Author Topic: 41 mag Gas Checks  (Read 781 times)

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
41 mag Gas Checks
« on: August 31, 2011, 05:19:12 PM »
I just got a nice S&W 57 6" in 41 mag.  But I can't find any gas checks.  my mold is a 90335 I can find .416 but no .410. Anybody got any suggestions? I really want to shoot a deer with it and the season just came in too.
Thanks for looking

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 41 mag Gas Checks
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 03:32:06 AM »
Go here:
http://groupbuys.dnsalias.com/login.asp

Get yourself a login name and password, when you are in go to DJ's corner. He has 6K of them in stock now. These are Gator Checks, better than Hornady and a lot cheaper.  Check the heel on your bullet, he specifies what it needs to be for the check to fit.

"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 03:57:38 PM »
I annealed 416 checks and used them without incident. They won't fit all bullets, but they worked for me.

Offline doublegunner

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 04:35:47 PM »
Just cast some 41's and my mold does not take a gas check.  How fast can I run them lubed w/ Alox w/out leading?

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:19:35 PM »
Just cast some 41's and my mold does not take a gas check.  How fast can I run them lubed w/ Alox w/out leading?

Leading is caused by individual circumstances, such as alloy, bullet fit, lube choice, barrel condition, throat sizing, load data, etc. Only experimentation will give you the true answer to your question. There is no standard answer, because there is no average set of circumstances.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 08:26:16 PM »
If you are wondering where to get Gator gas checks and save a lot of money, here are your contacts and a bit of helpful information about the manufacturer.
 Larry Blackmon is the owner, but is a full time eye doc too, so isn't easily available till after 5 evenings, LA time. You can get him by phone then at 1-318-387-7257
 Or, email him at leblackmon@colla.com

" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams