Author Topic: Plain Base vs. Bevel Base cast bullets  (Read 1511 times)

Offline carpediem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Plain Base vs. Bevel Base cast bullets
« on: January 03, 2004, 07:04:17 PM »
Hello All and Happy New Year:

Can anyone give me info and or opinion on the difference between plain base and bevel base cast bullets?

I know the bevel base bullets are easier to seat in the case mouth.  After that, what's the difference?  Is there a difference in accuracy, ballistics, etc?

Thanks for your help.

Kindest regards, :wink:
Carpediem

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2004, 07:42:13 PM »
Plain base bullets most regularly hit the target. Bevel base bullets just as often don't.  :eek:  Dunno why but over the years I've tried them the BB bullets just don't shoot in my guns.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Robert

Copper Jacketed flat base VS. Boat-tails.....
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 08:52:32 PM »
This one has been kicked around on other forums here.  Boat-tail bullets only real advantage is down-range.  
  It would seem to me that if this is true with jackets, it would be true with cast, and since I have not heard of a gas-checked bevel-based cast...that would reduce these bullets to lower velocities...so they aint going anywhere near down-range.......so what would be the sense?
....make it count

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 11:48:04 PM »
what he said
Quote from: Graybeard
Plain base bullets most regularly hit the target. Bevel base bullets just as often don't.  :eek:  Dunno why but over the years I've tried them the BB bullets just don't shoot in my guns.

GB
blue lives matter

Offline Castaway

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 12:11:28 AM »
The only advantage to a bevel based bullet is to the commercial caster.  It's easier to clear the mould with a bevel base than a plain base bullet, add that to a too hard alloy and production is sped  up.  More bullets/hour, more dollars in the pocket.  That's why I cast my own.   As far as being easier to seat, I don't see how.  A slight bell at the case mouth is all you need to get a bullet started.

Offline HR2D2

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 09:31:51 AM »
I agree with Castaway, plain based bullets of proper hardness for your application are the way to go.  I worked for Markell Inc. back in the old days when they cast bullets and plain base, proper hardness and proper size was the mantra.  If you don't cast your own you can shop the internet.  There are casters out there that will provide plain based proper hardness bullets many now for cowboy shooting.

Offline carpediem

• Avid Poster
Thanks guys
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 04:38:01 PM »
Thanks for the info guys.  I took the big step and went into commercial casting.  I bought used equipment and molds.  Some of the mold sets look like they need to be retired.  I am trying to figure out which style, plain base or bevel base, to replace the old molds with.  The molds I am using are Magma and the replacement molds will likely be Magma.  

I am looking for help and suggestions regarding purchasing molds.  Any other mold manufacturers you may suggest, I would be happy to look into.

Kindest regards,
 :wink:
Carpediem

Offline dakotashooter2

• Trade Count: (2)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2004, 09:35:58 AM »
Every BB bullet I have tried has also caused some nasty leading no matter what I have tried.
Just another worthless opinion!!

Offline w30wcf

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 06:32:47 AM »
carpediem,

Well......in my experience, l will say that there are bevel base bullets and there are BEVEL BASE BULLETS!

bevel base bullets:
I have used the .44-40 Magma and .45 Colt magma bullets with very good success. They have a very slight (approx .03") bevel and will shoot with the flat based bullets in my guns with no problem.  

BEVEL BASE BULLETS:
Awhile back I purchased 500 commercial cast 158 gr. SWC that had a large bevel base (at least .10+") and they would not shoot worth a darn in my .357 Rossi's 20" barrel, no matter what I tried .... different powder & different velocities.  Flat based bullets shot well, but these b.b. bullets produced groups 3-4 times larger @ 50 yards.

Hope that helps.
w30wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
Life Member NRA
.22 WCF, .30WCF, .44WCF cartridge historian

Offline HR2D2

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 06:59:27 AM »
Your choice of molds realy depends on what your target market will be.  For IPSC you are looking at 9 MM, 38 Super .40 S&W/10 MM and 45 ACP.  I think Magma makes some of the most popular designs for this sport.  For cowboy action shooting there is a growing market for more traditional designs and softer bullets but also light weight bullets in the big 3 ( 38, 44, 45).  The softer bullets tend to have a higher regect rate due to less tin and antimony.  Also you will find some bullets out there for the black powder shooter with special lubes like SPG.  I feel that Lyman and RCBS offer the best designs for the traditional market without getting into really expensive molds.  Then there are the hunters and silouette shooter where heavy gas check bullets are the market.

All this said, if you want to do something really special you should look at Balisti-Cast's line of molds, they bought the fine Hensley & Gibbs mold line and offer casting machine molds.