Author Topic: A Handi for the wife?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: A Handi for the wife?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »
Back when the wife and I lived in furnished apartments, I got that little single stage, C-type Lee Press.  It now sells for under $40.00, back then it was free if you bought a specific set of dies.  I mounted it on a piece of wood 2X6 about three feet long.  I clamped that to the kitchen table, or the balcony railing,  when I wanted to reload.  Upgraded to the Challenger press, but kept the same board.  I used the Challenger press, an RCBS scale, and the Lee case trimming set up.  I was only loading .308, and .45LCs back then.  Kept it simple.  When not in use it everything was in a box except the press and board.  They were hidden in the back of a closet, out of sight, and out of the way.

Today I still use the Lee case trimmers, I have an RCBS case trimmer screwed to the bench, but it's takes too long to set it up each time I change calibers.  I only use it for the Weatherby, LEE does not make Weatherby trimmers.  I use an RCBS digital powder measure and scale.  I have three presses screwed to the bench, two Lees and an RCBS.  I have a Hornady press in a box under the table.  I use the Lee Chalenger press for depriming and resizing.  I use the RCBS for seating bullets.  And I use that little LEE C-type press for crimping if needed.

The wife and my son only use the LEEs.  The wife likes that little LEE for her .38s and 357s.  She uses an RCBS powder measure, she does not like the Digital Scale.  My son uses the Lee Challenger almost exclussively he hates the RCBS press.  I have a Hornady Turrent press, I just have not set it up yet.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2011, 04:15:22 PM »
I've not used the hand press, but have seen it recommended by many as a step up from the Lee Loader for those with limited reloading space.

Tacklebury, I use my Lee Loader to start the bullet seating process before using my bench mounted press, adds an additonal step and time, but it starts the bullet perfectly straight so the press can finish the job, that should help with the hand press too.  ;)

Tim

Good thought.  8)  I may have to give that a go.

Posted by: ratdog« on: Today at 08:54:48 AM »
  • quikto i like the lee hand press but your hand get sore after a while needs to be more user friendly like there hand held primer seater that the best thing i have ever used. i have used there loading dies 0 problems same with bullet molds they make great stuff and not over priced.[/l][/l]
I would agree with you on the hand soreness Ratdog.  I do look forward to having a better setup at some point, but it has given me a lot more "leeway" with being able to load for other calibers than the old rap-n-tap. ;)
[/list]
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline Fred McIntire

• Trade Count: (31)
  • A Real Regular
    • http://www.FredMcIntire.Com
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
A Handi for the wife?, sounds like a fair trade!  ;D

I'm not sure about that. She remains to be seen !  ;D

I would vote for the .44 Remington Magnum Handi Rifle. I love mine !

Offline yukondog

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (43)
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2011, 08:09:43 PM »
Given the choices between the 357, 44mag. or the 45LC as ammo choice goes I'd pick the 44mag.
an unloaded wepon is equal to the same mass and volume as a rock.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2011, 11:02:06 PM »
If you're only going to shoot factory round, then I agree the .44 mag is best.  If you reload, it's a coin toss between the .44 mag and the .45 Colt.  If you rechambered a .357 mag to .357 Max, then they all start getting close again with hand loads.

I bought a Lee Hand press when I was in college and kept it and all my reloading supplies I had in an old military fool locker my father gave to me.  I could set up and reload on a TV tray but I usually loaded round on the kitchen table since the scale would be more stable there.  However I did decap, size and prime cases on a TV tray...  I still use the hand press once in a while, it's too useful to toss.

Lack of space isn't a much that much of a reason to put off reloading if you choose the right equipment.

Tony