Author Topic: Clear this up  (Read 514 times)

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Clear this up
« on: July 31, 2011, 07:24:14 AM »
 I have a basic understanding of the divisions of Power in the USA Govt.
For the present debacle with the Budget etc. there are only two parts of this division involved as I see it.

Legislative and Executive.

The Legislative part would be Congress, specifically the House since the members there represent the people while the Senate represents the individual States. Correct?

The Executive branch signs into law whatever Congress decides( I know about the Veto power and that it can be overridden)

Why then do I hear from various sides including the Speaker of the House calling for a Plan from the
 WH?
 As I understand the term " Legislative", the Plans should come from Congress. Once the Ping Pong game between the House and Senate gets done, the agreement goes to the Executive branch for the Signature of the Prez.. Correct ?

Where did I err?

What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline Conan The Librarian

• McDonalds. Blecch!
Re: Clear this up
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
The president works with congress especially on budget matters to get his agenda in front of them. It ends up being a dialog. Basically you have a two deliberative bodies cooperating with an executive. This isn't much different than in big businesses where the executive charts the course and keeps people on track. It's leadership.

I think there's a text book version of how bills are passed, but it leave some steps out. For example, it's not uncommon at all for the president to negotiate individually with congressmen to get  votes for a piece of legislation he wants.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »
Like given someone a ride in Air Force One to garner another vote! Yep, I get that.

An Outline from the Prez. isn't a Plan IMO anyway.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 10:12:38 AM »
Thanks TM7.
 Info is processed and stored. :) :)

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:07:06 AM »
The president works with congress especially on budget matters to get his agenda in front of them.

Actually, this president has been pretty much disengaged from congress, all he has done is point fingers and tell them to hurry up, and he has made it clear he wants to spend and tax more. Although not offering any plan at all for fiscal responsibility. He also has used fear mongering and scare tactics to boot to get those two things he wants...spending and taxes. In short, this president does not work with congress on budget matters at all, he has no agenda for that.  His agenda is something else, not sure what it is, cept for spending and taxes...we know that is pretty clear. 
He is still blaming republicans and they haven't been in the picture since 2006 at all...except for about 5 people in the house who just got elected, now it seems this small few who questions things have somehow brought the entire country down. This could be a comedy show, at least they could make their own money by turning it into a sitcom. 

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 11:26:01 AM »
Slightly Off topic however:
THEY CAVED AGAIN !! >:(

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:38 AM »
We have Royal Commissions on top of Committees among others, they tend to be used mostly to drag out decisions the Govt. wishes to avoid, useless and expensive for the unwashed.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 09:31:11 AM »
All bills that authorize spending must orignate in the house .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !