Author Topic: New to forum. Please help identify.  (Read 971 times)

Offline nicksw81

• Trade Count: (0)
New to forum. Please help identify.
« on: September 06, 2011, 01:58:09 PM »
Hello all I just picked up my first cannon from a friend and would like to know a little more about it, if possible.  I don't know the lingo but total length 22 inches bore depth 17 inches bore width 1.69 (golf ball i think) width 3.5 inches, and trunnions are 1.5 inches. cannon carriage and 10 lbs goex cannon grade $400 no tools.  I am going to weld a lifter spring to a washer to bolt to a dowel for a worm.  Will be using paint rollers for mops and 1.5 inch walnut head on dowel for ram. i will also eventually want to build a nice carriage to match.  So if you guys would be so kind i would love to know how i should describe my tiny cannon.   Thanks Nick

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: New to forum. Please help identify.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
First welcome to the Forum!
Your cannon looks like it is based on cannon made in the 1830's to 50's with 10 pounds of powder you did well as to price....
Well I think I can tell you what it is not.... it was not made by Southbend or Lapan foundries, it is not a Hern Iron Works / Dixie gunworks tube..... I don't recognize it as to who made it, it may be a turned steel barrel rather than a casting, if it is a casting does it have a steel liner?

Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline nicksw81

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:16:08 PM »
It is turned steel without a liner and there are no marks anywhere.  I know it isn't old but when i am talking to people i want to be able to say  This is my ?? scale model repo of a ?? type cannon from approx ?? date. Any help is appreciated.

Offline RocklockI

• GBO Supporter
  • Morko and Me
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:29:43 PM »
That is what is refered to as a 'Naval Cannon' by the Cannon Mania site . I used to look at them and they looked good to me .

I just hit my favorites and they seem to be out of bussines ,....with many complains listed .

Gary
"I've seen too much not to stay in touch , With a world full of love and luck, I got a big suspicion 'bout ammunition I never forget to duck" J.B.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 04:49:00 PM »
My research led me back to an extensive list of complaints against the business practices of CM...   CM did not make the barrels in house & I believe the cannon was produced by a vendor.   If it's a good barrel, and it appears to be, then you are golden.   Nice find. 

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 05:13:29 PM »
Cannon-mania change there name and moved to  Georgia.  Cannoner, found them again...John do you recall their new name?

Offline Rayfan87

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 05:30:20 PM »
Flash 60 llc. Same scam, new name.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:53:40 PM »
nicksw81,

RocklockI is correct. Your cannon was sold thru Cannon-Mania I remember considering one at one time. I was never able to find out who actually made them. It looks like you did well with your purchase.

Not to change the subject but, since CM was brought up. I saw the owner on Auction Kings last week with a Winchester 10ga.
If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline nicksw81

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
What scale would this be considered like 1/4 scale 24lb naval cannon or something like that?  I am appreciative of any and all in I have and will receive.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 06:00:51 PM »
It seems to me like a fantasy barrel that is reminiscent of some naval type gun.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 06:13:02 PM »
I think they just called it a Golf Ball Naval Cannon. It kinda has a style of it's own. I would think it was considered a 1/3 scale.

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 06:30:47 PM »
The repro 24 pounders that were/are on the Constitution kinda look like that, although they look much more like this:

A full size one is 10 feet long so that one would be between 1/5 scale and 1/6 scale.  If golf ball bore, it is overbored for scale.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 08:29:32 PM »
Hello nicksw81,

I agree with the opinions of Zulu and intoodeep; I don't think that your gun was actually modeled after an existing historic cannon, but rather it was meant by the maker to represent a general form of naval gun from the muzzleloading era.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 02:52:31 AM »
Is there a reduced powder chamber?  If the dimensions of 1.69" bore and 3.5" OD are correct, I hope it has a reduced chamber.  If not, it strikes me as a little "thin".

