Author Topic: Hey CU Cannon  (Read 1803 times)

Offline rusty barrels

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Hey CU Cannon
« on: September 02, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »
What are the dimensions to your soda can mortar's union bed? Are they to scale?

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
Re: Hey CU Cannon
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 09:41:44 PM »
      I bought the steel tube, Union style, Coehorn Mortar that CU Cannon built about three years ago and fired it last in Montana two weeks ago.  I just measured a few of it’s dimensions tonight.  Hopefully someone with a drawing can figure out if this good looking mortar is built to scale and what scale. 

Tracy

Tube Dims:                                                    Bed Dims:
                                       Bore dia.                     2.685”                         Length                 15.42”     
        Bore L.                            4.5”                             Width                    7.40"                                      O.A.L.                          9.25"                                                   Height                   4.40”
                                                                                                                                   Bead dims (2x)       2.0” x 2.0”
Center reinforce dia.             4.470”                        Radii (2x)               1.50”   
Muzzle reinforce dia..            4.470”                       
Chase dia.                           4.00"                                                                                                                                                                                                      
Chamber to muzzle dist.                                          5.00”
Chamber dia. &  L.                          1.00” x  1.50" L.

Center reinforce L.                2.187"

Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 03:46:50 AM »
Yahoo shut down geocities a while ago, but here's a mirror of CU_Cannon's website. I'm pretty sure this page is the mortar seacoastartillery has: http://www.geocities.ws/cu_cannon/golf-ball-coehorn/golf-ball-coehorn.html

I saved a bunch of his plans he made before geocities shut down, but I'd rather not post them without his permission. I have mortar plans with a bore of 4.62" and one at 2.625".

Offline seacoastartillery

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • seacoastartillery.com
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:15:37 AM »
     Jeff,  I don't think it's the same one shown in the mirror site.  I measured the Largest tube O.D. at 4.470" and the 'Mirror site has it at 3.875" O.D. and the length is too short to get 9.25" O.A.L. with the addition of a 1.50" dia. Trunnion.  Sure looks VERY similar, but the numbers don't add up.

Rusty wants someone with an official drawing to relate my numbers to it and see if the bed is to some particular scale.

Tracy
Smokin' my pipe on the mountings, sniffin' the mornin'-cool,
I walks in my old brown gaiters along o' my old brown mule,
With seventy gunners be'ind me, an' never a beggar forgets
It's only the pick of the Army that handles the dear little pets - 'Tss! 'Tss!

From the poem  Screw-Guns  by Rudyard Kipling

Offline armorer77

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:32:47 AM »
By the print I have , you are at about 5/8 scale . Ed

Offline rusty barrels

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:37:28 AM »
 Armorer 77 I am thinking about building another bed for the tube you made me for display,  nothing wrong with the one you sent me which was a surprise cause I thought I was just getting the tube.

Offline smokemjoe

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 02:04:54 PM »
Whats the total wt. of it, Nice job, Joe

Offline mooke

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:19:28 PM »
CU Cannon has not been active on this forum since Sept. 2010. I remember being on his site before and would like to see his plans again. Here is a quote from him in Feb. 2005.

I have had several requests for my plans so here they are.  They are in pdf format so they can be scaled up or down without distortion and they print to scale.  If anyone wants it in autocad format let me know.  I will post some drawings of my base once I get it done. 

http://www.geocities.com/jeanluc83/cannon/Golf-Ball-Coehorn.pdf

Do what ever you want with the plans.  Make copies give them to your friends as long as you don't directly sell the plans it doesn't bother me any.  The only thing I ask is if you build a mortar from my plans send me a picture of it or post one on the board.

Offline The Jeff

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 03:34:37 AM »
Oh wow, I completely missed where he said it would be ok to distribute his plans. Since that's the case, linked below are all the CU_Cannon plans that I saved.

12 Pounder Coehorn 1 2 3
Beer Can Mortar 1 2 3
Golfball Mortar Contest 1
Golf Ball Mortar 1
Boat Howitzer 1

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 04:15:18 AM »
Someone show me the  post where  CU said it is okay share his drawings

Offline mooke

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 05:06:17 AM »

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 05:16:54 AM »
I have had several requests for my plans so here they are.  They are in pdf format so they can be scaled up or down without distortion and they print to scale.  If anyone wants it in autocad format let me know.  I will post some drawings of my base once I get it done. 

http://www.geocities.com/jeanluc83/cannon/Golf-Ball-Coehorn.pdf

Do what ever you want with the plans.  Make copies give them to your friends as long as you don't directly sell the plans it doesn't bother me any.  The only thing I ask is if you build a mortar from my plans send me a picture of it or post one on the board.

DMCA now covered.

Offline mooke

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 05:42:06 AM »
Thanks Double D and The Jeff. I need to learn to do it right I guess.
Does anyone remember if he had Handgonne plans. I had some and all CU Cannon plans but through a couple formats and new computers I lost them.
Dave

Offline Double D

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 05:56:19 AM »
Does anyone know what became of Cu_Cannon?  He hasn't visited here in over a year and that is ominous.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 07:33:42 AM »
delete

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 12:47:24 PM »
Does anyone remember if he had Handgonne plans.

Don't remember but here is one I built and I will attach another if I can find it.

Tannenberg plans and pic

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill