Author Topic: 223 die question for black rifle  (Read 680 times)

Offline wileynet

• Trade Count: (30)
  • Contributor
223 die question for black rifle
« on: September 05, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »
just acquired a handi in 223, but have a black rifle on lay away will regular dies reload for both or does the semi auto require SB dies, never reloaded for a semi auto before only single shot handis
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: 223 die question for black rifle
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
I would believe that you could get by with just the one set of dies.  I have loaded for my buddies AR and used Lee dies.  Never had an issue.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline DANNY-L

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (63)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
They'll work just fine,I have rcbs and never even came close to having an isue with the standard fl die's.

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
You can try the standard FLSD and chamber check to make sure they function in your rifle. They may work ok in one AR and not chamber in another. The safe way to go is to invest in a SB sizing die to use for your AR loading. They are not expensive and will save you a lot of grief down the road if you choose to use your reloads in more than one AR. Especially true if you're using range brass. The #1 requirement I have for my ammo in that it must function in any AR I might choose to run them in. I have friends who have learned this the hard way.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Savage

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Funny thing, just looking through a gun magazine and ran across an RCBS add. They were advertising a die set for ARs. It's a two die set consisting of a Small Base sizing die and a taper crimp seating/ crimping die. They call the die set "AR Dies". So to answer the question asked in this thread, RCBS thinks you need a SB sizing die for loading AR ammo.
Savage                                       

Offline Old Syko

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »
RCBS thinks you need a SB sizing die for loading AR ammo.
Savage                                       

I guess RCBS can hawk any sort of product they would like, any way they see fit but there are those of us who have gone through hundreds of thousands of rounds without the benefit of small base dies without a hiccup who know it isn't necessary.  Standard sizers have always done fine.  For the last few years most of my brass has been SAW fired.  Not much out there harder on brass than that, and it still functions just fine in my AR's when I use standard dies.

Offline Savage

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »
RCBS thinks you need a SB sizing die for loading AR ammo.
Savage                                       

I guess RCBS can hawk any sort of product they would like, any way they see fit but there are those of us who have gone through hundreds of thousands of rounds without the benefit of small base dies without a hiccup who know it isn't necessary.  Standard sizers have always done fine.  For the last few years most of my brass has been SAW fired.  Not much out there harder on brass than that, and it still functions just fine in my AR's when I use standard dies.

Hey, if it works don't change it. Your experience has been different from mine.
Savage

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:56:30 AM »
now i thinking maybe a FL die set for Black Rifle and and adding a collet die for the handi
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson

Huntsman 58,NEF 45/70 manlicher stock, H&R 308, 30-06, 12 ga, 20 ga, H&R 223, H&R 204 varmiter,H&R 243, H&R 44mag, SMLE No 1 MKIV,SMLE No4 MK1, Savage 110 7mm, Ruger BH 45LC, Security Six, SR9, S&W 22a, CVA MTN Rifle, Optima

Offline topper88

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 06:39:27 AM »
That's exactly what I do, a Lee full length size die with the dead length seater and a FCD for my sons AR and the Collet die after I fire form in my Handi then dead length seater and FCD.

One interesting twist I do is replace the easy x decapping pin with a standard decap pin from the universal decapping die. Then you do not re-expand the neck when you size.  I use the M die from Lyman to do that.  I learned that with the thick, military cases for the AR's that I was stretching the brass pulling the easy x neck sizer through.  The Lyman M die is much more case friendly and the length stays the same or even shrinks a thousandth. Try it.

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 08:02:35 AM »
now i thinking maybe a FL die set for Black Rifle and and adding a collet die for the handi

Probably a good choice.  I full length for all ARs and neck size for the bolt guns and Contender.  The Lee FCD is also good for the AR ammo but your Handi shouldn't use any crimp at all.  Redding offers a neck die that can also take care of shoulder set back, practically eliminating the need for the occasional full length sizing in bolt and break down guns.

Offline Larry Gibson

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »
Unless the AR has a tight match chamber the SB die is not deeded with milspec chambers.  Suggest the regular RCBS X-die for FL sizing for both as you will not have to trim cases and will get excellent case life in the AR.  +1 on the collet or NS die for the Handy rifle.

Larry Gibson

Offline wileynet

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 07:53:07 PM »
the AR is 5.56 X 45 compatible any one know if the handi is other than velocity whats the difference

Offline Old Syko

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 02:33:37 AM »

Wiley this is a subject that has been beaten to death.  Either do a search on this site or use the link below.

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1_____enUS440US440&aq=0&oq=difference+between+5.56+&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=difference+between+5.56+and+.223

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:24 AM »
Small base dies are good insurance against that one round that might fail to chamber at a really bad time. The use of mixed brass and multiple rifles greatly increases the odds of such an occurrence, as do dirty chambers from high volume firing. Most die manufacturers offer SB sizing dies for rifle calibers that might be used in auto loading rifles. I started out loading for auto loaders many years ago with standard FL sizing dies. My experiences have demonstrated to my satisfaction the need for the SB dies in these applications. The experiences of my fellow shooters has reenforced my choices. My advice to those who choose to use standard sizers for auto loaders, adjust the sizing die to cam over at the end of the stroke, and use a chamber gauge to check loaded rounds. Eventually these steps will save you grief. None of this is conjecture, it's based on first hand experience and observations over 50 + years of shooting and reloading. I have learned not to gamble with my match and business ammo. It's an individual choice. Enjoy your AR!
Savage