Author Topic: What if?  (Read 646 times)

Offline dittles

• Trade Count: (0)
What if?
« on: August 01, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
 I don't have a mold nor a melting pot for making lead golf balls at this time and my cousin and I were pondering. Has anyone ever tried to put  masonry cement into a plastic practice golf ball? Drill a hole in the ball, add cement dry then inject water.  If it works would it punch through a wood 1"X6"? He has an old barn that needs to be torn down and he wants me to bring the golf ball Parrot  and try "hitting the broad side of a barn" at 300 yards.  I figure that the cement filled balls would shatter upon impact thus cutting down on the risk of them flying back our way.   (Or is this just crazy talk?) :o

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: What if?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:16:32 PM »
I don't have a mold nor a melting pot for making lead golf balls at this time and my cousin and I were pondering. Has anyone ever tried to put  masonry cement into a plastic practice golf ball? Drill a hole in the ball, add cement dry then inject water.  If it works would it punch through a wood 1"X6"? He has an old barn that needs to be torn down and he wants me to bring the golf ball Parrot  and try "hitting the broad side of a barn" at 300 yards.  I figure that the cement filled balls would shatter upon impact thus cutting down on the risk of them flying back our way.   (Or is this just crazy talk?) :o

Order some zinc or steel golf balls from the Cannon classified.  After you shoot them, you go pick them up and and shot them again and again.

Offline dittles

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 06:38:00 PM »

Double D are you referring to Fox's steel balls and if so I thought it was a limited run on them.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:38 PM »

Double D are you referring to Fox's steel balls and if so I thought it was a limited run on them.

Yes and the run is not sold out, that is why the ad is still up.

Rotometals also has them in zinc.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:07:15 PM »
Is the wood gone beyond repair ? I know alot of old barn wood is used in decoating these days .....

Would a fox ball penatrate 1" at 300 yds from a parrot gun ..... my guess would ,yep .
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Spuddy

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 01:20:49 AM »
Is the wood gone beyond repair ? I know alot of old barn wood is used in decoating these days .....

Would a fox ball penatrate 1" at 300 yds from a parrot gun ..... my guess would ,yep .

;D

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:12:17 AM »
I shoot 4" pvc pipe filled with concrete.  Is that crazy?  A little.   ;)

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline little seacoast

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
  • Let them get just a little closer...
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:15 AM »
Yeah you can fill the hollow practice gold balls.  Use a brad point .5" drill and make a nice clean hole, then fill with fiber reinforced cement- no gravel in it.  Place ball hole up in a pan deeper than the ball is tall, fill the pan with water and let sit 1~2 hours.  Remove and let dry.  You can also fill them with #8 bird shot and use an epoxy putty to seal the hole.
America has no native criminal class except Congress.   Sam Clemens

Offline dittles

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 09:07:37 AM »
Yeah you can fill the hollow practice gold balls.  Use a brad point .5" drill and make a nice clean hole, then fill with fiber reinforced cement- no gravel in it.  Place ball hole up in a pan deeper than the ball is tall, fill the pan with water and let sit 1~2 hours.  Remove and let dry.  You can also fill them with #8 bird shot and use an epoxy putty to seal the hole.

Thanks little seacoast! I also knew that if I mentioned "barn" that someone would question the condition of the wood! As for the condition I don't know for I haven't seen the barn, it's in another state. Besides if we go through with it, there should still be some salvageable wood left.......then again maybe not  ;D .