Author Topic: dog home defense  (Read 1776 times)

Offline jamaldog87

• Trade Count: (0)
dog home defense
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:29:21 AM »
I have hear that a dog will not protect your home unless you have a highly trained protection dog, is this right?  Lets say i was to get a Rhodesian Ridgeback/Mix,  or a Australian Cattle Dog , or some kind of other Terrier,Retriever, hound mix at the ASPCA(there are many of them their) would said animal do something other than lick a attacker breaking into my home?
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
Re: dog home defense
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »
If the dog has been mistreated and is scared by most anybody strange it would make a poor protector.

My wife has a Pomeranian/ JR mix of about 23 lb. Friendly little "chit" to say the least. When he is sole occupant in the truck, nobody better stick their hands or face through the partial closed window.!!

Are you expecting the dog to take down an intruder or just be a deterrent and give you time to get the means to defend yourself.
If the dog is going to do all of it, I suggest you get something large and trained.
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:46:24 AM »
I have had several Labs all would protect me and family to some degree. The first was a 90 pound male that would not allow anyone near my kids unless he was told it was OK. nothing came in the yard unless he was told it was OK . No one could walk up behind me with out a growl from him. He would position himself between me or family and watch . The second a female about 60 lbs attacks if things don't seem right . She dosen't position herself just explodes at the threat. I can call her off with voice commands as I could the male. The third is a pup about 80 lbs and he is an alarm , barks at anything - anytime . Nither of the first two were trainned to protect they just packed with the family and do their part.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 12:07:57 PM »
a  big bad dog can get you sued
a big bad dog  is  nothing to a determined person
i would return with a bow or spear or machette......even a tire iron

i  noisy   little annoying thing will let you call the shots...if needed

when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
We had a Chow that was very protective of the family. He didn't have to be trained, he simply knew when to be agresive and when not. Unfortunately he grew old and is no longer with us. I now have a Boxer. Yes, a determined intruder can overcome a dog. However, that gives me the split second I, or my wife, might need to blow his sorry butt away!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:27:12 PM »
boxer  is my favorite.......bred a few hundred of them
they are naturally protective and love  kids

mine attacked  once and almost got me  sued
another  time the guy was led away in hand cuffs  and
 a boxer  tearing up his jacket........he won't be back

AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 06:04:35 AM »
The first was a 90 pound male that would not allow anyone near my kids unless he was told it was OK. nothing came in the yard unless he was told it was OK . No one could walk up behind me with out a growl from him. He would position himself between me or family and watch . The second a female about 60 lbs attacks if things don't seem right . She doesn't position herself just explodes at the threat. I can call her off with voice commands as I could the male. 

I see so, most dogs are naturally protective  and will tell you if someone is trying to get in. I have never owned a dog myself but, my mom and dad had a female lab that was a just like shoot all lab(this was back when he 1st join the Navy). It's odd that they say(netgo had some show about it) if someone was breaking into your home your dog would do nothing at all beside act friendly and what to play, that sound like a bad dog to me.

I not thinking of getting a dog right now (get house then dog) but i am just asking because i kept hearing about how a dog is unless for home defense. I know a dog from the ASPCA is not going to act like a dog on SEAL team 6 or 12 but at least thought it would be a deterrent or alarm that something was going down.
Most Interesting Man in the World: I Don’t Always Watch Shows for Little Girls, but when I Do, I prefer My Little pony . stay magic my friends

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:38:59 AM »
Dogs can serve two purposes in your home defense plan: the first is as an early warning/alarm system that lets you know someone/something is about, for this most any dog will do so long as they will bark at the appropriate time.  The second is the protection dog, this type dog will not only let you know the intruder is there but will engage them.  For this type of dog it takes a very particular type of dog, there are many breeds that will work but not all dogs in those breeds will.  You are going to have to invest serious time, energy and money into training this type of dog.  Not to be hateful, but since you had to ask this question you are not qualified to train such a dog and you would need to have it professionally done, plan on investing between 5000 and 7500 dollars in such a dog.  You need a dog that is not aggressive unless told to be and that will obey your every command without hesitation.  I suspect you could probably get a dog that would fill the first role quite well from the shelter but the odds of getting a dog that would fill the second role there are probably about equal to finding a winning  million dollar lottery ticket beside the road.

