Author Topic: Your favorite stocks?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
Your favorite stocks?
« on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:53 AM »
I was wondering what your best shooting/feeling stocks are on your Handis? I don't have much trouble from my BC due to the weight but my Hornet with pallet stocks just seem hard to hold for me. I always shoot heavy guns and bows cause I seem to steady them better.

I am leaning toward the laminates since they add weight and that is something I'm after, whats the opinion of the Survivor like stocks I see some of you guys using?

BTW, loaded and shot my best load and group yesterday from my Topper barrel in Hornet  .795 and .555 for 2, 3 shot groups at 50 yds. Shooting 13gr LilGun w/ Sierra 40gr hp's  ;D   ;D

And...... I've had my eye on CW's black/yellow laminates he has, any chance you're growing tired of them CW?  ::)  A color deserving of the Hornet round  ;)   .DT

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Your favorite stocks?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 07:00:39 AM »
I prefer thumholes I have three of them and ultra varment two of them
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 07:28:20 AM »
My favorites are the checkered synthetics and the TDC.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline .Dirty-.30

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »
Fine looking specimens there Tim  ;D   Do you notice different accuracy and feel from one stock type to the next? Or is it me  ::)   

If I can get my Hornet to lay like my Marlin .444, The Marlin just lays there on the rest and everytime you touch the trigger, it touchs the last bullet hole with that one, very dependable. I figure its the weight, it probably goes 9 pound or more. I was looking through the photo thread and CW has a thumbhole stock setup he called a stinger, looked great and looked heavy.

Jason are you shooting the Boyds thumbholes? What do think about weight compared to a pallet set?

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 07:36:39 AM »
I didnt care for the balance with the PW, PG stock on my H&R, and the recoil pad was not needed nor the extra length of it. I put on a plain hardpad and it helped.
If you put on the CR Carbine wood it will look and feel more like a traditional sgl. shot and handle pretty quickly, but you have to like a straight wrist (or whittle the PW to straight).
I am not a syn. guy, but some of the trim syn. models look promising.
For my 38-55TM (TDC walnut) and 45-70 UH (cin.lam. UV) I have the PG/RP stocks and really like the handling and 'straight' recoil impulse over the BC type, which I like the looks of, but the TDC walnut is nice if you prefer a PG.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
Fine looking specimens there Tim  ;D   Do you notice different accuracy and feel from one stock type to the next? Or is it me  ::)   

If I can get my Hornet to lay like my Marlin .444, The Marlin just lays there on the rest and everytime you touch the trigger, it touchs the last bullet hole with that one, very dependable. I figure its the weight, it probably goes 9 pound or more. I was looking through the photo thread and CW has a thumbhole stock setup he called a stinger, looked great and looked heavy.

For bench shooting, the heavier stocks are nice, but for hunting, I like the lighter weight of the syn or walnut, don't care for the smooth pallet wood when they're wet, the checkering makes a difference there. I hunted with my straight stocked lam 30-30AI one year and decided I didn't care for the straight stock at all, prefer the pistol grip, otherwise the BC stock would be added to my favorites, I have one with a recoil pad, so the steel butt plate wouldn't be an issue with recoil.

The stinger stock is made by www.Gunstocksinc.com

Thanks,

Tim

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 08:04:55 AM »
Laminated Thumbhole, that's my favorite.  Second is the pallet wood MC, painted with a rough texture paint to make it easy to grip.
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline Fred M

• GBO Supporter
    • Fred The Reloader and Wildcatter
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:31 AM »
Here are a couple of reworked stocks and lightened 24" barrels by milling octagon.

Both rifles were rebored and rechamberd from 223 to,  top 257 Roberts and bottom 6x47. Both rifles are perfectly balanced and come into action very quickly
with outstanding accuray. My idea of a Handi rifle.

Fred M.
From Alberta Canada.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:34:48 AM »
Fred, do I detect triangular 'cheeks' ate the rear of the action? Very nice indeed! I sense a winter project forming........
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 08:36:40 AM »
I also like the Checkered MC Syn. for hunting with the new plastic thumbhold is working. But my alltime favorite is the checkered lams from early mid 1990's or they may of been the first lams that H&R had made but they have a much thinner grip area than the latter ones the ones I have are from 4 guns from 94-96. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 09:42:28 AM »
Fred, do I detect triangular 'cheeks' ate the rear of the action? Very nice indeed! I sense a winter project forming........

