Author Topic: A - Max bullet?  (Read 659 times)

Offline JimDandy

• Trade Count: (0)
A - Max bullet?
« on: August 31, 2011, 07:14:06 AM »
I hunt deer in PA. Most shots are 100 yards or less. My Tikka in 308 really likes the 168 A max ammo, is that bullet sutible for shorter ranges.?  I also shoot Rem. 150 PSP CL, but they are not as accurate. I know i dont need pinpoint accuracy at close range. Would the A Max perform at 50- 75 yds, or should I stick with the Core Lokts??Thanks in Advance.

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Re: A - Max bullet?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
If that’s what you and your rifle like by all means keep using them. I also hunt PA, I have killed plenty of Deer with the cheap Hornady SP bullets from 40 to 150 yards. Most being in the 40 to 60 yard range. One well placed shot with .308 bullet is all it takes. I have used the more expensive stuff but only with rifles sighted in for 300 yard or more.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 09:52:17 AM »
The A-MAX is a well made, and accurate target bullet.  Not designed for medium or big game, especially in close range / high velocity situations.  (The Hornaday web site states as such)  I live and hunt in PA as well, and, as you stated, most shots are rather close, unless you are hunting grain fields, or power lines.  I would stick to a good hunting bullet, like your CL's.  Even if they are not quite as accurate as the A-MAX's, they should be plenty for the ranges in question.  If you reload, you might want to try Nosler Ballistic Tips.  They are consistently one of the most accurate hunting bullets I have tried in my rifles, and perform well on deer at .308 velocities.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 01:16:31 PM »
  simple test at the range will tell you a lot about the bullets you are using. A few phone books or bales of wet newspaper will let you know how much the bullet will expand. Just set them up at various distances and shoot them. A huge "wound" on the surface or a deep tunnel! If you insist on the AMAX, try loading them down to lower velocity. Then remember to clean up the wet bales when done.

Offline shot1

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 12:15:01 PM »
My Hornady reloading manual list the 150 A-Max as a thin skin game bullet as well as a target bullet. It should be OK as long as you don't try to use Texas heart shots. I and some friends that I have turned them on to it have had great success on deer with this load in the 308 Win.  46 grs IMR 4895, WW case, CCI-BR2 primer, 125 Nosler Ballistic Tip, OAL 2.742 and average 3000 fps.  It is super accurate and will just pole ax deer in their tracks from point blank to a little over 300 yards for me so far. Just keep the impact speed below 3100 fps and this bullet really works on deer. I shoot it in two different caliber rifles 308 Win @ 3000 fps and a Wildcat 30X47 HBR @ 2850 fps and a Contender pistol 14" barrel 30-30AI @ 2670 fps and have killed 30 some deer with this bullet like I said from almost point blank, 45 yards, to a little over 300 yards and I have only had two move out of their tracks and they did not go over three jumps.

Offline tvc15

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:35 PM »
Gotta go with Larry on this one.

TVC15

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 04:03:14 PM »
I've only shot 3 deer with the 150 A-Max from my .308, very efficient killer none went more than a few yards. Since I don't reload, last year I decided to try the cheaper Core-Lokts again, accuracy was so close to the A-Maxs the deer will never notice.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 04:08:53 PM »
I would probably give the 165 grn Hornady SST a shot in .308, I like the performance of the SST's in my .270.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 12:39:05 AM »
Go buy some bulk 150 or 165gr corelokts and you will have all you will ever need.

Austin
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 03:50:52 PM »
Go buy some bulk 150 or 165gr corelokts and you will have all you will ever need.

Austin

At about 30/30 velocities.

Offline sk330lc

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 04:23:07 PM »
" *Match bullets are not recommended for hunting medium & large game* "   From the Hornady website..   I would think they would know what their bullets were built to do..  Now saying that will they Kill a deer.  Yes
Be True to What You Hunt!!!!!
SUPPORT THE GBO SERVER
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.0/topicseen.html