Author Topic: Mortar accidents  (Read 4416 times)

Offline gunsonwheels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Mortar accidents
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
This thread sat for a few days without any response and now has had as much (if not more) good safety info in it as any I've seen.  Anyone getting into mortars would benefit from it.  Thanks to all...  :D 

Now I have to go and design/fab a few blast shields...  :)   Nice to have a few good ideas for starting on a design... Thanks again!

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2011, 05:11:57 PM »
delete

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »
It is apparent that serious thought has gone into this topic.  A great resource of useful ideas.

One question.  How strong pressure wise is the touch hole blast?  Must the shield be "securely bolted into place" or would "a couple of dowels tapped into the earth & a big can with matching holes" withstand the pressure.
Russ

PS This would make a great addition to the stickies!

A thing pieces sheet metal nailed to a wooden block works just fine for a the 24  PDRS.

Ore get fancy witha piece of Aluminum angle.

Here is a couple of  N-SSA guys cleaning the bore.

Here is another N-SSA guy cleaning the bore and you can see the vent shield.  Don't think it needs to be that tall.

8 inch and  24 PDR with vent shields on a block,

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2011, 05:45:38 PM »
I use 3/8 inch plywood fastened to a 4x4 for my 24 pdr mortar, and 3/8 inch plywood with a bracket that fits over the fulcrum on my 8 inch mortar. 
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA

Offline Double D

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2011, 05:55:57 PM »
I use 3/8 inch plywood fastened to a 4x4 for my 24 pdr mortar, and 3/8 inch plywood with a bracket that fits over the fulcrum on my 8 inch mortar.

Do you have any close up pictures Norm?

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2011, 06:06:55 PM »
Here's one of the 8 inch siege mortar vent shield.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
Here are another couple of different ways to make vent shields:
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 09:32:12 PM »
Artilleryman:

I think your pic looks suspiciously like OSB instead of ply'...  :)   I guess it doesn't take anything pretty or sophisticated to do the job...  Guess I'll start simple and go to pretty later...

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2011, 12:59:21 AM »
Pretty hard for a piece of wood to look pretty after twenty or so years of rough use. 

Offline gunsonwheels

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2011, 04:37:09 AM »
AMan:

Pretty hard for a piece of wood to look pretty after twenty or so years of rough use. 
   better the wood (or wood product) than and arm...  or leg... or whatever...  8)

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2011, 05:05:28 AM »
a lot of great ideas. 

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2011, 05:34:37 AM »
This is a vent shield that I friend of mine uses.  I still haven't found a digital photo of the vent shield that I use on my 24 pdr mortar.

Offline Double D

« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2011, 05:36:19 AM »

Ya, there is something to be said for that, why just this morning when I looked in the mirror....

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
Here's one of the 8 inch siege mortar vent shield.

Thanks for the photo and info, Norm. Thinking of that 3/8" plywood board absorbing the punishment delivered by such an intense degree of energy, not to mention the abrasion caused by all the ejected friction primer tubes hitting it at near point blank range, and for a period of 20 yrs., no less; and mind you, we're not talking about a reduced scale model here, we are now dicussing the blowback coming from the vent of an 8-inch siege mortar (the real thing, BTW).
Well, what can I say other than: I've evidently really been underestimating the strength of plywood for a good many years; or have I?  ::)
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »
The dowels are actually stainless bolts that have nuts attached between the braces on the bottom of the sled and act as levelers on uneven ground. There is a level attached on the top left of the sled and I've got a bubble level that can be set wherever on the sled to level it all out.

I mistook them for wood dowels that went through the bed to stake it to the ground, which doesn't make a lot of sense for more than a few reasons, but now I understand the bolts intended purpose. You put a lot of thought (and work) into your mortar and bed design, and it's admirable.

I think that I recall seeing pics of your mortar before, but I must not have been paying close attention to the bed. I very much like the way it looks, but I don't think I've ever seen another exactly like it. If you've got any other photos handy, would you mind posting them?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2011, 12:20:38 PM »
It would appear from the previous posts that cleaning and inspecting the bore before loading and using a vent shield are the two main safety concerns in safely loading and firing a mortar.  I have another question concerning mortars that I will address in another thread.  Thanks to all that participated in this thread.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »
Norm,

Don't turn the lights out and get ready to lock the door just yet, I think I see someone sitting at a shadowed table in the corner still sipping his drink from the last call.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2011, 02:25:21 PM »
That's fine with me.

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2011, 03:41:10 PM »
Took some pics of the deflector for my gb mortar today:
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!