Author Topic: clothes make the man  (Read 1488 times)

Offline tinman

• Trade Count: (0)
clothes make the man
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:34:38 AM »
Dose what we wear matter?  I work with convicted felons every day.  trust me they are not all coked out thugs.  Are you walking around with a flashing neon sign " I GOT A GUN ".  last night at the market there was a gent. with a photographers vest.  second look, yep, snub in vest pocket or a hand full of rocks.  do you want to advertise that you armed.  just my .02$ for bad ideas; tactical shoulder bags ( in any color ), fanny packs, photographers/shooting/tactical vests.  "dont tread on me" ball caps (s&w colt nect) yes i like to show my support to, but... So dose it matter? put yourself in the bad guys shoes.  your an" Active Shooter" about to take out as many as you can.  who is frist, 2 teens arm in arm laughing, or the beer bellied guy in cammo, shoulder bag and a stag arms hat.  Or am I off base?

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
Re: clothes make the man
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 04:48:12 AM »
Sounds like profiling to me tinman....That's politically incorrect....lol

Seriously, point well made.  I could never figure out why some guys want to make it as obvious as possible they are packing, especially in open carry states.  The last thing I want is for a possible opponent to know I am armed.  When the &*%@ hits the fan, you want to be the fly on the wall, as much as possible, giving yourself the advantage.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 06:52:43 AM »
I went to a gun show yesterday---I always laugh at the way men and women dress going to these shows. It iis almost the same at fishing/boat shows. Got to dress the part so folks will know that you are knowledgeable anda"real" whatever.
I wore a pair of shorts, a button up Hawiaan shirt and some sandals---Who cares if someone thinks I am a nerd.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 06:58:10 AM »
Just a thought.  You're the "active shooter" and you look up and everyone you see is advertising they are armed.   ???   All BS aside, I don't wear camo or advertise in any way.  I actually go out of my way to look innocent, so to speak, yet I would likely be picked out of a crowd and chosen as most likely and they would be right. 

In my home area this is rather irrelevant as most here carry and a lot don't care who knows it.  It's when we go other places we have to adjust how we appear. 

Offline jhm

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 03:30:11 AM »
     I buy camo clothing for HUNTING some here meaning home buy it as a FASHION STATEMENT.  Go figure   Jim

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 05:32:20 AM »
Yes, in general it's better to stay away from the obvious gun-related gear.  But I think that we as a group make a bigger deal out of it than we need to.  I think that -in general- only gun people know that an IDPA type vest might hide a gun.  Most people, some super criminals not included, are oblivious to anything that is outside of their comfort circle.

Of course that isn't to say that one of "us" might snap one day and start shooting.  For certain, non law enforcement concealed carry licensees don't undergo any kind of rigorous mental examination.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:38:38 AM »
Of course that isn't to say that one of "us" might snap one day and start shooting.  For certain, non law enforcement concealed carry licensees don't undergo any kind of rigorous mental examination.

Hmm... is there anything you would like to get off your chest LnL?   :-\ LOL
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline jimster

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 01:30:24 PM »
I dress pretty normal I think in hot weather, usually just jeans and a tee shirt and a short sleeve shirt with buttons left untucked and open.  If it gets real hot cargo shorts and a tee shirt untucked.   I know what you mean about some people and their fishing vests or safari vests.  I do kind of like the safari vests.  Be better in colder weather though, seems more people wear more stuff when it's cold out.  I wear vests in the winter but there the cold weather puffy vests.   Hot weather is the problem, some people are a dead give away in hot weather with what they try to wear. I think you have to think things out better in hot weather so you don't stand out. 

Well, obviously it doesn't do much good for the cops to get a mental examination, they just got done beating someone to death...again.
Hell...the guy giving you a mental exam could be a weirdo these days.  I'm not for any government medling or deciding if I'm sane or not...my record is better than most of theirs, and my record is good enough.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
Nobody is immune--and nobody knows who or when.. That is part of the reason to carry.
If you knew when you would know when to carry.
Kinda like car insurance---you just never know when you or anyone else is not going to be driving when they should be.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline LocnLod

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 05:47:06 PM »

Hmm... is there anything you would like to get off your chest LnL?   :-\ LOL

Haha... no I'm fine.  I hadn't even thought of that possibility until someone mentioned it on another forum.  In our state, you only need a hunting license as documentation to get a CCW (still have to pass background check) and in other states, nothing.  There are those also "into guns" that aren't reasonable human beings.  And they know all about the gear.

I've only seen one person with one of those IDPA vests on, and he was carrying.  I was filling the gas tank, him the one next to me.  I saw the end of the holster when he bent into his car to get something.  Another time at Walmart a gentlemen had a gun fanny pack, same make/model that I owned, and he was wearing it at his back instead of his front, not covered or anything.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »
i work at a Publix Super Market and i see a lot of people everyday. I see many people with shoulder bags(one even said on it "protected by S&W") fanny packs, CCW cards showing in places you should not see them(on said bag or pack), loaded handguns siting in the top part of shopping carts(i point at one as ask a guy "sir, is that you gun"), and pepole just looking armed.

