Author Topic: CVA Scout .243 Review  (Read 8307 times)

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
CVA Scout .243 Review
« on: August 17, 2011, 04:14:25 PM »
.243 CVA Scout Compact

34 1/8" Over all Length
20" Compact Barrel
13 1/8" Length of pull with hammer cocked
6lbs 13oz without sling

I ordered the combo deal of the .243 with the CVA Soft gun case as well as the Konus Pro 1.5 - 5 power x32mm scope. Crystal clear! I still like a 9 or 10x scope but with this compact set up, that 5x comes up quick and right into view. A perfect brush gun in my opinion.  The scopes supposedly are bore sighted but after finding two cap screws loose i decided it was best to pull the scope and check the base mount screws. They were all tight, but its still best to pull it and make SURE everything is snug and in place.

With the short barrel the percussion when the gun goes off is awesome. My head was numb after 12 rounds LOL. Also due to the short barrel, it heats up FAST. It was very uncomfortable to touch after 5 rounds.

I am having an issue right now with the extractor. When i load a bullet, slam it shut and fire it, the case swells up a bit and the extractor will not drop down enough to allow for easy removal. I will take care of this my self as its an easy fix, but this may be something to watch for.

Using some over the counter ammo, i bought a box of Remington Express ammo for $20.95. I wanted the 100gr version but they only had 80gr so i went with it and it did pretty good for right out of the box. 1-1/4" 3 shot group @ 100 yards.

My 16 year old nephew will be shooting this gun for another Thanksgiving Day Youth hunt in New Mexico on a muley buck.

Almost forgot! I will estimate the trigger pull at right around 3.5lbs with no grit or creep. I will put it on an RCBS trigger scale on friday and update the exact trigger pull.

Offline chefjeff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: CVA Scout .243 Review
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 04:17:25 PM »
Good review. THX.

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
Bigblock, Thanks for the review. I had trouble extracting with Winchester factory ammo in my 7mm-08 Scout Stainless. The breeching lever was really difficult to operate from what I believe is a stout load with 140 grain bullet. None of my handloads were tuff to extract.

Good accuracy, the triger pull was at 3.1 lbs. with my RCBS trigger pull guage. The Scout is a joy to shoot. I have a 2-7x33 Redfield Revolution scope mounted on mine with the supplied scope mount. It sits a little high though.

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:42:39 PM »
I got a CVA Scout in .44 magnum a few days ago.  After bore sighting - just looking through the bore and adjusting the scope - it was just a few inches off at 50 yards.  Then after moving the crosshairs to the bullet holes it was right on at 100 yards.  With no felt recoil it is a real pleasure to shoot.  We have a gong target set up at 100 yards and I haven't missed it yet.  I really haven't tried to see how small a group I can get.  I'll do that soon. It may be more fun to shoot than my Marlin 1894 ss, and I love to shoot the Marlin.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
Hey guys i fixed the issue with the cases sticking. I think there was a bur left over from the machining process by the extractor. I took a fired case and doped it up with JB Bore paste and slide them back and forth to polish out any burs and then fired 3 shots without any trouble. I actually filmed this for fun too. I will post the link once i edit the video.

Offline xhare

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
Is that scope mount the one that came with the gun?  Some of the pictures on CVA's website make the mount look much taller than the one on your rifle. 

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »
yes these are the medium height durasight mounts that come with the combo package rifle.

heres the video guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHCCFac2vGI

Offline pike40

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22:15 AM »
Question for you guys, Tennessee's youth hunt starts at age 6. My son has a year to go but I am wanting to get him started in shooting. Will probably pick up a .22lr to get him use to shooting before upgrading to a higher caliber. Will probably pick up a .243 for him to hunt with after he gets use to the .22. Any suggestions for make and model for a .22 and a .243? Have heard good things about CVA scout and savage axis.