Author Topic: Size of land for hunting  (Read 688 times)

Offline BRL

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Size of land for hunting
« on: January 05, 2004, 03:04:14 PM »
I am looking to purchase a parcel of hunting land in Florida, within 3 hours of where I live so I can go often during deer season and year round for hogs. My question is: what is the minimum amount of land I would need. Land here is somewhat expensive as compared to most other states. I am finding several parcels resonably priced in the range of 50 - 80 acres. Some of these parcels border national forrest land, hunt clubs and preserves, so it's not like it is a small piece of land bordered by non-game habitat. Although, maybe that's not a plus as I may find other hunters trespassing on my land. I don't know. Any experience would be welcomed.

Thanks for any replies and advise!
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline huntsman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Size of land for hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 03:45:59 PM »
I don't have experience in FL, but about anywhere I have ever hunted (3 states) your individual situation is much, much more important than the exact acreage. Keep in mind that unless you are hunting open land, you can rarely cover more than 6 or 7 acres from a stand. If you have a majority of neighbors that either: 1) don't hunt or don't allow hunting, 2) follow a legitimate deer management plan, 3) are exceptionally large and remote, or 4) have prime deer habitat (in the order listed), then you have a good situation.

Take the time to find out who your neighbors will be. It will pay big dividends down the road. You don't want any nasty surpises once you close the deal.
There is no more humbling experience for man than to be fully immersed in nature's artistry.

Offline Dutch/AL

• Avid Poster
Size of land for hunting
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 06:06:11 PM »
One reason leasing property appeals to me, is because once you buy a piece of land, a lot of different factors that you cannot control can come into play. Primarily, tresspassing and lousy neighbors. You won't know for certain just what type situation you will have, until you buy it and own it awhile.

If you're lucky, you could end up with a real gem of a piece of land. If you're unlucky, you can wish you never bought it.

I know a fellow who finally owns his dream property of around 120 acres. It is a beautiful piece of property that he has invested a lot of time and effort in with creating ideal deer habitat. The locals have recognized how nice a place it is also, and he spends quite a bit of time running over there late at night trying to catch tresspassers. He's even actually managed to catch a few and have them prosecuted by the game warden.

Me? I lease property from a paper company, and if the property turns sour for whatever reason and things get out of control there, I can simply look for another lease quickly for next season, without worrying about having to sell.

I guess in a way it's 6 of one and half a dozen of another. My experience is that I never know for certain what I have till I give a piece of property a try, and either way it costs money.

As for how many acres you need? Well my advice is buy as many as you can afford. If you've only got 50, you'll invariably see deer right across the line. If you've got 100, you'll see deer right across the line too. You get the picture.

In any event, you would need several thousand acres in order to manage your deer effectively, so with only several hundred acres or less, if you pass up deer to let them get older, the likelyhood of your neighbors taking those deer is very likely. Most people cannot afford to buy enough land to effectively manage thier deer, but large leases are possible.

If you can gather enough info on a piece of property you are interested in, a 50 to 80 acre parcel could turn out to produce some very good hunting if you get lucky and get one of those parcels. It's hard to know for certain. If you could lease with an option to buy, you could get an idea of what you are getting yourself into before you commit. Good luck.
Sportsman 700 Twin

The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on. He took a face from the ancient gallery and he walked on down the hall.

Offline grouper sandwich

• Avid Poster
    • http://members.fishingworks.com/groupersandwich/
Size of land for hunting
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2004, 05:37:21 AM »
I have 15 acres in NW Florida that we have killed a total of seven deer off of this year.  It's stuck between two larger parcels of land that have fantastic deer habitat, one hunted, one not.  We make sure that they stay fed year round with corn and food plots and they make sure to make our land a regular stop.  50-80 acres would be great!

Offline BRL

• A Real Regular
    • Premium Nutrition
Size of land for hunting
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 04:15:21 PM »
Great info guys. Thanks for your replies. I will do some more homework on the parcels I am looking at.
B. Leeber
Nutritional Biochemist

Offline James B

• A Real Regular
Size of land for hunting
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 01:41:47 PM »
I have a 80 acre tract of land but my neighbor lets me hunt his land as well and they have about nine-ten thousand acres. I have never failed to take plenty of deer off my land as it sits between some rough river breaks land and some big wheat fields. I have alfalfa on my flat ground around the tops of my draws. Mine is iin South Dakota.
shot placement is everything.