Author Topic: Strong side or Cross draw ???  (Read 1921 times)

Offline tonygrz

• Trade Count: (1)
Strong side or Cross draw ???
« on: August 22, 2011, 12:00:39 PM »
I usually carry a Ruger LCR or a S&W 642 lightweight in my front pocket.  Works most of the time.  But I ran into a situation where a cross draw holster would be very practical. 

At a stop light, I looked to my left and was confronted with a vehicle with some less than savory characters.  One of them asked me what I was looking at and then proceeded to question my ancestary and told me to something that is anatomically impossible.  Had a needed to use my revolver, getting it out of my pocket would be a real deal changer !!! 

I thought about a strong side hip holster but then I would have to turn severely to my left and bring my strong side arm back and up to unholster the revolver. 

So now to cross draw.  Move my strong side hand from the steering wheel and down to my lap, raise the cover garment (shirt, vest, coat) and have my hand on the revolver/pistol.  Sounds good.  Anyone have any pros or cons to cross draw in a vehicle ????

Thanks,

Tony

Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline quasne.inc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Strong side or Cross draw ???
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:24:11 PM »
Cross draw or shoulder holster are about the only two ways I think I would be able to get to my gun quickly enough.

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »
wow  ...ruger  LCR  or  snw 640  for me too

how much space  did you leave between you and the car in front

2 or 3 car links  i hope......that should be  a habit

i to  carry my gun that way.....and un acceessable when seated

in the winter  i use a belly band when  traveling...some times...[mine is home made]

and  it is cross draw.....some times a second gun  is beside me
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline handi270

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 01:59:22 PM »
unholster your weapon, partially slide it under your right leg. easy and fast to get to. when you get to your destination, reholster before you get out. I realize theis works better with a thin semi, but is doable. Most vehicals have a console and a second holster could go between the edge of the seat and the console.
just don't forget and leave your weapon in your vehical when you get out.

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:01:06 PM »
If you carry strong side then you won't have to do the gun shuffle when getting in and out of the car.  I suggest you try it first with the gun unloaded.  If you don't have a hip holster, the local gun store will probably let you try one out.  If that absolutely won't work, then there are cross draw holsters available with a more aggressive cant designed for accessing while driving.

And remember any handgun that isn't attached to you will not be where you last left it if you get in a car wreck.  Stuff goes flying everywhere.  What if those guys who were hassling you decide to follow you and run you off the road and rob you.  They could care less about the stolen car they're driving getting damaged.

Or any number of situations.  What if you're in a car wreck and the person you hit comes after you with a lethal weapon.  You have your wife and kids in the car, etc.  If the gun isn't attached to you, you won't be able to find it.

Offline rockwool

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 06:12:05 PM »
since CCW laws apply more restriction to handguns then long rifles. wouldnt it be nice to have a smooth bore on the dashboard?
Fear no foe, lock and load

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 08:29:57 PM »
They do make auto holsters.  that attach to the seat belt.  Getting in is a simple move of drawing and sliding it in the auto holster and get in.  Or just keep one in a car holster all the time.
Practice with an unloaded gun in the garage drawing it and making sure you are not pointing the gun at your self at any time.

Offline Bugflipper

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:10:00 PM »
Inside the waistband front strong side does well for me. I guess it would be strong side belly. I just use a clipdraw on a glock. But used to use the soft material holsters like uncle mikes has before I downsized to a 27. I don't tuck shirts in so it's easy enough to pull the shirt out of the way and draw from a seated position.
Molon labe

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 02:26:52 AM »
I also carry in my front pocket and have since Va. allowed carry. If you are thin a cross draw will work if you are full figured well it gets kind of hard to make it work. Something to consider with a cross draw is it still will need to be well to the back to hide it . A belt holster that works for a small revolver is the SOB but worn just behind your side belt loop on jeans very easy to reach sitting in a car or truck .If a coat/jacket is in the plan a shoulder holster works well.
Most of the time I just slip the gun under my left leg as I enter the truck as has been mentioned.
An ankle holster is good when seated ( IMHO its about the only good time for an ankle holster to be easy to reach).
Or in the case decribed , if they start an attack just turn wheels to right and ease back in reverse pinning them to their vehicle . Hey that vehicle is a good weapon.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline shot1

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 05:51:19 AM »
Rockwool: In TN if you have a handgun carry permit you can carry a long gun in your passenger compartment with rounds in the magazine but not one in the chamber which is really stupid but it is the law. If I can carry a handgun with one in the chamber I should be able to carry my long gun with one in the chamber. A pump shotgun with a pistol grip works well.  ;D

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 06:54:45 AM »
There are some instances when crossdraw can be very helpfull:
When wearing very heavy clothing.
When walking in the woods.
When sitting in a car.
Now, I must be honest, i never have my gun on me when driving--it is generally under a cushion on the seat beside me. That is not always true, but more often than not.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
I did that also and still do some but its better to have one on you incase you must exit the vehicle post haste

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 08:47:59 AM »
The largest percentage of the time I wear jeans and carry in my right front pocket, mostly I drive a Ford F-250, several years ago I thought I might have a need for the gun, it was in my pocket and I couldn’t get it out seated in the truck.  Now when I get in the truck I put the gun in pocket on the side door panel.  It is out of sight, and very easy to get to with either hand if needed. I do the same thing when driving the wife’s car.  When I get out it is very easy to slip it back in my pocket as I exit the vehicle.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 06:28:36 PM »
I carry both. A crossdraw has always felt very natural to me so I carry my PF-9 up front on the left. I carry my P-32, back-up,  on the right. Both in Fobus Evolution 2 holsters. When driving I slip the holstered P-32 onto my visor. Out of the way, out of sight, but very easy to reach.

Offline tonygrz

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:14:31 AM »
Problem solved.  My wife seldom rides in my pu truck because of a physical disability.  But when she does, she has a small 12"X12" cushion for her back.  The cushion stays in my truck and lays next to me.  So I just slip the revolver under the cushion when I'm driving and transfer it to my pocket when I get out.  And it didn't cost me a penny. 

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Tony

Life is great, don't screw it up with WORK !!!

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
What happens if you have to slam on your brakes?

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 04:34:47 AM »
There is no system that cannot fail---Haven't you ever met Murphy?
Best we can do is the best we can do.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 08:00:58 AM »

You lose control of your gun a real NO NO

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:07:41 AM »

You lose control of your gun a real NO NO

Ding Ding, SHOOTALL gets the prize.  Get a holster, cross draw or strong side for Pete's Sake.  The gun stays on you and you don't have to do the loaded gun shuffle getting in and out of your vehicle.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 04:02:22 AM »
Which is easier/faster--getting the gun off the floorboard or getting out of the car and getting the gun out of the holster/pocket.
Now if the gun stays in place--which is easier/faster?
Crossdraw wins hands down for the scene of the it being lost on the floorboard.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 05:57:45 AM »
I find the shoulder holster by Galco works well if dress allows .