Author Topic: Lawn artillery reccomendations  (Read 759 times)

Offline jlwilliams

• Trade Count: (2)
Lawn artillery reccomendations
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:56:50 PM »
  I was at my folks place when my stepfather said he needs a cannon.  I said, "Your right, you do need a cannon.  What for?"  He's wanting an artillery piece that he'll likely never shoot but would like to know he could.  Size counts.  Used is OK.  A barrel needing a carriage is OK.  No particular historical period is specified, but it should look cool.  He doesn't have plans on declaring war on the next county, but that could change over time.  In short, he's flexable about what he gets and doesn't have a budget staked out yet.  He just needs a cannon.

I looked at a few sights from the sources sticky.  Lots to digest and I'm not done looking through there.

All that in mind, what do thos of you who know more about this that I do (that's a big group) reccomend for a cannon to be had just because? 

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: Lawn artillery reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 03:54:44 PM »
Hi jlwilliams. "Size counts." How does size count, does he want a full sized cannon, a half scale cannon, or a smaller gun he can maneuver around easily by himself?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 05:38:52 PM »
Might as well get get something YOU like...   

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 06:24:02 AM »
Hi jlwilliams. "Size counts." How does size count, does he want a full sized cannon, a half scale cannon, or a smaller gun he can maneuver around easily by himself?

Big enough to look manacing just sitting there.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 06:47:38 AM »

Big enough to look manacing just sitting there.

jlwilliams,
PM sent.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline eod20

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
  • stinker
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 08:34:46 AM »
if it size that counts - military vehicle sale - out of eastern europe is selling some 8x8 wheeled 152mm cannon mounted on a dana truck chasis, slightly used and in need of paint but it will really get the neighbors attention.  and if dad does decide to declare war on the next county he has the range to really hit it   ;D
looking for ejectors - 308, 8mm, 35 rem, 25-20, 32-20, 357 mag, 45LC

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 09:22:38 AM »
eod20,
You beat me to it! Here's some pics of Anzio Annie being moved from F. Sill to Ft. Lee, Vrginia. Just picture that sitting on dad's front lawn, now that's what I'd call menacing. I wonder what the U.S. Army would take for it? ;)

http://www.army.mil/article/50487/Anzio_Annie_comes_to_Fort_Lee/
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline shooter69

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 12:08:54 PM »
Daddy better have some big bucks for that baby!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »
I see you're talking to Zulu.  One of his concrete cannons would be a good choice as an outside decorator only.  Large but not too expensive (compared with a full size real gun) and without the stealing value of a real one.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 03:47:00 AM »
eod20,
You beat me to it! Here's some pics of Anzio Annie being moved from F. Sill to Ft. Lee, Vrginia. Just picture that sitting on dad's front lawn, now that's what I'd call menacing. I wonder what the U.S. Army would take for it? ;)

http://www.army.mil/article/50487/Anzio_Annie_comes_to_Fort_Lee/

Wow.  That may be a little too big for their yard.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 04:29:02 AM »
Okay jlwilliams, so far we know that you're looking for something large, menacing, and of course functional. Being serious for a moment, say that you decide on a Civil War era full size cannon; even if you get the barrel from one of the less expensive makers, that combined with the cost of a carriage is going to set you back quite a few bucks.

Offline jlwilliams

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 05:24:32 AM »
  I'm starting to get a grasp on the actual cost.  At the moment I'm more or less sorting through the options to give the old man some idea about what he can get verses what he's going to spend.  A little carbide noise maker-salute cannon is definitely not going to cut it.  A piece of chain link fense post on a carriage isn't cool enough either.  A full sized Civil War replica is probably more than he'll go for but I don't know how hard the idea bit him.   He's prone to excess.  Most of what I'm seeing is in the motorcyle price range.  A big bite, but attainable if it's what one wants.  Then again, he may say "Oh.  Thanks for looking into it for me." and wander off into some endevor.  He's a true excentric.  Hard to predict.

Over the weekend I went to a friend's shop to look at his golf ball bore cannon that he's been working on for a few years.  Not an exact reproduction of any particular piece but he's doing some really interesting work.  It's ready for paint and the ceremonial first shot.  Hopefully I'll get the call ahead of time and be able to go see that happen.   In a week or two of looking I'm seeing what's online and have already found one guy in my circle who's building one.  It's amazing what's out there when you start to ask around.

Thanks for all the input so far and thanks in advance for any more that comes down the pike.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 08:34:03 AM »
delete