Author Topic: Old 12guage H&R Topper  (Read 556 times)

Offline casper_zip

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Contributor
Old 12guage H&R Topper
« on: September 03, 2011, 11:48:01 AM »
Hey there:

I have this old gun, good shape, except rear stock is loose, needs tightened. I took plate off butt, and looked in, and it looks like a "stove" bolt for the stock bolt. No nut and/or slot for a screwdriver to get this off. Anyone ever run into this ? I don't have any other ideas, may just have to drill and tap, or drill and use a large screw extractor to back it off and loose. This is a mystery to me, never seen anything like this before on a butt stock.

Please help if you can.

Thanks and all the best,

casper_zip

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Old 12guage H&R Topper
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:40:04 PM »
Ya just gotta try a 9/16" socket on an extension or a big flat blade screwdriver; sometimes what you think you see down there isnt really what it is. (tip, if you try the screwdriver, split and slip a piece of rubber tubing over the shank to help keep it centered in there).
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 02:47:37 PM »
is it possible, and id have to take the stock off mine to see if there was room,that sumone stripped the threads in the action and put a longer bolt with a nut on the upper side?

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
is it possible, and id have to take the stock off mine to see if there was room,that sumone stripped the threads in the action and put a longer bolt with a nut on the upper side?

Unless they made some major mods. I don't think it possible.  A too long bolt will lock things up by itself.

I'm thinkin' this has to have a hex or slot as someone has mentioned, perhaps just not readily visible due to dust or such....

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline hillbill

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »

Unless they made some major mods. I don't think it possible.  A too long bolt will lock things up by itself.

I'm thinkin' this has to have a hex or slot as someone has mentioned, perhaps just not readily visible due to dust or such....

Ben
yur prob correct, been a ton of years since i been into one of them.