Author Topic: SB2 old style conversion, is this possible? -Update  (Read 819 times)

Offline sitdwnandhngon

• Trade Count: (0)
SB2 old style conversion, is this possible? -Update
« on: August 02, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »
Does anyone have an idea if this can be done?

Lately I have been having issues with the transfer bar getting caught on the bottom of the firing pin unless I tip the barrel up. That coupled with the occasional light strike has prompted me to search for an alternative.

Is it possible to get the hammer and whatever other parts are necessary to convert it a straight hammer drop gun with the 1/4 cock feature?

I tried to hone the edge of the bar but it didn't help much. I think on this hunting rifle that old style hammer would be best for reliability, especially when I'm prone and can't get the darn thing to cock without lifting the barrel.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: SB2 old style conversion, is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 01:22:27 PM »
If you mean the "gold hammer" conversion, then yes it can. You might PM Tim and see if he still has the part numbers.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:32:51 PM »
Did they used to come with a rebounding hammer?

I am a little leary of it resting on the firing pin in full release while sitting the closest or something, doesn't seem like the best thing for it.

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 01:33:33 PM »
Thank you, searching for gold hammer conversion brings up much more info.  :)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 01:37:56 PM »
Like most everything else, it's already in the FAQs.....see the low profile hammer mods. I've done a couple, but it's certainly not ideal, as Joe said, the hammer rests on the firing pin which is not only unsafe when loaded, but it also pushes it thru the standing breech face which may cause a problem when opening and closing the action, so you always have to remember to use the half cock position, I won't hunt with either of mine, they're range guns only..... pretty much like most of mine!  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:08:50 PM »
Just to clarify quickly.

All I need for the mod is the 158 hammer from Numrich and the double torsion spring correct?

I read through the posts but had trouble following at times.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
The 280080 is the one you want if you don't want the gold tone, but they're out of stock. Wolff makes new extra power double coil springs, you can buy direct from them or Midway, link in the FAQs, I'm not keen on buying springs from Numrich, all that I've bought were used, so I don't buy springs from them any more.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:14:00 PM »
I grabbed the gold one, it will look neat I think.

Thanks for the help.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:04 PM »
If I understand it correctly, the TB unit currently used by the factory is a return to an older style the previously used, which will solve your problem.
A 'creative' fellow could convert the existing hammer to have full impact at the F-pin, but I cannot recommend this, for obvious reasons, and you will have the drawbacks as mentioned above, just like so many older rifles have.

"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline sitdwnandhngon

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 02:19:54 AM »
I wouldn't modify the existing hammer. That's asking for trouble. Maybe if the world ended and the system malfunctioned I would go for it.

It would be really nice if it was possible to set it up as a rebounding hammer with a 1/2 cock position, there is no reason that setup would be unsafe, at least for anyone with a few ounces of gun safety sense.

Safety is paramount for me, and this rifle is a 100% sitting rifle so hopefully it fixes my issues. When I drive or stalk I break out the 30/30 or shotgun.

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 03:11:28 AM »
Why not just replace your wornout T-bar with a new one?  Less money and work than converting to the old style system and much safer.

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline sitdwnandhngon

Re: SB2 old style conversion, is this possible? -Update
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2011, 07:51:05 AM »
I highly recommend this mod to anyone comfortable enough to work on their Handi.

After installing the new hammer and double coil spring and removing the transfer bar system and trigger extender I am getting awesome primer strikes every single time.

I set the trigger to about 4 lbs and it breaks very cleanly. My hammer showed up with a little bit of the gold stuff flaking off though, but I can't complain I guess for an 11 dollar fix.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Re: SB2 old style conversion, is this possible? -Update
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2011, 03:16:58 PM »
It sounds to be like you may have a weak spring on the hinge of your T-bar.  A new T-bar (with spring) is very reasonable as is the replacement spring.  I bought the gold hammer for my 30-30 when I was having misfire problems but solved that by gettting a little more fireing pin protrusion so the gold hammer sits in my parts box.  I'd much rather have a functioning t-bar than the 'old' system.  It's too easy to bend the firing pin when opening the action without putting the hammer on half cock with the old system.  I saw that with an old 30-30 once.  They couldn't figure out why the breach wouldn't open but they weren't putting the hammer on half cock and bent the firing pin in the meantime.  Just my thoughts.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!