Author Topic: Obama & EPA want to limit Farm Dust  (Read 1162 times)

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
Obama & EPA want to limit Farm Dust
« on: August 26, 2011, 05:40:17 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/19/us-epa-dust-regulation-idUSTRE67I5T120100819

Hard to comment on this stuff.

Do radical appointments matter?  ::)
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Obama & EPA want to limit Farm Dust
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 05:59:03 PM »
I think that's a great idea, and while their at it, eliminate farm subsidies while their there. The trucking industry has certainly had their business taxed, and jacked with, and didn't get the subsidies. And also while their at the farm, start makin the farmers pay taxes on fuel like everyone else. The farmer will get no sympathy from me. They have been riding the cash cow for decades. Their agricultural subsidies are more than double that of welfare. Even many wives of farmers are signed up, but don't farm. Fraud I think they call that.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 06:02:59 PM »
I can go with the elimating subsidies, the dust could be a little tough

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:32 PM »
nomosendero, I was being sarcastic about the dust. It's just another governmental idiocy. But the farmer does have a nest on the ground that is far more expensive than welfare itself. If I remember it is about 127,000,000,000.00 and welfare is about $52,000,000,000.00.

Offline nomosendero

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 06:12:18 PM »
Yes, I knew you had to be kidding about the dust, you can't walk to your truck in Odessa without dust flying, that part of the State would have to be closed!  ;D

Offline powderman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:43:49 PM »
HEH. I cut grass yesterday, first in 3 weeks. I was covered with dust, got 4tenths of rain this month, 1/2 in last month. Maybe the epa can make it rain, then no more dust. Never ceases to amaze me what liberals dream u to complicate things. Maybe obummer will appoint a rain czar. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 01:37:09 PM »
I think that's a great idea, and while their at it, eliminate farm subsidies while their there. The trucking industry has certainly had their business taxed, and jacked with, and didn't get the subsidies. And also while their at the farm, start makin the farmers pay taxes on fuel like everyone else. The farmer will get no sympathy from me. They have been riding the cash cow for decades. Their agricultural subsidies are more than double that of welfare. Even many wives of farmers are signed up, but don't farm. Fraud I think they call that.

I think you should check into that fraud thing if the wife of a farmer is signed up for subsidies. I believe the way it works is the farmer gets a check for 50% of the subsidy for the farm and his wife gets a check for the other 50%, not a 100% check to each. Nothing fraudlent about that. By the way, farmers pay a federal tax on diesel fuel. I saw that in a notice on the counter of the oil & gas place where I was buying fuel for my welding rig. Welders don't get subsidies either. They just make it or break on their own.

I understand you are a trucker so tell me the truth. Please. If subsidies were available for truckers would you take them or just grit your teeth and try to make it on your own?

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »
Another liberal trip into un-reality. Wishing it would will make it so.

Offline Dee

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 01:59:41 PM »
The wife doesn't farm, and they get a check from the government, claiming to farm. It is not a 50-50 the wife is not a farmer. The farmer has figured out how to double down thru technicalities, and is getting away with it.
Also they do not pay fuel taxes, which is a well known fact. Their farm fuel has red dye in it, and their not supposed to run it on the highway, but their almost never checked. It's just like their farm pickups which are around here many times, the King Ranch Edition pickup which is hardly a farm pickup, is used to pull their campers on vacations with farm tags.
The farmers here drive leather interior pickups, trade combines every year, and sometimes tractors too, take multiple expensive vacations, and two go to the Mayo Clinic every year for  yearly physicals. They get farm subsidies and so do their wives. It's all public record, and word is beginning to get around about how much they and their wives get.
And by the way, I have checked on all this. Like I said. It's public record, but the farmers haven't found out that it's now public record, and they still complain and say they just aren't gettin much help from the government.

As far as your question about me being a trucker. I sold my trucking business about 4 years ago, and no one subsidized me for anything. I made my profits, and took my loses like most Americans, and was fully aware that my taxes were in part funding farmers to live like kings. I made a good living, and with my wife's help, and God's blessing we paid for everything we have, including our home.
Would I take subsidies? Why answer a question to a non-existent program? Would you take a welder's subsidy?
Taking subsidies when one knows their riding the tax payers back, is like hook worms in a dog. The parasite is living free off the dog.

Offline BUGEYE

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
some say that CRP helps wildlife but if farm subsidies were stopped, those acres would go back into production which in turn feeds wildlife.  modern farm implements leave enough spillage to greatly benefit quail, pheasants, turkeys, deer etc.

oh, back on topic, dust can only be stopped by blacktopping every gravel and dirt road.
Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     Patrick Henry

Give me liberty, or give me death
                                     bugeye

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »
Is Texas a community property state? If so the wife is half owner of that farm and is a farmer. If the farm is rented I have no idea what the rules are. The FSA office is just 3 1/2 miles down the road and they are friendly. I'm going to stop in and get the word from the horse's mouth.

