Author Topic: My First Brass Barrel Project  (Read 1407 times)

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (21)
    • Black Powder Cannons & Mortars
My First Brass Barrel Project
« on: August 03, 2011, 02:28:50 PM »
I was sent a chunk of brass a couple months ago to make a cheroot cane.  Here it is.  Photo below.
It is 1-1/4" OD x 6" oal, with a 30 caliber [5/16"] bore.  The socket fits a 1" diameter stick.  I had a blast shooting it today.  I used 15 grains of 3F powder and a .300" round lead ball.   :) :)     Dom

Offline FFFg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 18th century "crouching tiger" mortar
Re: My First Brass Barrel Project
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 07:27:54 PM »
Hey Dom,

If that cannon unscrewed............I'd think I had, in a small way some influence on it :) Looks great! check your PM and add brass as another question ;D

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 08:23:28 PM »
It must have been a differant age ? I can't imagine having to actualy 'depend' on that cane gun being reliable enough to 'whack' a ner do well with a bullet? :o

It's a very nice brass cane head  8) . Honestly I think I'd rather 'smack' a ner do well with the brass cannon right between the horns! ;)   Shive him up .... roll 'em over the deck . Then a nice cherote and a bourbon , neat .

Dom have you given any thought to some sort of 'wheel lock' made up of Bic lighter parts ?

Gary

"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline BoomLover

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 04:27:17 AM »
Is it just me, or are there no pics on this one? Comments indicate there are, but I don't see anything...BoomLover
"Beware the Enemy With-in, for these are perilous times! Those who promise to protect and defend our Constitution, but do neither, should be evicted from public office in disgrace!

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 04:37:38 AM »
Must be the "My Hosted Pics" problem again.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 04:49:28 AM »
My Hosted Pics is down again.  I believe Matt is working on the problem.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:12:45 AM »
The pics were up last night ?
today I can't see them. 

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 06:41:43 AM »
I like it in brass, Dom; if you put a realistic looking chem. patina on that, it would have some thinking that it was an antique. 
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 07:32:07 AM »
John,

Great idea a patina...down side your hand would wear it away.  Upside your hand and the natural oils will give this a natural patination.

Of course that is if you have need of a cane in everyday use...for a short time after my kne replacement surgery, I was using a cane---a Zulu Knobkerrie, but a cannon cane would been nice also.

Maybe we all should by these canes  for our first aid kit.   I know we are not planning on becoming crippled up but we do have bandaids in the medicine cabinet for a contingencies don't we. Gee if you needed a cane as a medical device, I wonder if you could deduct one of theses cannon canes on your taxes.

Offline jeeper1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
I need a cane to walk. I have 2 ugly ones now and a third good looking one would be nice.
 My concern is the joint between the two pieces. Is it strong enough for the weight I would be putting on it?
I may not be completely sane, but at least I don't think I have the power to influence the weather.

Offline gulfcoastblackpowder

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
That looks great in brass!  Plus, the smooth lines of it should fit comfortably in hand.  I think the depth of the socket, the wood choice/amount of runout, and the fitment of the wood would be the biggest factors in how much strength it could support.  Other cane heads are attached similarly enough.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 01:37:31 PM »
That head could be investment cast as one piece which would make it stronger but I think you would still have to roll your hand across the length of the barrel as putting force on the ends would still tend to break it.  Maybe make it from stainless steel for greater strength and corrosion resistance.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2011, 07:31:45 AM »

Dom have you given any thought to some sort of 'wheel lock' made up of Bic lighter parts ?

Gary

Gary,  That would be an interesting set-up.  A little complex in building and attaching, especially to brass. It should work though.

I like it in brass, Dom; if you put a realistic looking chem. patina on that, it would have some thinking that it was an antique. 

I'm thinking of polishing the next one.  Good idea though.    :) 

I need a cane to walk. I have 2 ugly ones now and a third good looking one would be nice.
 My concern is the joint between the two pieces. Is it strong enough for the weight I would be putting on it?

