Author Topic: Blanks.  (Read 979 times)

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
Blanks.
« on: August 05, 2011, 07:40:25 AM »
I have been reading all of the different postings on an interest in this caliber or that caliber.  Or how to go from this caliber to that.
Why don't we get together and order blank barrels from Remington.  Barrels made to fit but not chambered.
would be a perfect sell point for 4D reamers to sell blank barrels.  Want to make 30 Mauser, 300 Whisper/ Black out, 30 GNR, 30 harret, get a 308 barrel and ream it out.  Stick the sights you want on it.
I figure Remington would be more than willing to sell a few hundred barrels in calibers they are already making with out the chamber.  I think some of the more exotic barrels could be made with a large enough order like 6.5mm bore size.
Heck with a blank 17 barrel you can ream it to 209 shot gun primer and have a super pellet rifle, but not sure how many other thna me would want such a thing as well as my idea of a buffalo classic in another caliber than 45-70.

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
Re: Blanks.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 07:43:54 AM »
I am all for it I want a 7-30 waters barrels handi
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 09:12:03 AM »
H&R has stated several times that unchambered barrels will never leave the factory. Thinking about it, they have some liability if someone were to chamber one of their barrels in an unsafe caliber like 270 WSM. :o  Also, how many people would send back their receivers after they were stretched? How would H&R determine if it was from an unsafe chambering or a manufacturing defect?

They have a good system...

Thanks, Dinny

Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Sourdough

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 11:41:49 AM »
Just imagine if some fool chambered up a 30-378 and tried to fire it.  I know that is a bit extreme, but there is always someone who is too stupid to know better. 
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:09:31 PM »
I think the primer blast of the 209 would maybe blow the skirt off a pellet. The phrase,'great minds think alike' (or is it, birds of a feather'?) comes to mind. At one time I made .22 pellet pistol loads with a breech seater for the pellet backed by a .22 blank to shoot bullseye practice in my basement. WAYYYY more trouble than just using an air pistol, but, boys being what they (we) are.....
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Jason F

• Trade Count: (261)
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »
The sportsmans guide sells that 223 shell you put a 209 primer and a 22 pellet in it
handi rifles- 22 mag      22 hornet    223      7mm-08      308 chip shot     30-30 x2     30-06 shorty      358 cheez whiz     357 max     35 remington     375-08    410 rifled slug     454 casull     460 s&w     45 smokeless muzzleloader x2     45-70    50 huntsman    50-70 government shikari     20 ga.ush     12 ga.ush    12 ga.3 1/2     10 ga.imp.cyl. slug gun

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 03:49:34 PM »
I looked at them, then decided the money was better spent on more pellets for my 'Air Rifle'.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2011, 06:30:21 PM »
I made a few out of 223 cases and 209 primers worked ok .But they are way more difficult to play with than a plain air rifle. Also did some out of Hornet cases and pistol primers they also worked ok but sure lots louder than and air rifle. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 05:49:19 AM »
When I first saw this topic I thought it was going to be about 'blank loads', and certainly wondered why. Now I kinda morphed it into shooting pellets (Sorry, OP!). I take off down rabbit trails sometimes; its like sitting in a pub with you guys........
I agree that the factory is unlikely to ever do this, from their perspective it is like," and this works for us how?". I like the idea though.
      ><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 06:12:27 AM »
It's been suggested and discussed about a million times over the years, ain't gonna happen unfortunately.  :-\
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »
I don't blame them for not selling barrel blanks. It's too much of a liabillity issue.

Spanky

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 09:40:35 AM »
I want a Buffalo Classic in 30-30 and with Ballard rifling.  I also want a regular Handi in 30-30 with Ballard rifling.

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 12:00:18 PM »
They could get around the liability issue if they selected say 5 or 6 custom shops as designated dealers.  Th custom shops under contract will not sell them unchambered or for rounds above certain pressure specs.

You can already overload a '06 or .35 Wheelen to blow up an action.  So I'd say most of this liability stuff is bull...

Tony

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 12:23:52 PM »
The previous H&R/Marlin marketing director wanted a custom shop, but it never happened, they wouldn't even listen to their own managers.  ::)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
Just imagine if some fool chambered up a 30-378 and tried to fire it.  I know that is a bit extreme, but there is always someone who is too stupid to know better.
And nothing is there to stop the same fool from doing it with a 30-06 barrel now.  Or over loading a 30-06 ctg trying to make a 180 grain bullet hit 4,000 FPS.
Of course like other swap barrel top break guns there are going to be caliber limitations.  The barrel may be able to take the pressure of the 30-378 but the action will not and a simple sheet of what pressures can be handled by the action.
The Contender by T/C has limitations with ammo that the factory chambers.  223 ammo is ok, but 5.56 Nato is not and you see pressure signs.  Almost every other gun can shoot the two interchangably.
Going larger is not the problem.  Going smaller is.  I thought the blanks would be used to make shorter rounds like 32-20, 7.62X25, 30 Whisper or any of the short case pistol rounds in barrels they already make.
I guess I have a business if I can come up with the capital to make barrels for Handi Rifles in custome lengths and calibers for a reasonable price.

