Author Topic: 850 miles  (Read 945 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
850 miles
« on: September 04, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »
  Well, the other day the wife and I took a little trip. It was 850 miles to be exact. We made this trip to pick up this interesting little toy shown below. I have personally never seen a Brown on a field carriage but, I guess it does exist.

Now, I am on the hunt for some 3ga. shells for this. Plus, I need a little advice from our wood experts out there (Zulu or lendi). The wood on this is a bit on the dry side and with it being in the desert I would like to preserve this but, not affect the original finish. Any ideas guys?

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 850 miles
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 02:04:21 PM »
First thing I would do would be to put some pavers beneath the wheels and the trail to lessen moisture entering the wood.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »
First thing I would do would be to put some pavers beneath the wheels and the trail to lessen moisture entering the wood.

GGaskill,

:) :) This cannon will not be stored outside. It will be part of the household decorations.  ;D ;D

Offline Zulu

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
intoodeep,
It looks like the wood is raw.  If that is the case, you could coat it with raw linseed oil.  Wipe off all the excess and it will look good.  Sand it first for best results.   If you want a sheen, you could put two coats of polyurethene on it.  I would use "satin" if I was doing it instead of gloss.
Nice gun.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Online Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »
In restoring the dried out guns from Nepal I have using Kramers antique restorer with very good results.

http://www.kramerize.com/why_different.htm

Before:

After:

Offline 1Southpaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • Let Freedom ring
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 07:19:39 PM »
Boiled LSO (lin seed oil )    turpentine in a 50 -50 mix makes an excellent sealer finish . Wife uses it on our door and window sills .   
Left Handed people are in their right mind .

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:35:55 AM »
intodeep,
great looking cannon.  on my carriages i use a mixture of 4 parts each of boiled linseed oil and gum turpentine, 1 part of japan drier and one part of pine tar.  i warm the mixture up and brush generously.  if it gets absorbed in apply more.  wipe off after several hours, and keep wiping as it comes to the surface.  after a few days start to apply a thin coat with a cloth as many as you have time for.  need to let it dry in between coats.  last but not least a coat of paste wax.  raw linseed oil will turn dark with age.
for 3g hulls check with the new owners of rbg cannons i know that they had some

lendi

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 06:40:58 AM »
intoodeep,

I don't usually have green eyes, but they're green now, and the envy isn't being caused by that short legged furry thing either. :D  That Brown is definitely something I would be overjoyed to own; congratulations!

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Online Double D

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 06:44:14 AM »
By the way you should drag that thing up I-15 in two years..

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 06:52:35 AM »
delete

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 02:39:52 PM »
Thanks to everyone for their input. I now have a few things to think about and try on the wood.

DD,
 I assume you cleaned that stock of yours before treating it. If so, what did you use to clean it?

lendi,
 I have sent you a PM regarding the hulls.

Online Double D

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:21 PM »

DD,
 I assume you cleaned that stock of yours before treating it. If so, what did you use to clean it?

I used the Kramer's clarifier to clean,  then used the Antique restorer to finish.  Here is a link: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?122451-Kramers-Antique-restorer&highlight=kramer%27s

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
intoodeep,

You've probably read the "10 gauge cannon? Can someone school me?" thread Started by DukeInMaine already. I'll be frank, I've always just assumed (maybe wrongly) that all signal cannon had straight uninterupted diameter bores, from the Strong, Brown, Snow etc. guns of the early 1900's, all the way up to comtemporary models made by companies such as Beaufort Naval Armorers. Does the bore of your newly acquired Brown 3 Ga. show the same diameter at the breech as it does at the muzzle, and is the diam. measurement uniform all the way down the bore?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 10:20:34 AM »
Cannoneer,

I have a few different signal guns. The Brown, BNA and Winchester all have a chamber area that is slightly larger then the bore. The increase in the chamber diameter is about the same as the wall thickness of the shell. Hope this makes sense. I can give more detail if needed later as, typing on this phone is not much fun....

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:21:00 AM »
delete

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 02:08:59 PM »
Cannoneer,

Here are a couple of photos that should show you what you were inquiring about. The first one is a BNA 10ga. The second is the Brown 3 Ga.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
intoodeep,

Thanks for clearing the chamber question up for me. My 10 gauge signal gun is a one-off made by an individual machinist, and there's no chamber, so I just assumed that was the norm.

Added: Thanks for posting the pics Ed, I just viewed them; now I'm going to gird my loins and wait for someone to inform me that mine's probably unsafe. ;)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »

My 10 gauge signal gun is a one-off made by an individual machinist, and there's no chamber, so I just assumed that was the norm.

Cannoneer,

I have one of those types too. It has a threaded breech and straight bore. It's safe to fire if you have enough meat on it.

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
The advice you've received about the wood is good, but I thought I'd add this nugget that I picked up from an old Birmingham gunsmith:
The traditional rule for boiled linseed oil is to apply...
Once a day for a week
Once a week for a month
Once a month for a year
Once a year thereafter.

You can probably skip a lot of that, but the point is that you should apply it regularly over a long period of time to get a really good finish/protection.
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 07:36:34 AM »
intoodeep,
It looks like the wood is raw.  If that is the case, you could coat it with raw linseed oil.  Wipe off all the excess and it will look good.  Sand it first for best results.   If you want a sheen, you could put two coats of polyurethene on it.  I would use "satin" if I was doing it instead of gloss.
Nice gun.
Zulu

When I said "raw" linseed oil in this post, I have no idea what I was thinking about.  Of course it is "boiled".  It can really leave a nice finish.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com