I don't carry have  CCW(beside my CRKT M16z or OC spray, or somethings when i am walking to the woods for shooting my CO2 Hk USP in a Strong side holsters) but i dress just like everyone else when i am carry a weapon(dress for the environment your in). i wear  rap, urban, military , country styles clothing or whatever i feel like wear that  does not make me stand out.  most time a wear a John Deere hat or my  US FLAG with eagle camo hat , ecko unlimited shirt , blue jeans or BDU pants and hikeing boots or sneaker.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 10:42:23 AM »
A large pistol may require special clothing. My plan is a PPK in my back pocket, in a holster. No clues.

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:41 AM »
So the shoulder bag for men is out , good better to have gun secured not hanging on a shoulder. Fanny pack on big guy sissy looking no matter what ya do. Vest yells look for the gun. All IMHO .
 I wear pants one size larger than what i need to allow the gun to hide.
 William , thanks ! When I go to a gun show its shorts or jeans and tee shirt with out anything printed on it. work boots or tennis shoes . Now I know why the camo clad comandos behind the tables don't care to talk , I don't dress like I know about guns . Maybe some camo and jump boots would get me respect ? think so ?

One point that hasn't been addressed is if you are visibly armed and something bad happens and a cop dosen't know you are a good guy you might get shot if you reach for your weapon. If you don't print and place your hand on the weapon who knows ?
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 12:00:45 PM »
Now I know why the camo clad comandos behind the tables don't care to talk , I don't dress like I know about guns .

You may have said this in jest but there is a lot of truth to it.  I wear shorts with big pockets and Larry the cable guy type shirts and find it hard to find anyone willing to talk.  I like it that way.   ;)   Gotta get me some of them Hawaiian shirts to chop the sleeves off of.  Shoot they might not even know I was there.   :D 

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 06:47:32 AM »
So the shoulder bag for men is out , good better to have gun secured not hanging on a shoulder. Fanny pack on big guy sissy looking no matter what ya do. Vest yells look for the gun. All IMHO .
 I wear pants one size larger than what i need to allow the gun to hide.
 William , thanks ! When I go to a gun show its shorts or jeans and tee shirt with out anything printed on it. work boots or tennis shoes . Now I know why the camo clad commandos behind the tables don't care to talk , I don't dress like I know about guns . Maybe some camo and jump boots would get me respect ? think so ?

One point that hasn't been addressed is if you are visibly armed and something bad happens and a cop doesn't know you are a good guy you might get shot if you reach for your weapon. If you don't print and place your hand on the weapon who knows ?

Well the "tactual shoulder bags" like maxpedition or a something in Digital Woodland Camouflage are out. As i said i don't CCW but, i read everything i can on CCW and  i do have to walk pass a police station, cross US19, walk through a parking lot of stores and a bank and walk through a up scale hood with  lots of houses (all with lots of people outside and eyes watching) to get to the woods were i shoot so, concealing my weapons is number 1. I carry a pottery barn teen messenger bag(added some hello Kitty stickers) and no one ever has suspected that their is weapons in there  and  once i had  3k in cash in there that i was taking to the bank. the messenger bag has a large pocket on the back of it(which is very close to your body) and i add a cross draw houlater for my CO2 HK usp and a boot knife in their so i can easyly get to if needed(almost steped on a snake and have seen lots of them). this set up has passed the "can you walk by the cops watching you from 20 feet away" test. I was always readed when it comes to CCW think wolf in sheep's clothing. You look like all the rest of the  sheep but your really a sheepdog.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 03:47:43 AM »

in a womans  case.......
 many carry a purse half the time
this  is a pet peeve of mine when  i see  it
i hope  when ever you encounter this  you will  try to stop this practice

i small time purse snatcher....  NOW HAS A GUN

most bad people want an easy  ''mark''
your  ''i don't dial 911''   t-shirt   may  make you stand out
but  it might  make the  perpetrator to find an easier target
they probly cancell each other out........who  knows the statistical probabilities??
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 05:05:25 AM »
I wore a pair of shorts, a button up Hawiaan shirt and some sandals
Hey, there aint nothing wrong with Aloha shirts from Hawai'i or as some call them "Hawaiian, Carabbean, Island Shirts" as I wear them all the time until the weather gets to cool here in NW Montana.....  ;D

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 05:23:38 PM »
I warmand hot weather I carry my PF-9 in a Fobus Evolution II Tac Holster on my belt, left side and slightly forward in a cross draw. With a loose shirt pulled over it it's invisable. My P-32 rides in a pocket holster. In cooler weather I wear short sleeved tac shirt. With another shirt over the top I can carry two handguns in it and both are totaly invisable. The 9mm showing looks bulky because it's riding high in the holster visable just for the pic. A handgun normally slides out of view and rides closer to the body.

I normaly dress to blend in with whatever crowd I'm around at any given time. One point to concider. I'f I know I'll be in a high crime area I not only dress to be inconspicuous but I wear my 9mm where I have the easiest access possible to it. Does you no good if you have to dig for it and you're needing it in a hurry.

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 05:22:03 AM »
I guess it depends on where you live.  If you don't ware camo around here, your probably a stranger.  Now if your pants and shirt were three sizes too big for you and your hat was on  crooked, Id have my eye on you.