Author Topic: Hammer Shroud Grips for S&W J  (Read 836 times)

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hammer Shroud Grips for S&W J
« on: January 04, 2004, 03:05:16 PM »
I was wondering if anyone is still making the grips that shroud the hammer for a round butt S&W mod. 36?

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Hammer shroud grips
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 04:03:40 AM »
Pistoleer:  I recall seeing those years ago, but more recently I have seen the attachments that you can install to give you the same effect as that you would have with the Model 38, the Bodyguard.  I know they (someone) used to make that attachment for the Colt snubnose revolvers and have seen those for the S&Ws but regrettably, I can't point you in any direction except to suggest you contact Gun parts corp/Numrich Arms or some of the other major parts places like Global or Samco.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
Hammer Shroud Grips for S&W J
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2004, 03:35:33 PM »
It's a very simple matter to cut the hammer spur off and gently file the contours smooth.  You can still use the gun single action if you choose to, just start the hammer back with the trigger, then cock it the rest of the way with your thumb.  (Only do this when you are sure you are going to shoot.  It is impossible to safely lower a spurless hammer)  If you ever want the regular hammer back, they are quite reasonable.  You don't even have to fit the new one (S&W) as the sear part is separate and held on with a pin and you can just switch it from one to the other.  (don't lose the little spring behind it!)  I keep a spare around.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!