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 07:08:33 AM »
Even if i had the money having a  professionally trained protection dog i have been told (unless your LEO, armed forces or a high value target for kidnapping or attack) is a bad idea. there was one of these dog some years ago on the news that made a mistake(a cable guy came into the people home even that there was a sign that warned there was a dog in inside. well the dog did what it was train to do and the cable guy try to hit the dog which made it attack. the guy was OK but the city put the dog down and the people got sue.) To me a dog should be a early warning/alarm system and you should be the one make the call to engage the intruder because it's a animal and even best dogs make mistakes.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:17 AM »
  Don't really think i buy the story that they have to be trained to protect. I had a Rott. that was a very friendly dog. Liked everybody. A 110 pound dog that would sit on peoples lap if they would let her. Posted here before how she kept me from getting my butt beat at 2:30 one morning. She knew better than i did who you could trust. Read in the paper two days later that a car matching the description of the one she helped me convince they better leave robbed a garage the next road over from me.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:48 AM »
Looking at your last post it is my opinion that you would be better served with a good burglar alarm system then a dog. ;) :)

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 08:17:45 AM »
Dogs are best viewed as a first alert system to buy you or your loved ones some time to retrieve a weapon and or move to safety if an assault occurs while you are home.   Tho a dog may deter your run of the mill neighborhood punks a determined burglar/home invader will have the means to deal with any dog I don't care how big or how mean they are.

Dogs do make great friends and companions however so if you like animals and are willing to spend the time and money required to feed, care for and train one by all means go for it.   Unlike a lot of people a dog will love you no matter what and will seldom hold a grudge against you when you make a mistake.   ;D   
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 08:38:05 AM »
jamaldog-  if you are still living in Florida you may want to check with your homeowners liability insurance.  Most of the companies in Florida will cancel your policy if you bring in certain breeds of dogs,  and the list includes most of the "guard dogs".   

I view my three dogs as "watch dogs" - they are alert, bark in loud, deep voices and actually jump at the door or window when someone comes to the front porch...but they are not trained to attack.     I have heard the word on the street is "don't mess with that house - he's got crazy dogs in there!"     Houses on either side of me have had burglaries over the past 15 years, but never mine.   One winter some idiot did try to jimmy open a front window but he didn't know I had my big Dobie inside at the time and found himself face to face with 115 lbs of canine deterrent. 

As has been mentioned before,  a dtermined home invader/burglar can take out a dog easily if they want to.   I love my animals too much to knowingly send them into harms way....  they just give me the extra seconds to get armed and in position by being "watch dogs".   
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 08:52:05 AM »
Something one might consider is many consider an attack/guard dog like they do a gun . If they feel a threat they defend themselves.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Axehandle

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 09:22:14 AM »
My 7 pound Pocket Dawg is my first line of defence.  Had potential perps laugh at Pocket dawg and remark that they would simply step on him.  They miss the point.  He barks and his job is over.  My job starts.

Offline Brett

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 09:51:35 AM »
My 7 pound Pocket Dawg is my first line of defence.  Had potential perps laugh at Pocket dawg and remark that they would simply step on him.  They miss the point.  He barks and his job is over.  My job starts.

LOL Good doggie!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter

Offline jamaldog87

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 11:18:43 AM »
jamaldog-  if you are still living in Florida you may want to check with your homeowners liability insurance.  Most of the companies in Florida will cancel your policy if you bring in certain breeds of dogs,  and the list includes most of the "guard dogs".   

