Author Topic: lube or not lube that is the question  (Read 1002 times)

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
lube or not lube that is the question
« on: August 02, 2011, 02:49:50 AM »
I'm new to cast bullets.  Should I always lube even slow pistol ammo 800fps or less. tried the tumble lube and it was a mess. how do you finger lube?
Thanks
Bob

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: lube or not lube that is the question
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 03:00:43 AM »
In the instructions that come with Lee moulds they say all lead bullets need to be lubed but not all need to be sized. The grease groove needs to be filled . I have only done "finger lube" on ML bullets using bore butter . I just smear it into the groves on the bullet and clear off extra with a finger . I like to leave the lube even with the bullet side .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rescue_171

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 03:50:45 AM »
I tried that once just to see for my self... I was loading 38 specials and I wanted to see if lubing was really needed. My normal load with tumble lubed bullets don't lead at all. So I loaded 5 bullets without lube. After only 5 shots I had pretty substantial leading in my barrel so I would advise to always lube your bullets. A quick and easy way is with Lee Alox.

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:58 AM »
Ya Bob , you need some type of lube on cast bullets , when you tried the Tumble lube what type of mess did you have ?

Using too much lube wil realy make a mess in a hurry .  ;D  trust me on this one !  ;) 

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline rescue_171

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »
I like the tumble lube... Put a couple hundred in a butter bowl squirt some lube in, Shake for a few min and pour out on wax paper and let them dry overnight.

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:07 PM »
  Stimpylu is correct (like usual) All cast bullets have to have some form of lube on them. Unless you like cleaning the lead out of a barrel
  99% of people put too much LLA on there bullets. If the lube can be easily seen on the flat surfaces there is too much on the bullets. If you go to the Cast Boolit website an in there stickie section there is a complete descriptions with pictures of how to tumble lube bullets.
  With LLA or XLOX the lube gruves do not have to be filled. Just the flat surfaces where the bullet contacts the barrel need lubricant.
  Kevin

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:03:32 AM »
Thanks for the info. It just made the bullet sticky, I must have used to much.  Once you get the ammo loaded can you run them in tumbler to clean them up?

Bob

Offline kbstenberg

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 02:54:45 PM »
  I have multiple answers.
  Yes I have read of people tumbling there reloads for a final cleaning. But to me it sends chills down my spine thinking of live primers clunking against the rim of the cartridge next to it. But some do it all the time. I just thought. When you clean your finished rounds in a tumbler a lot of the lube (LLA) is absorbed by the cleaning media, thus shortening its life.
  As long as the shells are loaded why not just shoot them the way they are? They may smoke a little more than a bullet properly lubed but that comes from the lube that will be below where the cleaning media can reach. An the lube above the shell caseing doesn't do anything anyway

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 05:24:24 AM »
Lube on the case gets in the chamber and can/may cause over pressure problems by taking up room the case would normally expand into

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »
 kbstenberg, I DON"T think we are talking about "tumbling" the loaded ammo here. Just tumbling the BULLETS in Lee Liquid Alox. Hence the term "Tumble lube"! I am another believer in lubing all cast bullets to prevent leading the bore. Lee alox, RCBS or MOLY, some thing has to seal the bore/bullet connection.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:08 AM »
I thought the lube kept the lead from sticking to the bbl .   

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 10:44:18 PM »
i find it is easier to put them in a zip lock bag with some alox then work them around till coated then dump them on wax paper to dry. i been using johnson past wax thinned with a little mineral sperits on my 357 bullets so far no leading not as sticky and messy as alox shot a 150 the other day. lubed a 150 bullets today.