I asked if you would take trucker subsidies if they were AVAILABLE. Neat way to duck the question. I'll be upfront. Although subsidies were never available to welders if they had been I would damn sure have taken them. It would have been a way to get some of my tax dollars back.

Offline Dee

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 04:27:39 PM »
No one ducked anything oldandslow. You read and comprehend what you want to comprehend. You believe what, and how you want to believe. I absolutely could care less. Making excuses for freeloaders is an American past time. Farm subsidies is one of the MANY MAJOR REASONS we as a nation are broke. If you can figure out how to get those "welder subsidies" then you can be come one of the "other reasons". "EWG Farm Subsidy Data Base", is a better place to start your investigation.
My answer was as clear as a Church bell in my last sentence. You had predetermined my answer in your head and missed it.

I said: Taking subsidies when one knows their riding on the taxpayer back is like hook worms in a dog. The "parasite" is living free off the dog.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »
I grew up on a farm, my inlaws are farmers and the the subsidies,tax breaks, etc. for agriculture are numerous and out of control. The feds limit payments to individuals so the way around it is the wife has her name on a piece of land, the husband has his, the kids each have their names on some...How many checks would you like?

On the CRP issue:
The CRP program was very beneficial to wildlife, but at $200-250+ cash rent per acre compared to $80-100 per acre CRP payment, there's not much CRP left around here. My brother, two nephews and I shot our limit of 3 pheasants each in about 2 hours opening morning when my Dad still had his land in CRP and I'll assure you we didn't even put a dent in the population. I can't blame him for taking the rent though, it helped him finally pay off the farm in his retirement.

Farmers aren't the ones driving all the legislation on this though, the chemical and seed companies and the end users, large grain processors, meatpackers etc are all more powerful than any farm group out there and they have a huge financial stake in seeing farmers come out smelling like a rose.
Not surprising that the knucklehead in the White House is for "dust control", seems par for a guy who doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Dee

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 05:42:50 PM »
There ya go hunt-m-up. My brother in law is a farmer, and doubles down with his wife. New cars every year, new pickups every year, expensive multiple vacations, and a 1/4 million dollar home. The subsidies are out of control. The "farmers have basically taken a bribe" to plant what their told, so the big companies can control the markets, and the result is, it pays off like a slot machine.
My nephew, and neice work for Monsanto seed co. and the salaries, benefits ect. are above average. The seed company lobbyists are part of the hidden machine running D.C., and the taxpayer whom is not in on the dole, is the mule delivering the cash to these farmers.
There is nothing right about it, and there is no justifying it. I had a farmer friend a few months ago, tell me he DESERVED these monies, not knowing that I knew he had his wife signed up too. They play picked on, but are quite the opposite.

Offline The Hermit

• A Real Regular
  • Security is the ability to take care of yourself.
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 06:07:26 PM »
Dust?? I thought it was bad when they wanted to ban cows from farting and destroying the universe.

All this BS while the economy goes down the tubes.  Maybe we can get the dust to blow towards Mexico and confuse the heck out of the illegals.  Your tax dollars at work.

The Hermit

Offline Dee

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 12:52:02 AM »
Agreed Hermit. This dust issue is one of but many hundreds of issues, that have bankrupted the U.S. and will keep us on the downward spirial.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
Well Dee, I checked out your EWG Subsidy Database and found an interesting fact quickly.  I only checked four states and found this: in Texas 81% of farmers received NO subsidy- In New Mexico 84% of farmers received NO subsidy- In Arizona 93% of farmers received NO subsidy- In Oklahoma 69% of farmers received NO subsidy yet you make no mention of this fact in your post. You just tarred all farmers with the same brush. I am in no way supporting subsidies for farmers or anyone else for that matter but I kind of like to see true facts. I knew that all farmers did not receive subsidies but I had no idea that the number is as great as it is.

I was looking for a simple yes or no answer when I asked the question and got what I thought I would. A non-answer. Do I care? Not a bit.

