from lack of water but that's what it looks like. Makes it pretty bad when most folks are praying for a hurricane. A bunch of thunderstorms isn't going to do much good anymore. It'll take a rain of 12-15" in several days to start things getting back to normal.
On the plus side, if you haven't been down to the area in a while, they are putting up wind generators at the rate of 2 a day. The desert winds they've been having from the heat makes these things hum right along. It's almost hard to go anywhere and not see one somewhere on the horizon. Yet the area still suffers from tremendous power surges that's real hard on A/C units and electronics. Line voltage can swing from 90V to 150V in a second.

Anyway, another Texan signing in. I don't get by much but I guess I need to change that.
L

Offline markc

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2011, 01:44:39 PM »
Welcome Larry L, nice to have you on the Texas forum.

With regard to wildlife vs cattle, there are no exemptions on taxes. What it is is a reduction in the amount of taxes paid/owed, but of course everyone still pays.

Here is a picture of 1/2 of our wildlife watering system.  It is one qualifying activity, providing supplemental water.

It is 330 gallons, and we will use rain water, when available to re-fill t, and when there isn't sufficient rain water, we have contracted with the Martin Ranch to re-fill it for us. 

Perhaps hard to see, but there is 22' of gutter on the little cabin that empties into a 250 gallon tank. When it rains that is. 
markc