Author Topic: abortion  (Read 21267 times)

Offline -Shaggy-

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: abortion
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2011, 03:55:58 AM »
"Hey...is this it?"

Nah, more like this...

Offline yellowtail3

• Oh father of the four winds, fill my sails!
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2011, 04:07:58 AM »
I don't know if it's official, but I think Shaggy is pretty close!

What's up with that?
I wanted to see if powderman even knew was an escutcheon  was! Your answer was pretty good. The word fascinated me, since I'm "English language challenged".

There's a lot of stains on our escutcheon.
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2011, 04:35:42 AM »
yellowtail3, while I don't really expect to get anything, but sarcasm, I would ask you? Why do you hang on to these trivial "nit picks" such as the one (escutcheon) you are now enthralled with? I have given a perfectly plausible explanation to it's use here, as have others. You draw these arguments through your own contentiousness, and seem to revel in trying to pin someone down over something so trivial as a "word". You seem not so much about the discussion, as more about the belittlement of the person, by "nit picking him or her". You seem to be attempting to derail a discussion by challenging a poster concerning one word, that know one else questioned, nor did it in any way, detract from the discussion. What's up with that?
I've wondered that too.

Offline -Shaggy-

• A Real Regular
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2011, 04:45:21 AM »

You don't know if it is official? Yeah, it is. You don't know what that emblem is, do you.

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2011, 07:36:54 AM »

You don't know if it is official? Yeah, it is. You don't know what that emblem is, do you.
President Obama's seal? Or... escutcheon?
Jesus said we should treat other as we'd want to be treated... and he didn't qualify that by their party affiliation, race, or even if they're of diff religion.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2011, 07:38:39 AM »
Well yellowtail3, he used the word escutcheon in proper context, and that in itself should have told you he knew, unless you, yourself didn't know what the word meant. You either didn't know the word, or you were merely trolling powderman. Which was it?
You drew attention to yourself, not powderman. Was that your intention?
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2011, 05:01:22 PM »
Abortion is killing a baby, plain and simple.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 01:55:40 AM »
  I don't see any body defending a woman’s right to choose MURDER.

I agree as long as she decides before she has intercourse . There is a proper time to decide , after the baby is concived ain't it .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline powderman

« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 04:08:03 AM »
  I don't see any body defending a woman’s right to choose MURDER.

I agree as long as she decides before she has intercourse . There is a proper time to decide , after the baby is concived ain't it .

YEP. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2011, 04:59:10 AM »
All, let me clarify a matter.

I initially used the word 'escutcheon', and my intent was 'reputation'. 

Yes, in more ancient times it was a physical coat of arms.  It is also interpreted as a non-physical 'reputation'. 

I read a lot of old pulp authors and turn-of-the-century books, and probably picked this up in an Edgar Rice Burroughs novel - I seem to recall his use of the word many times in various of his novels.  Another favorite word he used frequently was 'billingsgate', a quaint old English word for 'cursing', but with a much more refined sound.  He attributed Tarzan as being fluent in jungle billingsgate, which he used to taunt natives and lions, etc.

From Websters:

Idiom 4.  Blot on one's escutcheon, a stain on one's reputation; disgrace.

From Tarzan of the Apes, by Edgar Rice Burroughs:

"
The entire matter was taken out of Tarzan's hands one day by force of circumstances, and his future left open to him, so that he might go or stay without any stain upon his savage escutcheon."

Gentlemen, I hope this clarifies the matter.  I apologize for this detour into language, I had no intention of derailing this important debate.  I hope that this serves as an example that, with the WWW, one can merely do a little searching and find the meanings of words.  There's certainly no cause to impugn someone because you don't understand a word.  No one here knows every word in the world, so there is certainly no shame in grabbing a dictionary now and then.

"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2011, 05:23:36 AM »
an escutcheon is also that thing for finishing off where a water line comes out of the wall.
shootall, being a plumber, can vouch for that. ;D

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Avyctes

• Contributor
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2011, 06:02:41 AM »
Bugeye, you're exactly right.  :)

From Dictionary.com:

noun 1. a shield or shieldlike surface on which a coat of arms is depicted. 2. an ornamental or protective plate around a keyhole, door handle, drawer pull, light switch, etc. 3. Nautical . a panel on the stern of a vessel bearing its name and port of registry.  Idiom 4. blot on one's escutcheon, a stain on one's reputation; disgrace.
"There exists a law, not written down anywhere, but in our hearts.. that, if our lives are endangered by plots or violence or armed robbers or enemies, any and every method of protecting ourselves is morally right."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline yellowtail3

« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2011, 06:17:31 AM »

another one

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2011, 06:19:07 AM »
an escutcheon is also that thing for finishing off where a water line comes out of the wall.

when  i first saw the term.. ''.escutcheon''...i envisioned  the cabinet  under the sink
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2011, 06:20:40 AM »

when  i first saw the term.. ''.escutcheon''...i envisioned  the cabinet  under the sink
me too.  I learned something here.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2011, 06:23:35 AM »
What people do that aren't related to me is none of my business.  I wish others could grap this.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline dukkillr

• Moderators
    • The Daily Limit
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2011, 06:40:31 AM »
What people do that aren't related to me is none of my business.  I wish others could grap this.
Me too.  But for some it's very important to make their religion law.