This one is drilled and attached with a 5/16" bolt.  It is strong enough to support weight.  I think the materizal is C360 brass.  When I tried to weld the joint, it sputtered and popped because of the lead content.  I may try 464 naval brass and weld the joint on the next one.  I'm not sure how the stuff will machine though.   

That head could be investment cast as one piece which would make it stronger but I think you would still have to roll your hand across the length of the barrel as putting force on the ends would still tend to break it.  Maybe make it from stainless steel for greater strength and corrosion resistance.

George,  Stainless steel is a good idea.   The other alternative for one to look brass, would be to make it from steel and have it brass plated.

Dom

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »
That looks great in brass!  Plus, the smooth lines of it should fit comfortably in hand.  I think the depth of the socket, the wood choice/amount of runout, and the fitment of the wood would be the biggest factors in how much strength it could support.  Other cane heads are attached similarly enough.

This one would use a 1" diameter shaft.   I can get Oak dowel up to 1-1/2" diameter.  that would be a massive cane.  Perhaps a one inch bore?  :o   :o

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »

This one would use a 1" diameter shaft.   I can get Oak dowel up to 1-1/2" diameter.  that would be a massive cane.  Perhaps a one inch bore?  :o   :o
A 1" bore would be no joke.  You could load it with shot, and it would be highly effective, even with a short bore.   ;D

A 1.5" shaft would work well for a walking stick, though would be a bit on the beefy side for a cane, I think.  ;)

I'd stick with a natural patination.  Bronze/brass will develop it very nicely (polished works best for even results), especially if you wipe it down with a dirty cleaning patch.

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 12:34:49 PM »
You inspired me, here is one I started today. From my knife making experience I know that a 5" handle is most comfortable for most people. This one is 5 1/8 inches long, 1 5/8 at it's thickest, 1 1/8 at the muzzle, bored and reamed to .50 cal. to 4 1/8" The "trunnion" is half an inch and as soon as I have it affixed I will bore the vent. It will sit nicely on 15/16ths shaft, or as I intend, turning one in the wood lathe and seat it properly.
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
You did a fine job on your cannon/handle, IvarForkbeard.

John,

Great idea a patina...down side your hand would wear it away.  Upside your hand and the natural oils will give this a natural patination.

Of course that is if you have need of a cane in everyday use...for a short time after my kne replacement surgery, I was using a cane---a Zulu Knobkerrie, but a cannon cane would been nice also.

Maybe we all should by these canes  for our first aid kit.   I know we are not planning on becoming crippled up but we do have bandaids in the medicine cabinet for a contingencies don't we. Gee if you needed a cane as a medical device, I wonder if you could deduct one of theses cannon canes on your taxes.

DD and jeeper1's posts got me thinking about the original use of cheroot canes, and by their usually slim appearance I'd guess that they were more of a gentleman's accessory than a cane meant to support a man's weight, because of an injured or disabled leg. If you were going to make it more of a utilitarian cane, maybe a Rodman or Dahlgren would be a good choice for the barrel; these tubes smooth surfaces would lessen the chance of irritating the palm of a person's hand supporting the bodies weight, and their bulkier profiles would look more proportionately balanced when joined to a thicker hardwood dowel.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »
A lot of what appears in this thread and is written about makes me believe their is certainly the innovation, vision and talent out there to design a version of this to putt golf balls.  Any takers?

GOW

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 04:06:49 AM »
Trying to improve your golf game like Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack?  If your stroke isn't very good, just shoot the ball at the hole!  ;D

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 04:11:01 AM »
delete

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 04:53:50 AM »
I wonder if one could drill (and tap) two touch holes... one on the top and one on the bottom and then plug one or the other with a 4-40 or 6-32 brass set-screw??  ...might need a dab of blue locktite (242) to keep it/them in place "until the next round".

GOW

Offline dominick

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 07:53:26 AM »
IvarForkbeard,  Nice job on your cane.  How are you planning to attach the pieces?  Dom

Offline IvarForkbeard

• Avid Poster
  • Former US Navy BB stacker
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2011, 07:59:45 AM »
I had them silver soldered....In the future I will thread them.
Former US Navy, living in West Michigan