I view my three dogs as "watch dogs" - they are alert, bark in loud, deep voices and actually jump at the door or window when someone comes to the front porch...but they are not trained to attack.     I have heard the word on the street is "don't mess with that house - he's got crazy dogs in there!"     Houses on either side of me have had burglaries over the past 15 years, but never mine.   One winter some idiot did try to jimmy open a front window but he didn't know I had my big Dobie inside at the time and found himself face to face with 115 lbs of canine deterrent. 

As has been mentioned before,  a determined home invader/burglar can take out a dog easily if they want to.   I love my animals too much to knowingly send them into harms way....  they just give me the extra seconds to get armed and in position by being "watch dogs".   

yes, it's one of the reason you can find so many nice pure breed or mix breeds at the ASPCA. what i really wanted to know is if most dogs will do something more than lick themselves if a someone comes to the house at night,  that is the questsion i am asking.  I am not looking/talking a attack dog , i just want to know at the min. that most dogs will start barking, that is it.

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 11:29:15 AM »
Once most any breed of dog is taken into a household, yard or other area that they share with their "alpha" owners,  then the dog instinctively views his surroundings as its territory.    When a stranger enters the territory the dog will sound the alarm to the "alpha" to alert all that someone "not of the pack"  is coming too close.   This is typical pack behavior of canines.

I did emphasize  "most" because there are some breeds of dogs that are so laid back that they do not care if a stranger comes into its territory.   Generally though if you are looking for a mixed breed dog from the pound they are good alert dogs and are ususally pretty hardy.
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline highwayman

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 02:09:04 PM »
we have a bird dog with a nice deep bark that will put most people back in their cars but will not bite anybody.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 05:36:30 PM »
Ditto to LEO’s post.  At one time I raised and trained German Sheppard’s for protection dogs.  We sold to many of the Southern Cities back in the late 50s, early 60s. At the time a “protection dog” was mostly an attack dog that would attack anything but it’s trainer/handler. Some are still trained this way today, but most are trained to attack on command only.  That said, the nature of a dog is to protect it’s territory, most all breeds are territorial to some degree, some more so than others.  Having worked dogs, I can truly say a dog can not match man intent to overpower or take it out.  I am meaner than any dog I have ever met, maybe not with bare hands but then a thief would not normally approach a place without some means of protecting themselves.  A dog is a very effective “early warning system,” all they have to do is bark  I have three that lets me know if someone is near the house, they supplement my ADT system.

My son and his wife had their house broken in one night, they lay in bed while the robber was in the room with them, and he took $1200. out of my son’s wallet, cash and jewelry from a dressing table on the opposite side of the bed, neither of them ever woke up, they had three dogs.  My daughter-in-law had “beaten” the dogs every time they barked prior to this so they never even whimpered while the intruder as there. Today they have a new Dog, a 3-4 pound Pomeranian but it barks at every movement around the house, doing what he is paid to do.

Bottom line, I wouldn’t count on a dog alone for protection, as a warning system great, and if they will bite that’s a bonus, but keep in mind most any man can eliminated the dog if that’s all the protection you have. And a male dog can always be led off with female "in season."

Offline Brett

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 04:04:58 AM »
I never beat or really reprimanded my dogs for barking at the "hoodoo there".   Initially I would go investigate, then praise the dog and then tell her that was enough.   So it would be something like "Good girl, what's out there?  It's okay, that's enough now."   This let her know she did her job by alerting me to a possible problem, I looked into it and made a determination and let her know that everything was okay.

After a period of time they got better at determining when it was appropriate to sound the alarm and when it was not necessary on their own.  They figure out that the boss is not concerned about bunnies, the dog next door and such but that he is concerned about strange people or vehicles coming onto the property.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 03:07:42 PM »
I've always believed that for a good early warning type dog it's tough to beat a terrier. They're pretty damned feisty.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline Blue Duck

• A Real Regular
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 05:19:45 AM »
Training is the key with any dog.  Untrained dogs are loose cannons.  Untrained aggressive dogs are as likely to bite friends and foes.