Offline Dee

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 01:16:20 PM »
Well I'm sorry I didn't fill in every little detail for you there oldandslow, but I'm sure you'll be fine without them. After all. We don't have to agree, and this is a forum of opinions. I personally don't care if 90% of the farmers don't get them. NONE should get them.
And your response also was pretty much what I expected. You were on a quest to prove me wrong, and didn't, so you nit picked. ;)

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 04:09:38 AM »
Dee,
If you think the farmers you know are using fraud than it is your duty to report it, otherwise it is a mute point. If you just don't like the subsidies (which in IMHO has helped to keep YOUR food costs down) that is your right and start working with your legislators to get rid of them. The vast majority of farmers work very hard for what they have. It takes a fairly large farm these days to make it with tons of money invested for not always that great of return. An example is after my father's death in 1995 I was able to go through some of the farm's old tax records. I think it was 1956 that his and his brother's (they farmed together) farm grossed about $250K but the net profit was just over $5,000 to be split between them. I didn't want for any basics growing up but I know my parents were very careful about what they spent money on and I was told "no" many times concerning things that I wanted as a kid. As a kid we took two four day vacations in the 18 years I lived at home. We were not rolling in money. In many cases subsidies have saved many a farmer from going out of business. If too many family operations go under then only corporations will be running farms and you will see both your food prices go up, and with more organized lobbying efforts so will the subsidies.
GuzziJohn

Online ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 05:16:15 AM »
  Peerhaps if Obama would guarantee not to take any of the kid's inheritance in "estate taxes", the farmers may give up some of their 'freebies"..if that's what they are.   ...But last I heard, B Hussein wants to soak at least 50% of their estate away...usually the same farm & buildings the farmer's kids worked all their lives on.

...But this thread concerns the dust issue...

No doubt about it; if the pinheads in the federal government force farmers to pay more and more for some kind of 'dust suppression' equipment or processes..the cost of their final product will go up and up..
      One question...  How much are you willing to pay for a quart of milk, a pound of butter or beef, or a can of peas or corn..before you start whining ? 
   Do you think we aren't paying enough yet..even with the Obama inflation of the last year or so ?

B Hussein and his Chicago gang are already doing their best to destroy "Big Oil", "Big coal" plus many other businesses in their effort to destroy the US economy...  Now they are starting their attack on agriculture.

BTW:  Is anyone out on the golf course sticking it to "jumpshot"  with a dust tax...  every time he has to chop at a ball in a sand trap ? ;)   ;D
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 06:04:20 AM »
Lets see now, if you live in a city, you have air pollution from cars,bus's, and trucks. If you live in the country, you have farm dust. Sure doesn't leave many place's for a family to survive!! Maybe, just maybe, this is another one of those study's, that the federal govt. should cut,put a few people out of work, save us some tax dollars, and we should just get along with life. Dust and all. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline crustylicious

• A Real Regular
  • Reading is fundamental, comprehension optional!
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 06:32:53 AM »
Guzzi,
56 is when my dad started working for the Soil Conservation Service making the big money of $1,500 per year.  No wonder his farming brothers were jealous!
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and the wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell
"The speaking in perpetual hyperbole is comely in nothing but love" Francis Bacon, Sr.
Voting is like driving a car- choose (D) to go forward- choose (R) to go backwards!
When all think alike, no one thinks very much. Albert Einstein

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 08:58:55 AM »
Quote from Powderman:
Guzzi,
56 is when my dad started working for the Soil Conservation Service making the big money of $1,500 per year.  No wonder his farming brothers were jealous!

At least he knew he would have a steady paycheck without the worry of huge loans and overhead.
GuzziJohn

Offline Pat/Rick

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 09:10:35 AM »
I wonder if big agri-business holdings of monsanto, cargill, etc will be exempt from dust creation just like they were slated to be exempted from the National Animal ID System ?? Follow the (lobbyists)money.

Offline powderman

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
guzzi. HEH, your quote from me was crusty on post #21.
However, At great personal expense to me  I have installed dust collectors of my own design on my lawn mower. Now when I cut grass the dust is all safely collected in a bag. When full I simply add water from the pond and it turns back into dirt, I then remove it and fill holes around the yard. I may get a patent of this thing, works great. Never let it be said that ol Charlie didn't do his part. Think I could make any money selling them?? POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Offline Gary G

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 04:53:17 PM »
What you have here is an agency of government making laws when the Constitution specifically says that Congress shall make laws. It matters not who loses and who wins in these efforts of redistribution. If the Constitution was followed, such problems would not exist in the first place, and political influence and corruption would not be purchasable.
The sole purpose of government is to protect your liberty. The Constitution is not to restrict the people, but to restrict government.  Ron Paul

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

“Everyone wants to live at the expense of the State. They forget that the State lives at the expense of everyone.” — Frederic Bastiat

Offline sidewinder319

• A Real Regular
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 05:52:39 PM »
It is just more government control. What is next all the farmers will move to China? :'(

Offline lakota

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2011, 03:16:28 AM »
A law limiting the stupidity of government would be more useful.
Hi NSA! Can you see how many fingers I am holding up?

Offline guzzijohn

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 03:58:45 AM »
Sorry Powderman, my mistake.
GuzziJohn

Offline powderman

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 04:26:48 AM »
guzzi. With my new dust collector invention design and your money I think we could make some serious money adapting my invention to tractors, bulldozers, cars, even golf clubs. Whatta you think?? POWDERMAN.  :D :D :D :D :D :D