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2011, 08:44:02 AM »
I want a Buffalo Classic in 30-30 and with Ballard rifling.  I also want a regular Handi in 30-30 with Ballard rifling.
I too want a 30-30 BC.   I can see over time if enough requsts came in for different rifleing or twist rates them going to it.
I was just commenting on H&R offering current rifleing and lentghs in popular calibers to make barrels with shorter than offerend chambers.  Like takong a 308 barrel and making 32-20 easily out of it.  If you want to make a 300 WM any of the 30 calibers H&R already chambers would work.  Ream out a 30-06, 30-30 or 308Win to 300 WM and load it to 30-06 pressure.
As others have pointed out about 270WSM, I never figured they would offer a 270 barrel as a blank as there are not many 270 ctg options that meet the pressure limitations.  224, 308 and 375 were the three I was thinking of.   
224 could be used in may ctgs and seeing how many have asked for the 5.7X28 and more options
the 308 as I already said could do a bunch of pistol calibers and the 375 could do some of the JDJ options.  A handi in almost a 375H&H sounds like a handfull or more like a sore shoulder but could be done as well as other ideas similar to it.

Offline gcrank1

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 09:43:02 AM »
Ive been asking H&R, through its various incarnations, for the Target Model in 30-30, or at least the 32-40 if they want to keep a nostalgia chambering to sister to the discontinued 38-55, since about '07. I dont think they really understand their market base, but then, they are the ones in business, not me, so what do I know.

><   ->
357Mag Schuetzen Special

Offline thejanitor

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (59)
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 09:52:40 AM »
Problem is if they did offer say 5 caliber blank barrel options, 8 out of 10 of us would want a faster or slower twist.... the idea is cool but just way too many variables even if the liability wasn't a problem.... just look at each time somone strikes up a new poll asking which of these three do you like vote for A, B or C. Never fails there is options up to the letter L by the time the OP even gets back to read it. So as cool of a group as we have here we can't agree on enough to decide what to order to cater in for the GBO Christmas party let alone new chamberings... :)
OK there isn't a GBO Christmas party that I am aware of it was just an example....
Good luck!  thejanitor

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:51 PM »
Two words... barrel stubs. There's plenty of guys out there doing stubs and you can use whatever barrel you want.

Spanky

Offline dave29

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (93)
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Two words... barrel stubs. There's plenty of guys out there doing stubs and you can use whatever barrel you want.

Spanky

Yep, I agree.  ;)

Offline BCall

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 01:54:54 PM »
And nothing is there to stop the same fool from doing it with a 30-06 barrel now.  Or over loading a 30-06 ctg trying to make a 180 grain bullet hit 4,000 FPS.

The difference being that if this fool does it to an already chambered rifle it would be hard to sue H&R for anything faulty. They provided a safe product and only by someone tampering with it did it become unsafe.

If they sold a blank, some scum lawyer could find a way to blame them for someone else's stupidity by saying that they were at fault by selling an unfinished product that had the potential to hurt someone. Complete BS, but with this litigation happy society we live in now, it is a reality.

I don't like the fact that we can't get barrel blanks, there are a number of different calibers I would like to own, but it just ain't gonna happen, unless I do a stub. You don't see T/C selling blank barrels, or any custom maker for that matter do you? Chambered barrels yes, too much liability otherwise. It's a shame that it is that way, but it is what it is.

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
The only other is a minimalist approach. Lobby for the smallest case, and the fastest twist in each caliber. If you had a 30carbine , for example, you can then ream to whatever 30 cal you want. Like a 357- you can maxi it, 357 Herrett it, 35 Remington it, 358 winchester it. And if you start with a relatively fast twist, it would work with lighter bullets, but a slow twist would not work for a heavy load. It would leave the factory chambered, thereby removing the liability question. There would definitely be a market for custom barrels but the cost would probably be prohibitive. Stubbing works but also is a pain. The most reasonable plan would be to maintain a registry of customers  who would buy a barrel until you had over the 250 mark when the factory would make a special run, as we have discussed before here. Another plan might be for the factory to make different chambering in alternate years- 7mm08 one year, 7 X30 the next, and 7X57 the next, then start over.Hope springs eternal........ ::)
remember the starfish

Offline mcwoodduck

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 06:05:50 AM »

The difference being that if this fool does it to an already chambered rifle it would be hard to sue H&R for anything faulty. They provided a safe product and only by someone tampering with it did it become unsafe.

If they sold a blank, some scum lawyer could find a way to blame them for someone else's stupidity by saying that they were at fault by selling an unfinished product that had the potential to hurt someone. Complete BS, but with this litigation happy society we live in now, it is a reality.

I don't like the fact that we can't get barrel blanks, there are a number of different calibers I would like to own, but it just ain't gonna happen, unless I do a stub. You don't see T/C selling blank barrels, or any custom maker for that matter do you? Chambered barrels yes, too much liability otherwise. It's a shame that it is that way, but it is what it is.
I see your point and I forget that a person is smart, people are dumb.  And that a lawyer cna argue anything.  heck he got some lady who added sugar to her coffee and then spilled it on her self because she did not put the top back on correctly, millions because they said the coffee was too hot and won.  With T/C there are custome shops that will make you something with in reason. Like I said earlier I thought 4D reamers would be a good fit.  Not knowing their business, they could either sell or rent a reamer or ream the chamber them selves for a fee.  I also figred a warning on the tube of " these barrels are intended for use on the H&R Handy rifles and ctgs in excess of X PSI should never be chambered for these guns, doing so may cause injury to your self or others around you.  These barrels are for  standard pistol ctgs only.  I understand that it is a liablilty issue and I guess I was looking for a custom shop angle when I wrote this.

Offline cjrjck

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Contributor
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »
Kind of silly that selling a barrel blank would be a liability issue but not marking a receiver so it is easy to distinguish between a sb1 and sb2 receiver is not a liability issue. Go figure.