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2011, 06:57:43 AM »
Me too.  But for some it's very important to make their religion law.
and for some, murdering babies is okay.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline Dixie Dude

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2011, 07:09:18 AM »
Abortion is only one of the many problems with America's sin.  Abortion is murder plain and simple.

Greed, from politicians, Wall Street bankers, Corporate executives, union leaders.  Envy, from the poor wanting their handouts and wanting to tax the rich into moving away from America. 

Adultry, 50% of married people now commit adultry, hurts people and damages children of divorcees especially.

Fornication, young people and older single people participate in this routinely, opens the door to disease and leads to abortion.

Disrespect, for elders, those in authority, and for themselves. 

Lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God, leads to some of the above, and includes drug use and alcoholism.

Glutony, we have a lot of overweight people. 

Once all these sins started taking root, it lead to drug and alcohol rehab problems, STD problems, stress and anxiety, heart attacks, strokes, which has caused the health care cost to skyrocket.  Billy Graham did some statistics several years back.  He analysed christians who went to church 3 time a week routinely against the country as a whole.  85% had less health releated problems and lived an average 7 years longer than the average American. 

In 1960 50% of the American people attended church at least twice a week.  We had no government welfare programs, 85% of the American people had health care insurance.  We had almost no STD's or drug problems.  And people wonder why conservatives want to go back to those days.  America was strong.  35% of Americans were employed in manufacturing.  The only lingering problem was predudice.  Greed caused American women to go to work so the households could have "more" and have a bigger house, and two cars.  Taking women away from home raising kids, and being there for kids when they got home from school, caused a lot of kids to be left alone for several hours a day.  This caused teens to begin to experiment with sex and drugs.  Women working away from home lead to men and women committing adultry.  Basically we forgot God and how He wanted us to live so we could have peaceful and harmonious lives.   

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 07:12:49 AM »
Dixie Dude,  there's nothing I can add to that.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:16 AM »
  Curiously, Many folks like to say if the 'mother' decides to kill the baby ..it's her "choice"..
    ..and in the same breath say if the 'father' decides to kill the baby...its "murder"..     Hmmmmm  ;)   ;D   :o   :P 
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2011, 07:27:08 AM »
  Curiously, Many folks like to say if the 'mother' decides to kill the baby ..it's her "choice"..
    ..and in the same breath say if the 'father' decides to kill the baby...its "murder"..     Hmmmmm  ;)   ;D   :o   :P

well  if they want to  mannage every ones  lives
and  force the man to support  some one  when  she  claimed  to not be fertile
the  man  is  always fertile....both parties  know that

the  father should be able to demand  an abortion
OR  NOT  HOLD HIM  LIABLE.....[not refering to  choosing  life then walking away]

ending government  involment .....in  ALL  respects
 WOULD  mean  fewer abortions
women  would be more selective  of  who and when they have sex
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline powderman

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2011, 07:56:50 AM »
DIXIE DUDE. Great post Sir. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2011, 08:29:23 AM »
Going to church isn't the answer.  It's most of the problem.  I'd rather be a Christian than go to church.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2011, 08:41:14 AM »
do you mean building or group of believers ?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
Are there any "groups" of believers left?  I can't find them.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »

Yep , it dresses up the hole or covers the rough edges , It would take a mighty big one to dress up Washington or cover the rough parts ..........

Offline Mohawk

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2011, 10:07:55 AM »
My daughter was born August 12th. All 9 lb 6 oz 22 inches of her.  ;D

Abortion is slapping the hand of God, at least that is my belief. That is one hand that one should not even attempt to approach, I know I wouldn't. God said we may take animals, but nothing about disturbing his work such as providing life to souls HE already knew before they took flesh(birth). My new daughter is the most beautiful thing on earth and she is my reason for doing anything in the future. Regarding abortion, I think money should not be a factor. Their should not be a price, cost, or expenditure regarding human life. If your wife, girlfriend whatever gets pregnant then Man-Up!!! Get a job, 2nd job, 3rd job, and support your gift. I am getting a second job while momma is out of the vet business for a few months. How hard is that? Its not! If you need an abortion you have bigger issues than the abortion itself. If any tax money is spent it should be on those underlying issues before abortion enters the picture. They should start with parents that lack control of their own children/teenagers..............

Offline BUGEYE

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:55 AM »
Going to church isn't the answer.  It's most of the problem.  I'd rather be a Christian than go to church.
well, the Bible does tell us to gather together, so we won't be like a hot coal that's raked out of the fire and gets cool.
                                     Patrick Henry

bugeye

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
When all christians and churches look bad to ya maybe it ain't the christians or their churches  ;)  just a thought