Author Topic: Antique Enfield rifle  (Read 548 times)

Offline keithinvestigations

• Trade Count: (0)
Antique Enfield rifle
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:02:44 AM »
I recently purchased an Enfield Rifle from the civil war era.  It is stamped 1860.  I'm trying to figure out what caliber the rifle is.  I took a .577 dug bullet and put it in the end of the barrel and it is too small.  A .58 seems to be a better fit but I know nothing about this rifle and how tight the bullet should be towards the muzzle.  Could someone give me information on how I can determine the caliber of this rifle?  I have the gun disassembled and it has 1/17 on the bottom of the barrel.  Thanks.
"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Antique Enfield rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 05:53:23 AM »

Enfield rifle-musket   
[/size]The Enfield Rifle Musket was an imported rifle used fairly equally between the  Union and Confederate forces, with nearly 400,000 of them imported on each side.  It was named for the armory in Britain where it was manufactured.  One of the biggest advantages of the Enfield Rifle, was the fact that ammunition  was interchangeable between it and the Springfield 1861. Both fired what  amounted to a .58 caliber slug.  This rifle was in fact quite a bit more  accurate at long distance than the Springfield 1861, with good accuracy up to  1,100 yards. But, infantry complained of rough stocks and handmade metal parts, rather than machine made parts.   Still, it was considered the most important weapon for the armies of the South.
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline keith44

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 07:57:40 AM »
I spoke with a re-enactor a couple years ago about his Enfield.  His was a mix of new and original parts.  (new stock, ram rod, and new sights.  The barrel, trigger and lock plate were originals, can't remember about the springs, pivots, etc.)  His load was 60 gr 0f 2F with a .58 cal minne ball.  The projectile was a tad loose in the bore, but he could get reasonable accuracy from it.  3" 80 yard groups with a barrel made for the civil war!!

keep em talkin' while I reload
Life member NRA

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:17:20 AM »
.577 is correct.  If you are goingto shoot a round ball you are going to have a patch that will give you a nice snug fit.
If you are going to shoot a Minnie ball you want a loose fit.  The concave base of the minnie ball expands to lock into the rifling.  The powder seats inside the hole and the explosion expands the skirt to lock into the groves making them extremely accurate.
In battle you want a loose fit.  The crud created by shooting black powder the small bullet will slide down a fouled bore where as a tight fit will not.  You also want to beable to get the projectile out easily if it gets wet due to rain, humidity, crossing a stream or river.....
You get the idea.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »
Yep, Lee has a 58 Minie mold along with their modern versions also too.
https://factorysales.com/html/xcart/catalog/blackpow.html
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.