Fred has high res pics of his stock work on his website, it is indeed very nice work.

Tim

http://www.angelfire.com/ma/ZERMEL/257wp3.html

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 03:31:49 PM »
I prefer straight grip stocks on Handis.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »
I grew up with mostly straight wrist rifles and PGs seemed 'odd' to me for years. Once I got involved in offhand and bench target shooting the PGs position my hand much better to get the trigger finger on for a light touch nicely inline. The straight wrist seems best for field use to me now, and the many upland shotgunners with them would probably agree.
Point is, you will most likely hit better with something that feels right to you and that you are used to.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline ratdog

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 09:17:42 PM »
 :) nice carving Fred.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 12:39:58 AM »
I like Fred's the best!!  :)
I too choose the laminates. The extra weight aids in a steady hold, they are a natural for a "handy" guy to do what Fred has so beautifully accomplished.
My favorite colors are the red/black and yellow/black followed closely by all black and green/black. Cinn is nice but my least favorite in factory trim...

Sorry man, No I'm not "tired" of it yet. ;)
CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Steve Gold

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 09:45:41 AM »
Synthetic youth stocks on my two. Scoped 44 shortie has a small bag of lead and plastic foam for balance. 12 ga shortie has no weight added, it it a pleasure to carry in the woods and balances well, but needs a tight hold when fired to manage the recoil. If I had the beautiful wood stocks that some of you guys have I would worry to much about dings and scratches.

Steve

Offline Cascade Pete

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 12:02:18 PM »
I seem to have become very partial to the Stocks on the Huntsman and The Shikari. The just feel right and seem to complete the rifles. The Longer, fatter grip surface seems to work for me. I wish they would bring that style back...
Life Memeber, NAHC
Ordained Minister
Confirmed Wood Loafer

Offline olafhardtB

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 12:10:41 PM »
I like the plain wood factory stocks. I don't like checkering, it feels scratchy and collects mud. Also I guess I am cheap. I don't like Monte carlo humps. I low mount all of my sighting apparati.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 04:09:06 PM »
I wish I had bought one of those Boyd's stocks when they were available.   I have Boyd's stocks on 2 of my other rifles and they're great...

Tony

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 04:23:46 PM »
My favorite is the BC of the H&R offerings.  I don't shoot the .45-70 without a slip on recoil pad though.  Don't like catching the point in my chest if I pull up for a quick shot.  ouch!  hehe
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline DaGris

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 07:14:32 PM »
I love my Handi Grip stock on my .243
also have a Varmint stock on my.270, like it too, but like the Handi stock better

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »
I seem partial to the Stocks on the Huntsman and The Shikari. I wish they would bring that style back...

+1

Spanky

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
My favorite are the GSI's I got from Tim.   They have a high roll-over comb that line up just perfectly with my scope.   I also worked the grip a bit to the point it feels like it was molded to my hand.   Its heavy, but it feels great.

I have another set I'm working on for one of my Buff's.

RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 01:35:06 PM »
I like the Cin Laminated stocks. My first Handi was a 223 Ultra Varmint. When I added 2 barrels and another frame, I bought another stock and fore ends to match. I then bought two more barrels for my extra frame and you guessed it, two more fore ends, so each barrel has it's own.

BTW the avitar is my 223 Ultra Varmint

Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10:35 PM »
i will tell you what  I DON"T  LIKE

a rifle sighted stock  with  a scope added as an after thought

that  is why  it took so long to get a 44 and  357....now they are ''scope ready''

that  is why i don't  own a  30-30  handi......all  have an  ill-fitted stock

i do  like the thumb hole stock  on my  45-70 stainless  the best
but  then  i shoot left handed  about 25% of the time...but not with this on

i am   afraid to try  the'' handi grip''..........i might end up  with a dozen of them
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 02:45:31 PM »
The TDC is the best.  The laminates are just too heavy.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 07:43:51 PM »
Fred, that's some nice work.  I guess I agree with cwlongshot
I like Fred's the best!!  :)

CW
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.