Author Topic: New York Governor proposes cuts to schools and Medicaid/Layoffs  (Read 892 times)

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
    News  New York governor Andrew Cuomo's budget reduces spending with cuts, layoffs Published: Tuesday, February 01, 2011       0diggs       ShareThis    3       

Click to enlarge 
AP Photo/Mike Groll New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo presents his 2011-2012 proposed Executive Budget in Albany, N.Y., on Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011. Cuomo is proposing a budget that calls for as many as 9,800 layoffs in addition to cuts to Medicaid and school aid.  ALBANY — Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday did what no New York governor has tried in 15 years: He unveiled a budget plan that would reduce overall spending — including up to 9,800 layoffs and what education advocates say is a historic cut in aid to public schools — as the state tries to get out from under crippling deficits.

The budget is being watched closely nationwide. Other states with fiscal years that begin after New York’s April 1 start will also have to grapple with historic deficits, unsustainable spending and unaffordable work force levels without slowing already sluggish economic recoveries.

“This budget achieves real, year-to-year savings while restructuring the way we manage our government,” Cuomo said Tuesday. “This is the first step toward rebuilding a new New York.”

Cuomo said the overall budget, including federal funds tied to state spending, decreases 2.7 percent under his plan, a reduction in spending not seen in Albany since the mid-1990s. That’s $3.7 billion less than the current 2010-11 budget, which was bloated by billions in temporary federal stimulus funds. The state operations portion grew by 1 percent.

Besides addressing a $10 billion deficit projected for the coming fiscal year, the spending cuts would reduce huge projected deficits in future years. Cuomo said the four-year total deficit would $9.2 billion, down from a projected $64.6 billion.

Cuomo’s spending plan presented Tuesday addresses what the comptroller’s office projected as a more than $10 billion deficit without new or higher taxes and without borrowing, a longtime Albany practice in hard fiscal times.

Cuomo’s proposal would cut $918.4 million in state aid to New York City, more than half of it school aid, and provide no municipal aid to the city for the second straight year.

Although short of some expectations of a deeper cut in the state budget that jumped a record $14 billion since 2008, the proposal remains an uncommonly conservative plan for Albany.

“The question always was, would he ’walk the walk,”’ said David Catalfamo, a GOP adviser and former top aide of Republican Gov. George Pataki, the last governor to reduce overall spending in a final budget. “This budget walks the walk.”

Cuomo’s $132.9 billion budget cuts education and health care spending and recommends layoffs through attrition. New York faces the same kind of historic shortfalls that states nationwide face when their executive budget proposals are due in the coming months. Continued...

Page 1 of 3  http://www.oneidadispatch.com/articles/2011/02/01/news/doc4d48d89ac20ba136774947.txt?viewmode=2

Offline magooch

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: New York Governor proposes cuts to schools and Medicaid/Layoffs
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 05:03:50 AM »
I love it when dumycrats have to eat the mess they created.  In my state, the dumycrats have spent us into oblivion and the stupid voters of the state keep electing them anyway.  Our Governor also has had to accept deep cuts for the past few years.  I love it.

As much as I absolutely hate the dumycrats running my state, I'm happy that it is impossible for them to get away with putting the blame on Republicans who haven't been in power for a long time.
Swingem

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 05:08:13 AM »
This is just the tip of the ice berg. The horrible job killing policies of the obama administration are going to force states to lay off workers and push private sector jobs off shore.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Dee

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:27:06 AM »
All of which is Obama's plan in the first place.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline magooch

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:50:00 AM »
But, but, but what happened to "I will not rest until everyone who wants a job, has one." ?
Swingem

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 05:59:18 AM »
But, but, but what happened to "I will not rest until everyone who wants a job, has one." ?

Lets see.....

Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline DDZ

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 06:22:05 AM »

He just said that to try and get someone other than a welfare recipient, union member, or a liberal to vote for him. 
Those people who will not be governed by God will be ruled by tyrants.    Wm. Penn

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:07:39 AM »
This is just the tip of the ice berg. The horrible job killing policies of the obama administration are going to force states to lay off workers and push private sector jobs off shore.
Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy and super wealthy had nothing to do with it, right?

Offline jimster

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 07:41:15 AM »
Bush's tax cuts for the wealthy and super wealthy had nothing to do with it, right?
Bush has been gone. He had nothing to do with the money that has been spent lately, the stim pacs that made things worse, nor has he signed any of this legislation from his ranch in Texas. 
And Reagan isn't signing anything from his grave either.  Obviously this belongs to your people.  And even more to the point, it probably would not have mattered who was president over the past several years,  Bush signed everything the Dems in control put on his desk far back as 2006...so no matter what,  the party you support is in this up to their ears...they wrote it...

Offline ihookem

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 09:05:09 AM »
And,, Obama extended the tax cuts. He hates Bush but then copies him. No other reason cause he has no plan at all to solve a problem.

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 09:45:25 AM »
"
But, but, but what happened to "I will not rest until everyone who wants a job, has one." ?"
        Just be patient- As soon as he gets back from vacation he will put golfing on the back burner and rescue us peons!!

Offline nomosendero

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
"
But, but, but what happened to "I will not rest until everyone who wants a job, has one." ?"
        Just be patient- As soon as he gets back from vacation he will put golfing on the back burner and rescue us peons!!

One can only hope he keeps playing golf until Nov. 2012
You will not make peace with the Bluecoats, you are free to go.

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 01:45:30 PM »

Thats right, nothing at all. These budget problems are created from too much spending. We have more than enough tax revenue. Thanks for pointing that out again so we can once again clarify for the readers the games that liberals love to play with taxes.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »
>Thanks for pointing that out again so we can once again clarify for the readers the games that liberals love to play with taxes.
You're playing with facts. Bush's tax cuts led the USA to the brink of Great Depression #2.

Offline powderman

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 02:42:12 PM »
All of which is Obama's plan in the first place.

Ya beat me to it. POWDERMAN.  :o :o
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Out West
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
>Thanks for pointing that out again so we can once again clarify for the readers the games that liberals love to play with taxes.
You're playing with facts. Bush's tax cuts led the USA to the brink of Great Depression #2.
Over spending did. We have more than ample tax revenue. The liberals can't help themselves. They love to spend.

We would eventually be here. Over taxing leads to the same end. It robs the private sector of capitol. In fact, it is not possible to correct our current budget problems with any tax increase. Even your beloved white house resident admits that tax increases would hurt the economy.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 03:28:41 PM »

Junior, my wife and I have a combined income of less than $50k a year.  Bush's tax cuts meant $40.00 more per paycheck for me.  Am I rich or super rich?  The problem is not a tax problem, it's an unconstitutional Fed. gov. getting involved in too many things they have no business in.  This is not just an Obama thing, Bush's drug plan and educational plans are no business of the Fed. Gov.  If we scaled the Gov. back to what the founders envisioned, they could cut the tax rate to almost nothing...

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline powderman

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:30 PM »
The problem is not a tax problem, it's an unconstitutional Fed. gov. getting involved in too many things they have no business in.

MECHANIC. Exactly. Good post. POWDERMAN.  ;D ;D
Mr. Charles Glenn “Charlie” Nelson, age 73, of Payneville, KY passed away Thursday, October 14, 2021 at his residence. RIP Charlie, we'll will all miss you. GB

Only half the people leave an abortion clinic alive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAiOEV0v2RM
What part of ILLEGAL is so hard to understand???
I learned everything about islam I need to know on 9-11-01.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDqmy1cSqgo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9kieqGppE&feature=related
http://www.illinois.gov/gov/contactthegovernor.cfm