Author Topic: Bad eyes  (Read 372 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Bad eyes
« on: August 20, 2011, 10:09:52 AM »
After 25 years of staring at computer screens and small print reports, my eyes  are not so good. I am looking for suggestions on a small monocular or binocular that would not break the bank. Nothing fancy, I had a Redfield 7x 21 years ago that was good. The eyes have considerable different Rx, that is why a monocular would work as well as if not better than binoculars. I am not up on brands and models currently made so would like some reviews to see what is well thought of here.
remember the starfish

Offline pastorp

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Bad eyes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 10:14:28 AM »
Just a thought, but you can buy indiviaual focus Binos... ;)

Regards,
Byron

Christian by choice, American by the grace of God.

NRA LIFE

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 11:10:55 AM »
Yes you can but it isn't necessary. Any quality binocular with center focus dial has a right eye piece that focuses individually and locks in place. Set the focus on the left at infinity with the focus wheel then adjust the right eye piece so it too is in focus. Lock it down then from that point on the center focus wheel will adjust both sides to proper focus for you eyes at whatever distance you are viewing.

I used to like individual focus binoculars and for a great many years that's all I owned but they really are a disadvantage for hunting as you have to focus both eye pieces separately if you change the range you are viewing whereas with a center focus wheel once you have them set up right you spin that wheel and change focus almost instantly from up close to infinity. You can also use them to effectively "peer thru brush" which you just can't effectively do with individual focus.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 03:58:50 AM »
Any quality binocular with center focus dial has a right eye piece that focuses individually and locks in place. Set the focus on the left at infinity with the focus wheel then adjust the right eye piece so it too is in focus. Lock it down then from that point on the center focus wheel will adjust both sides to proper focus for you eyes at whatever distance you are viewing.

Thanks Graybeard!...It had been my habit to throw down on the viewing area, focus the center dial, and then the right occular dial. I must have been touching on the infinity adj now and again as sometimes the Binoc's would work very well while at other times, I seemed to be constantly fiddling with them. This is no biggie as I dont really live in Spot n Stalk country but my eyes are such that I have used them much more in the last three years than anytime in the past.

manatee1940: the problem with "too cheap" of a Binoc is that they will start hurting your eyes quickly. A full size set is less forgiving but I greatly prefer the compacts. To be truthfull with you, I do have a cheap set (the Nikon 10x25 Realtree outdoors) (Around $70 but I belive that price has gone down) That do not hurt my eyes. They are nothing to write home about but yet are a good product for the money.