Author Topic: Dove Hunting  (Read 758 times)

Offline Hooker

• Trade Count: (2)
Dove Hunting
« on: August 21, 2011, 07:28:22 AM »
According to the ODWC dove numbers are down in the state. Between the severe heat , failed wheat crops that were mostly plowed under by farmers and the lack of natural foods because of the drought it looks like a slim slim season. Looks like migratory birds and water sources will be the best hope for hunting them this year. I found that a lot of those empty ponds still have enough moisture to grow things, so on some of our local leases we are planting wheat in the dry pond beds. There should be enough time to get a good stand of tender wheat shoots by the time the season opens. These should attract the dove and other game later in the season.
Just a Reminder the season opens September 1st and goes through October 31st.

Pat
" In the beginning of change, the patriot is a brave and scarce man,hated and scorned. when the cause succeeds however,the timid join him...for then it cost nothing to be a patriot. "
-Mark Twain
"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms."
-- Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith, 1787. ME 6:373, Papers 12:356

Offline Dinny

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (268)
  • "Medics Save"
Re: Dove Hunting
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:34:08 AM »
Pat,
  Thanks for the info. This is my first year in OK and I have been invited to hunt dove on a friend's property. His plan is similar, hunt near the water.

Thanks, Dinny
Handi Family: 357 Max, 45 LC, 45-70, 300 BLK, 50 cal Huntsman, and 348 Win.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day that my child may have peace"
Thomas Paine

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: Dove Hunting
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »

If we can get some rain it might open things up a little, but in reality I figure you are 100% correct.
Most of the little dovies have already set up normal flyways out there, any rain now probably won't change much.
The old hunt water holes routine will most likely be necessary.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member