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
delete

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 12:58:49 PM »
If the whole barrel is turned steel, is it not considered as if it is a "liner"?
Not sure.  As I see people turning tubes from basic 1018, seems like the trend is at or very near to the 3X rule.

Offline KABAR2

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
There should be more than enough steel there and at 70,000 psi more than enough to handle normal loads....
Take a look at this thread on distructive testing:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,182123.0.html
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2011, 03:08:31 PM »
As long as you stick to golf balls and don't get carried away with the powder, you should be OK.  Should you move up to Fox balls, you will have to be even more conservative with the powder.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2011, 04:39:15 PM »
There should be more than enough steel there and at 70,000 psi more than enough to handle normal loads....
Take a look at this thread on distructive testing:
http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,182123.0.html
Very interesting thread.  Which then leads me to the question, why do I see so much talk of strict adhearance to the 3X rule even with modern steel tubes?

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2011, 10:14:59 PM »
Speaking only for myself, since I have no control over the details of someone else's build or future use, I think it prudent to recommend this standard when someone asks.  If they have the engineering experience and machining skills to do their own engineering analysis, they are welcome to build to their own standard.  But I will not do engineering for them for free (besides, I am a computer programmer and an engineering dropout.)
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

• SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 05:54:39 AM »

Very interesting thread.  Which then leads me to the question, why do I see so much talk of strict adhearance to the 3X rule even with modern steel tubes?

There is no reason whats so ever to stick to the standards, as long as you have the skills and knowledge do otherwise.

But why not build to the standard, what really is to be gained by not building to the standard?

Think of the future.  We like to say here don't build for how you will shoot the gun, but how the next guy will shoot the gun.

I got slapped in the face with reality this year with the death of my wife.  Totally unexpected, no warning, a total shock.  If I had been the one to go instead of her what would have happened to the cannons I have.  Who would get them and how will they shoot them? I wouldn't have been around to guide them.

I know my cannons are over built.  I have a clear conscious, and am not worried about any cannon I ever built  failing because of ignoring safety guidelines.  Or worse yet someone saying my cannon failed because it wasn't built to standards and suing my family for it.. 

Offline Mike H.

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »
There is no reason whats so ever to stick to the standards, as long as you have the skills and knowledge do otherwise.

But why not build to the standard, what really is to be gained by not building to the standard?

Think of the future.  We like to say here don't build for how you will shoot the gun, but how the next guy will shoot the gun.

I got slapped in the face with reality this year with the death of my wife.  Totally unexpected, no warning, a total shock.  If I had been the one to go instead of her what would have happened to the cannons I have.  Who would get them and how will they shoot them? I wouldn't have been around to guide them.

I know my cannons are over built.  I have a clear conscious, and am not worried about any cannon I ever built  failing because of ignoring safety guidelines.  Or worse yet someone saying my cannon failed because it wasn't built to standards and suing my family for it..

DD, I agree with you.  I was not questioning why have the 3X rule.  I had questioned in reply #13 and #15 the wall thickness, in this case about 54% of bore.  My response that you quoted above was in response to the ones I got to my #13 and #15, questioning why deviate from from the 3X.

I wholeheartedly agree with overbuilding.  I overdesign things professionally, and I overbuild my home projects.  I even recite the 3X rule in my eBay listings for small mortars to educate people (which probably ticks the folks off on there that don't build to it).  I have no issue with it.

Offline jamesbeat

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »
That's precisely what worries me about using tubing and welds to make barrels.
Sure, you might know to inspect the piece regularly for signs of corrosion, but will the next guy?
He reached out and stroked shiny barrel. "Manuel, once there was a man who held a political make-work job like so many here in this Directorate, shining brass cannon around a courthouse."

"Why would courthouse have cannon?"

"Never mind. He did this for years. It fed him and let him save a bit, but he was not getting ahead in the world. So one day he quit his job, drew out his savings, bought a brass cannon--and went into business for himself."

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein