Author Topic: Ramrod Spring  (Read 576 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Ramrod Spring
« on: August 26, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »
Picked up my new GM .36 barrel a couple weeks ago and while waiting for my Lyman 57 to get here have been trying to break in the barrel. Only shooting PRB in it so far and it is to say the least promising. The one thing that could be improved is the ramrod spring. It seems soft and easily bent back toward the rib making the rod slide to easily. I believe that I will make a new one. Has anyone remade their own and if so what was your outcome. I have some ideas but would like to see what worked for others. Thanks for any responce.

Offline tacklebury

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Central Michigan
Re: Ramrod Spring
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »
You might just take the screw out, heat it to a dull orange color with a propane torch and then drop it into some used car oil.  Should add some temper and it'll hold better.  Just don't get it too hot or it'll brittle up.  ;)
Tacklebury --}>>>>>    Multi-Barrel: .223 Superlite, 7mm-08 22", .30-40 Krag M158, .357 Maximum 16-1/4 HB, .45 Colt, .45-70 22" irons, 32" .45-70 Peeps, 12 Ga. 3-1/2 w/ Chokes, .410 Smooth slugger, .45 Cal Muzzy, .50 Cal Muzzy, .58 Cal Muzzy

also classics: M903 9-shot Target .22 Revolver, 1926 .410 Single, 1915 38 S&W Break top Revolver and 7-shot H&R Trapper .22 6" bbl.

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:56:37 PM »
I don't use the wood original ramrods. I use a working rod, nice and heavy.  The wood ramrod is mostly ornamental. To keep them from creeping out with recoil I use a set screw. The ramrod guide or 'thimble' has a hole that is just right for a  1/4-20 tap. You can get the short set screws at the hardware store, brass or blue or make your own from a bolt. Fit them so they are flush. The rod won't move at all.

Or, you can make a stiffer retainer spring from an old set [or new] of automotive points. They already have the hole, just trim to length and shape         
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 09:47:02 AM »
You are right about the temporing of the existing spring, it is too soft and could be retempered. I may do that, but thought of getting a better rod purchase by turning the end of the spring back to the rib to let it ride as pressure from the rod is aplied. The points idea as a source is a good one. I have an old set from my tracter.

Offline srussell

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:35:08 PM »
are just put a small shim under it

Offline Winter Hawk

• Trade Count: (47)
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 05:45:03 PM »
On several ML rifles without the spring I have glued a piece of leather in the channel for the ramrod.  Chamfer the forward and of the leather so the rod can slide in, otherwise it will catch the leather and either push it loose or the rod won't go down at all.

-WH-
"All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse and a good wife." - D. Boone