Author Topic: Trail Camera Thefts?  (Read 2298 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Trail Camera Thefts?
« on: September 02, 2011, 01:46:32 PM »
With Deer Season fast aproaching many of us are putting out trail cameras and worrying about theives.  After much thought on making steel cages and anti-theft devices I simply came up with this solution....I had my wife print out labels saying," Warning! This camera just sent your picture to my computer and it has an ati-theft tracking chip installed! " Stuck them on all our cameras and not had a problem since, even when placing cameras on public land. Even if theives aren't sure not many will take the risk. Labels seem to work pretty well. I put Video Surveilence labels on all of my homes windows and doors and our's is one of the few homes in our area that has not been broken into. Of course I actualy do have cameras installed but a thief has no way of knowing if you do or not. :)  For those too stupid to read I have a Boxer that thinks strangers are chew toys and I've a loaded pistol in every room! I'm thief intollerant!  ;)

Offline Foggy

• Trade Count: (40)
  • A Real Regular
  • If you die first we're going to split up your gear
Re: Trail Camera Thefts?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 02:18:30 PM »
I think I would have kept that info to my self.. but that's just me
Foggy

PS darn good idea
Walk softly carry a big stick and never walk away  T.R.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 03:41:43 PM »
Not too worried about it. My name isn't on the cameras and nowadays there are cameras that do just what my labels say. My point is that theives just don't know if they'll get busted or not. Thieves are cowards that look for easy pickings and hate the thought of getting caught.

Offline rdmallory

• Trade Count: (11)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »
If you want to find the guy taking them mount another one or two well hidden facing one out in the open.
Like they do with those red light cameras. He don't get all three you got him.

Doug

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
On the other hand, if you find someones camera near where you want to hunt, put on a bigfoot costume, walk directly to the camera, stare directly into the lens and start combing your hair..............
remember the starfish

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 06:50:23 PM »
ive never used cams yet. nuttin agin those that do tho.i got buddys that use them and they dont shoot any more or bigger deer than i do.so far i just cant justify spending what could buy me a new rifle for a good cam.i think spirit hawk has the best idea ive heard for preventing theft. i always thought if i got sum cams id take a ladder and put them high enuf in a tree it would be a real pain for the thieves to get.aimed correctly of course.

Offline Sourdough

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 08:45:31 PM »
Grizzlies can't read, and they don't care anyway.  They love to chew trail cams, ask KP.  They sure chewed on his.  They don['t steal them, they just chew them good.  If you try and put them higher than a Grizzly can reach, your too high to see the bait.  That's the only time we use trail cams up here.  Over bait.

As for the notice about taking pictures at your home and e-mailing the photos, I know several guys here that have those systems.  Of course burglaries are not big here anyway.  Like someone said burglars are cowards anyway, and almost everyone here has a gun or two in their home, and knows how to use them.  Right down to our kids, are shooters.

The wife complains that the .45 auto I keep under the pillow is too heavy.  I tell her, "It's reliable, and does the double tap real good".     
Where is old Joe when we really need him?  Alaska Independence    Calling Illegal Immigrants "Undocumented Aliens" is like calling Drug Dealers "Unlicensed Pharmacists"
What Is A Veteran?
A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today who no longer understand that fact.

Offline spruce

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 03:16:54 AM »
The labels will surely deter some, but not all.  Anytime something of value is left unattended in an area open to the public there's a real chance it will "come up missing".  Try leaving your cam on the hood of your car in the mall parking lot for a few days and see if it's still there when you come back!

As a group, outdoorsmen are honest, respectful individuals and most will leave your camera undisturbed and just find a different area to hunt.  Unfortunately there is a very small percentage who just can't resist the temptation when presented with an easy opportunity to steal.

BTW, anyone else get an eerie feeling when you suddenly find yourself in front of a trail cam while walking thru the woods!!?

Offline Lost Farmboy

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 04:08:56 AM »
Grizzlies can't read, and they don't care anyway.  They love to chew trail cams, ask KP.  They sure chewed on his.  They don['t steal them, they just chew them good.  If you try and put them higher than a Grizzly can reach, your too high to see the bait.  That's the only time we use trail cams up here.  Over bait.

Those cameras need some HOT SAUCE!!! It works on squirrels eating my veges.  ;D
A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.   John F. Kennedy

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under" -Ronald Reagan

“So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause.”  Padme Amidala

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 06:49:09 AM »
As a rule/Generally---I say hogwash.
There are far too many hunters who don't respect boundaries.
This is one of the reasons I stopped hunting.
I have had hunters put up blinds on the property corners, giving them clear view and shots on other property than they own or lease.
I have found hunters wandering to stands well off their property--just got lost---hogwash.
Found discarded cans where they set up a ground stand in our pastures.
Folks---hunters are people and they get by with what they think they can--if you let 'em.
Some are honest----A lot are just buck snorters who think they can do whatever they want.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50:27 AM »
You could always disguise them as claymore mines ;) .
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline bkraft

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
Better yet disguise the claymore as the camera ;)
Knowledge is Power, the more you know the more you know.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 05:04:13 PM »
You should see what happens to a trail cam when a 55gr. Vmax out of a 22-250 hits it. :o  I guess you could say I'm not a big fan of 'em.

