Author Topic: Concealed carry  (Read 31671 times)

Offline jcn59

• Trade Count: (37)
Concealed carry
« on: August 10, 2011, 07:12:47 PM »
Look on the Wisconsin Department of Justice site to find out what you might not know about  getting the permission slip to carry concealed.
Vote them all out, EVERY election!

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
Re: Concealed carry
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 07:21:07 PM »
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 07:29:10 PM »
It will be a great feeling to carry a CCW both in and out of a vehicle, all day every day. I will never be unarmed.

Cheese

Offline jcn59

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »
This may be a stretch, but I believe we all have an obligation to ourselves and all of society to resist crimes someone wants to commit on us so that perpetrators everywhere find a life of crime to have some terminal consequences.

There has to be a more concise way to say that.

Does anyone remember the scene from "Quigley Down Under" showing the aborigines lined up on the skyline as far as you could see?   That needs to be US!
NRA Life Member

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 01:57:58 AM »
if all law abiding citizens were armed, the crime rate would plummet.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline 379 Peterbilt

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 03:43:18 AM »
This needs to be at the top of the forum. I made it a sticky.

Offline doghawg

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 05:52:46 PM »
 I'm still in a state of shock! I'm a revolver fan but just bought a little compact bottom feeder to celebrate the passage of this long overdue law.

Offline Doug B.

• Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 02:00:21 AM »
Help me out here. What exact piece of "proof" will the DOJ need to process our CC permits? A copy of my Hunter's Ed. card? A copy of my H.E. Instructors card? A copy of a hunting license? (You've got to take a H.E. class to purchase a license.) A copy of something else? I would like to get all the documentation gathered before the Nov. 1 application date and I haven't been fortunate enough to stumble across exactly what documentation they are going to require. The prerequisites are a bit vague unless I'm a smidge brain dead.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:19:49 AM »
Help me out here. What exact piece of "proof" will the DOJ need to process our CC permits? A copy of my Hunter's Ed. card? A copy of my H.E. Instructors card? A copy of a hunting license? (You've got to take a H.E. class to purchase a license.)

If you're an old fart like me, you're grandfathered and don't need a hunter's safety certificate to buy a resident license in Wisconsin. That said, I've taken the course three times..... Once in 1967 and one each with the two boys. From what I understand all you need is your HS certification # and if you don't know it you can get a copy from the DNR online for $3. I also understand all the specifics of application and processing has not been worked out. No applications will be taken before November 1st and permits then may takes up to a month to be issued. After Novemner, I believe the waiting period will be longer.

Here's a link to some info the DNR e-mailed to me.......http://dnr.wi.gov/org/es/enforcement/concealed_carry_q&a.htm
"where'd you get the gun....son?"

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 07:37:14 AM »
I guess this may be a bit of thread drift because my questions pertain to open carry but if I'm correct this bill also affects open carry too.

Is it true that:

• Wisconsin law now protects open carry from local law enforcement charging us with disorderly conduct or disrupting the peace?
  • While hunting/trapping we do not need to unholster our sidearms when we get into the truck to check the next trap sets?
  • We do not need a concealed carry permission slip to carry our sidearms openly in a vehicle?
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:12:15 PM »
I guess this may be a bit of thread drift because my questions pertain to open carry but if I'm correct this bill also affects open carry too.

Is it true that:

• Wisconsin law now protects open carry from local law enforcement charging us with disorderly conduct or disrupting the peace?
  • While hunting/trapping we do not need to unholster our sidearms when we get into the truck to check the next trap sets?
  • We do not need a concealed carry permission slip to carry our sidearms openly in a vehicle?

Wisconsin law has not changed about lawful open carry, just law enforcement folks are now more aware of a private citizens right to openly carry. Without a CWC permit it will still be illegal to carry any firearm loaded and/or uncased in any vehicle, just like always.

Offline steve

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:30:05 AM »
What you have to watch out on this.  There has been a lot of people and clubs offering classes for the conceal and carry.  Watch out. Majority of the classes are only out for your money and there classes are worthless.  Some that are advertizing are from out of state NRA approved.  DOJ is only going to train Law Enforcement people only and not anyone else.  So beware of these people who are advertizing for this permit.  Military, veterans personell only have to show they had a small arms class and anyone who took basic training had small arms training.  Read the state law on it before you throw your money away on these con artist instructors.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
The Appleton Post Crescent chastised the DOJ  for dragging their feet getting traing and certificate standards out. People should be able to expect more from their government was what they said. I agree.
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 02:40:50 AM »
 Most of us should be able to prove required training in one way or another. I'll be ready to go just as soon as the application forms are available.

Every individual is different & has varied backgrounds. That said, I believe a formal CC class is beneficial for many. If nothing else one will get some important legal reminders. Mistakes will made & missteps taken. There can be many finer points of CCW that a hunter safety course doesn't cover. While a heavy dose of common sense can go a long way, a reminder of how to stay out of trouble is seldom a bad thing.

I remember a friend from MI who got caught up in a 'brandishing' incident. That led to a 'felony stop' on the highway & his license pulled, for at least a period of time. Not sure if he got it back. He didn't even pull his gun to start this. It was just exposed at an inopportune time. 

Don't mean to be a mother hen, & I also feel it's been long overdue for WI. 
NRA, Veteran

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2011, 09:42:10 AM »
november 1st is getting closer. 

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 02:30:32 AM »
 Talk about towards the wire. They best get these details worked out soon. It seems quiet lately, so one can hope.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Doug B.

• Contributor
  • Still A Kid At Heart - 1971 Honda CT70H
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 03:22:33 AM »
You may want to visit the WI DOJ websight for a "bit" of updated info...........

http://www.doj.state.wi.us/dles/cib/ConcealedCarry/ConcealedCarry.asp

Why they don't post the application for those that want to fill it out early and not mail it until November 1st is beyond me. Heads where the sun doesn't shine? Why change now I guess.
"Be A Good Listener. Your Ears Will Never Get You In Trouble"

Cadott/Chippewa Falls, WI

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
Thanks for that link Doug B. I'm a Mn. resident and had heard but was never able to verify for myself that my carry permit was good in Wi.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »
A. Handguns The law now allows a person to do the following without a CCW permit:
„h place, possess, or transport a handgun in a vehicle without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. ¡± 167.31(2)(b).  „h load a handgun in a vehicle. Wis. Stats. ¡± 167.31(2)(c).  „h operate an all-terrain vehicle (ATV) with a handgun in the operator¡¥s possession. Wis. Stat. ¡± 23.33(3)(a).  „h place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a motorboat with the motor running without being unloaded or encased. Wis. Stats. ¡± 167.31(2)(a), (b), (c).  „h place, possess, or transport a handgun in or on a noncommercial aircraft.

This, right here is almost to good to be true.
Cheese

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2011, 04:30:32 AM »
expect the DOJ to drag their feet on this and not to be co-operative.   have your representive's number ready and be prepared to call and raise hell.   i think they will drag their feet and attempt to delay this as much as possible.   time will tell i guess. 

Offline 1sourdough

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
 You would think they could  call MI,MN, or any of the many other states that have CCW & just ask, how to do the permits? They act like WI is the 1st state to allow this.
NRA, Veteran

Offline jcn59

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
The DOJ website got really busy at midnight on the first.   I think my application printed about 2:30 a.m.

NRA Life Member

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 06:10:37 AM »
i live in a small town of 600ish people.   tuesday morning i was making the rounds in town, and bumped into several of the locals.    out of the 5 people i talked to, all of them had already sent their stuff in and one more was headed into the bank to get his $50 money order to send his out.  that is 6 people i bumped into within 30 minutes and all of them were all over it.    i think the response is going to be huge.   

Offline Black Jaque Janaviac

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 01:55:22 PM »
So I'm confused.  One guy is saying nothing has changed with respect to open carry laws, and another guy posts what appears to be legal text specifying that we can carry loaded, uncased handguns in vehicles.

Unfortunately, it appears that we may not be able to open-carry on a bicycle believe it or not.  Would be nice to pack some "dog medicine".
Black Jaque Janaviac - Dat's who!

Hawken - the gun that made the west wild!

Offline buck460XVR

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 03:33:45 AM »
So I'm confused.  One guy is saying nothing has changed with respect to open carry laws, and another guy posts what appears to be legal text specifying that we can carry loaded, uncased handguns in vehicles.

Unfortunately, it appears that we may not be able to open-carry on a bicycle believe it or not.  Would be nice to pack some "dog medicine".

I was mistaken about the change in the law regarding loaded/uncased handguns in vehicles. The new law makes it legal to do so with handguns even if one does not have a CCW permit. It is however, still illegal to do so with a longun, or bow. Also, if one does not have a CCW permit, the gun cannot be loaded, uncased and concealed within the car.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2011, 01:19:24 PM »
Could we get some info about the carnage? Is the blood running ankle deep in the streets? Roadrage deaths off the charts?
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 09:08:51 AM »
Could we get some info about the carnage? Is the blood running ankle deep in the streets? Roadrage deaths off the charts?

;D     none to report of yet. 

Offline jcn59

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 02:27:30 PM »
After reading Cheese's post, I looked up 167.31 (2)(b) myself.  Yup, that's how I read it too.  I mentioned it to another, and she said yes, but only if the car is stationary.  I asked her where she read that and she said "someone told her".

NRA Life Member

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 02:59:34 PM »
statues arent that hard to understand.   cheese posted the link....so we all have it here to read in black and white.   if other people want to go off what they "heard", then they are too stupid and shouldnt be carrying.   if you dont take it seriously enough to KNOW the law, then you have no business carrying.   

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 03:02:59 PM »
After reading Cheese's post, I looked up 167.31 (2)(b) myself.  Yup, that's how I read it too.  I mentioned it to another, and she said yes, but only if the car is stationary.  I asked her where she read that and she said "someone told her".
can i ask if this person was a law enforcement official or not?  or just an ill informed citizen?