Spanky

Offline OleFreak

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:53:31 PM »
I just give’um a smile and start pickin my nose.

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 03:03:04 AM »
As a rule/Generally---I say hogwash.
There are far too many hunters who don't respect boundaries.
This is one of the reasons I stopped hunting.
I have had hunters put up blinds on the property corners, giving them clear view and shots on other property than they own or lease.
I have found hunters wandering to stands well off their property--just got lost---hogwash.
Found discarded cans where they set up a ground stand in our pastures.
Folks---hunters are people and they get by with what they think they can--if you let 'em.
Some are honest----A lot are just buck snorters who think they can do whatever they want.
Blessings

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you here. At least where I'm from, it is the rare exception & not the norm. As a rule, we would never think of trespassing on another's property without permission, none of us drinks, and we carry out what we've carried in. The general rule for farms here is if the gate was open, leave it open. If it's closed, close it behind you. Hunt ethically (which means don't keep shooting deer and hiding them without using the tag in your pocket). If you shoot a deer, you tag it! And then you're done hunting.
There are a small few here who will stock up on beer for deer camp. I sure as hell wouldn't hunt with them, and I'd never (as a farmer) invite them on my land. Alcohol and firearms is just a bad idea!
I've also met the occasional person who will buy a tag for every member of his family, even though he's the only one who hunts. Sometimes it's a gluttonous ass who just likes to kill. Sometimes it is a very poor person who takes the opportunity to fill his family's freezer with meat for them to live on.  hat person is usually just killing does anyway. It may be wrong, but I turn a blind eye & let him feed his family.
It's true, there are unethical hunters and just plain idiots out there. But I like to believe it is a small minority. The vast majority are good & decent. Some farmers have a bad experience and decide to never let anyone on their property again. They are well within their rights, but I find that, if you meet the right group of hunters, you'll find them a blessing and not a curse. They will help you, improve your land, help keep the riff-raff out, and even become good friends you look forward to seeing.

Offline digs68

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 03:11:01 AM »
As far as trail cams go, I'd never steal another's unless it was on my property. Then I tell them to come and get it, and explain to me why you were trespassing on my property to begin with.
I like to collect arrowheads, and have occasionally run across game cameras on other properties. I leave them be. They have permission to hunt the deer, I have permission to hunt the rocks.
I would never damage another person's camera if they have permission to have it there, or are on public ground. That's just stupidity.

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 09:53:16 AM »
I had an individual trespass on my property several years ago; it was a week-day when I rarely went out to the place.  I got the afternoon off, called a friend and we went out about 2:30 that afternoon.  I put him in a blind and was driving over to my blind.  I had to cross a deep dry creek and then drive across a big field to get to the blind.  As I crossed the creek I could see the blind and noticed the door was open, as I drove closer I seen a person getting out and running towards the dry creek bed.  I pulled up, stopped, and hollered at him, he turned and fired in my direction; I rolled out of the truck, hit the ground and placed the crosshairs of my 25-06 between his shoulder blades.  I didn’t shoot.  I remembered seeing a beige Toyota pick-up along the fence line at a place where a vehicle would not normally be parked; I got back in my truck and drove back to that spot.  I hid my truck in some cedars and waited.  After about an hour the guy came out walking towards the truck, I stepped out with my pistol and told him to stop.  I asked, “Who are you and what are you doing on my property.”  He answered, “None of your business.”  I popped off a round near his feet and told him to lay his gun down and that he had better start answering questions quick or the next on would be in his direction.  He lay his gun down gave me his drivers license, I turned my back for a piece of paper to write on and he took off running in the opposite direction.  I crossed the fence, put a knife to the sidewalls of all four tires then drove back and picked my buddy up.  We had to drive about five miles to reach a place with a phone where I called the Game Warden; he couldn’t come but sent a deputy sheriff. When the deputy arrived I knew him.  I explained what happened.  He said “show me where the truck is; I drove back with him following.  When we got there the trespasser was at the truck mad as a wet hen, after some questioning he admitted he was on the property deer hunting.  He was arrests and charges with trespassing with the intent of poaching.  That was a $2000. fine.  The deputy also called for a wrecker to haul the truck back to an impound lot, that cost him an additional $1500.  I think we made a believer out of him.

I had a crazy neighbor who often drank a little too much, one afternoon he caught a trespasser on his property, he pulled his gun, disarmed the guy and then chained him to a tree.  He took the guys wallet and went back to town.  When he went through the wallet he found the guy was a Captain, C-130 pilot from the local airbase.  He call the base, got the Wing Commander and told him I have one of your men chained to a tree you will have to come and get him yourself if you want him back.  The Commander calls the local law enforcement folks who went to the neighbor’s house and questioned him.  He gave them the story and said he wanted the individual arrested for trespassing.  He took the cops back out to his place and to the tree where the guys was chained.  After some discussion the guy wanted to press charges against my friend for kidnapping.  To solve the stalemate they both agreed to drop the charges.  I know my friend would likely chain another one up if he caught them but I’d bet the Captain doesn’t go back.

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
I had an individual trespass on my property several years ago; it was a week-day when I rarely went out to the place.  I got the afternoon off, called a friend and we went out about 2:30 that afternoon.  I put him in a blind and was driving over to my blind.  I had to cross a deep dry creek and then drive across a big field to get to the blind.  As I crossed the creek I could see the blind and noticed the door was open, as I drove closer I seen a person getting out and running towards the dry creek bed.  I pulled up, stopped, and hollered at him, he turned and fired in my direction; I rolled out of the truck, hit the ground and placed the crosshairs of my 25-06 between his shoulder blades.  I didn’t shoot.  I remembered seeing a beige Toyota pick-up along the fence line at a place where a vehicle would not normally be parked; I got back in my truck and drove back to that spot.  I hid my truck in some cedars and waited.  After about an hour the guy came out walking towards the truck, I stepped out with my pistol and told him to stop.  I asked, “Who are you and what are you doing on my property.”  He answered, “None of your business.”  I popped off a round near his feet and told him to lay his gun down and that he had better start answering questions quick or the next on would be in his direction.  He lay his gun down gave me his drivers license, I turned my back for a piece of paper to write on and he took off running in the opposite direction.  I crossed the fence, put a knife to the sidewalls of all four tires then drove back and picked my buddy up.  We had to drive about five miles to reach a place with a phone where I called the Game Warden; he couldn’t come but sent a deputy sheriff. When the deputy arrived I knew him.  I explained what happened.  He said “show me where the truck is; I drove back with him following.  When we got there the trespasser was at the truck mad as a wet hen, after some questioning he admitted he was on the property deer hunting.  He was arrests and charges with trespassing with the intent of poaching.  That was a $2000. fine.  The deputy also called for a wrecker to haul the truck back to an impound lot, that cost him an additional $1500.  I think we made a believer out of him.

I had a crazy neighbor who often drank a little too much, one afternoon he caught a trespasser on his property, he pulled his gun, disarmed the guy and then chained him to a tree.  He took the guys wallet and went back to town.  When he went through the wallet he found the guy was a Captain, C-130 pilot from the local airbase.  He call the base, got the Wing Commander and told him I have one of your men chained to a tree you will have to come and get him yourself if you want him back.  The Commander calls the local law enforcement folks who went to the neighbor’s house and questioned him.  He gave them the story and said he wanted the individual arrested for trespassing.  He took the cops back out to his place and to the tree where the guys was chained.  After some discussion the guy wanted to press charges against my friend for kidnapping.  To solve the stalemate they both agreed to drop the charges.  I know my friend would likely chain another one up if he caught them but I’d bet the Captain doesn’t go back.

Did you let the deputy know the guy fired a shot at you? That's attempted murder!

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 01:28:18 PM »

Yeah and I remember this one time my second cousin's neighbor's best friend chained a 3 star general to a fence post... then he called the President of the United States and... blah blah blah. ::)
No offense but I'm gonna go ahead and call BS on this story. ;)

Spanky

Offline Spirithawk

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:53 PM »
A few years back my son and I had a problem with our tree stands being stolen. We bow hunt 40 acres just outside city limits. There was a hotel on the next property and the manager was anti-huntin. We had many problems with him and pretty much knew he was the culprit. We hid two trail cams facing a new ladder stand and within a couple days the stand had been stolen. He had to cut it in pieces to steal it, Yep, we got his sorry butt in living 35mm color doing the deed! When confronted he denied even setting foot on the property, that is untill the police officer showed him the pics! The look on the guy's face was priceless! We got him for theft, vandalism, tresspassing, and interfearing with a legal hunt! Besides just paterning deer, trail cams cam be quite usefull. :)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 07:20:54 AM »
Messing with someone else's deer stand is a no no.

Spanky

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:22 AM »
Unbelievable.  Well, sort of.  None of this, deer hunting, trail cameras, tree stands, etc., is worth DYING for.

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 05:12:32 PM »

BTW, anyone else get an eerie feeling when you suddenly find yourself in front of a trail cam while walking thru the woods!!?

Yeah espaecially if they are on land I hunt because I don't use them!
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga