Author Topic: CHOOSING POWDER  (Read 895 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
CHOOSING POWDER
« on: September 07, 2011, 01:37:25 AM »
OK, I am going into a new phase of my reloading---addin two new loads for the .41 mag and .357 mag. I am trying to come to terms with a universal powder for it, the .45acp, 9x23 & .38 super.
It doesn't make any difference what I have been useing before.
I am not goin for hot loads or mild loads---been thru that & am not wanting to bang it up or cut recoil----just a good moderate universal powder that is fairly clean.
I have been using W231 for the ACP but I really want to get a good powder for all.
This may be asking for a lot, I know, but I would like to give it a shot.
I have used a lot of Vhita Vouri in the past. I would like to get away from it because of some amount of supply concerns on occasion.
What do you boys suggest.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD

Offline zoner

• Trade Count: (53)
Re: CHOOSING POWDER
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 03:28:10 AM »
i would go with 231 or Unique if i was tryin to do what you're thinking about....Mike

Offline us920669

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »
Unique has always been good to me.  I've also been a big booster of V V powders, but I know what you mean.

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43:01 AM »
I have used Unique, but consider it, by comparison, to be a "dirtier" powder with unburned flakes and thicker black residue.  It is easier to clean.

I too am at such a cross-road in choosing a powder that works for multiple handgun calibers, with some similarities to yours [.380acp; .357 mag.; .45acp; .45colt]. 

I found some threads that discussed IMR 700X (a shotgun powder) and Hodgdon Clays, both of which for handguns are fast and "cleaner" burning.  Minimal charges are required, making the powder go a long way.  Charge density is small in small cases so the possibility of throwing a double charge looms large.  The powders are slightly more difficult to clean, but that is a choice.

I took out my reference reloading books and checked on-line sources for powders for each bullet and caliber that I shoot.  After writing all of that down, I compared the similarities.  I found that IMR 4227 has possibilities across most of my rifle and handgun calibers [.223 Rem; .243; .270 Win; .30-30 Win; .357 Mag; and .45 Colt].  Now that was an interesting discovery.  That may be similar for you.

[LATE NOTE] Write down the reference powder source too as you may wish to refer to it in the future.  Trying to find it again can be frustrating.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 06:03:08 PM »
I have a similar problem--I'm thinking that once I use up my can of unique, and my 2 cans of accurate #2, I'm going to try to just use Bullseye--I load for .380, 9mm, .45 acp, .38 special , and .357 mag. I don't know if the bullseye will work all that well in the .357, but it hasn't done too bad in the other calibers for me from time to time. That IMR 4227 sounds interesting, I may have to check it out, perhaps ever buy some to give it a try.

cybin

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »
Bullseye or Unique. Bullseye is one of the most useful yet over looked powders out there for such rounds. It is even great in the .357 magnum with light bullets. My all time favorite 125 JHP load uses a book max load of it with the Hornady 125 JHP. I shot thousands of them before they changed to the XTP design which is an even better bullet than the old one was.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 07:06:20 PM »
Well hate to tell ya,but 296 in the mags and 231 in the other stuff. I have been trying to do what you want for years,but I can't do it well with one powder. I now keep three pistol powders. The two afformentioned and Accurate no. 7 for the pesky 10M/M. In rifles, I'm down to H4895,IMR 4350 and Accurate 5744 for the cast stuff.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 07:34:47 PM »
another vote for Unique. Us old guys have used it for a long time before there were so many choices and it always worked pretty good for most applications.

Offline Blackhawk44

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 08:23:36 PM »
Check your manuals for Blue Dot.  It is my favored .45 ACP, .38 special +P and midrange .357 carbine powder.  Works for every cartridge that you listed.

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 02:06:22 AM »
 I have handgun powders from fast to slow. One I use for most in the center is H Universal. It's sorta like a more modern Unique. I do have Unique, it's a little 'gravely', but does O.K..
NRA, Veteran

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:50 AM »
I didn't even think about the HMR-- ??? ---I did think about the rest---well didn't consider the 231 --it just doesn't seem universal enough---I really don't know why I thought that way--again,  ??? .
Bullseye and Unique were my first thoughts--not a justified thinking, just a thought.
Matter of fact--the more I think the worse my head hurts-- :-[ .
I am not convinced this is a doable thing---or is that a bad thought  :-\ .
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 04:57:10 AM »
I use Green and Blue Dot for my Pistol loads.
I already us them for loading all of my shotguns.
What I really like is that I pick loads where I can not double charge the case.  I have seen too many neat old guns destroyed by a double charge.  Guys trying to get as many loadings out of a pound and something distracts them and they double charge and it is easy to do.  The loads I have if I double it either fills the case or over flows.  So far have not but I like the safety factor.  The same distraction that aloows you to not add powder is the same one that allows you to double.

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:20 AM »
I've been using Bullseye and Unique from almost the beginning.
Have gotten where Unique is about all I use.
Still load a few hot rounds with bullseye though.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Savage

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:48:48 PM »
Man, it's hard to beat Bullseye for an all around pistol powder. I use it and Promo for decent loads in 9mm/.38/.40/.45acp/.44/.45colt. Not the optimum for all calibers and bullet weights, but can load decent loads for all of them.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 10:26:22 PM »
You know, guys, The more I think about this the more foolish I think I am. I am looking thru rose colored glasses.
I think what I am trying to do is not realistic---sounds good----aint the way to go.
What I am trying to do is reload 500 rounds at a time--of the same caliber--do it in less than three hours and produce a product that is good.
It was the squib load that someone else produced that got me into this thinking.
I think what I need to do is get away from the old single stage--get me a 550 or 650 Dillon and go on with life.
I am way over complicating this thing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Land_Owner

• Global Moderator
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (31)
    • Permission Granted - Land Owner
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 11:56:43 PM »
I hear you loud and clear.  I have so many calibers and cases to reload on a marginal single-to-upgraded-progressive-press that would best be handled by a Dillon.  I am not getting any younger and time to do what I want becomes more precious every day.  Perhaps a "Group Purchase"? JK.

Offline bilmac

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 02:02:23 AM »
You don't want to spend time in the loading room? What's the matter you?

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 05:09:44 AM »
i have been using a lot of 231 burns cleaner used to use unique and 2400 no more. 8)

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 06:20:58 AM »
I think it is more fun to burn it than to build it.
My days of experimenting went the way of sex--I have better things to do.
A group purchse would be a good thing--I'm in--why don't you see this thing started and I will support it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline streak

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 06:27:22 AM »

I am way over complicating this thing.
Blessings
[/quote

There is your answer!!
NRA Life time Member
North American Hunting Club
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Handgun Hunters International

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 10:02:02 AM »
We both nailed the answer.  ;D
Me--to my chargrin.  :-[ :o :P
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline noylj

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 06:56:12 PM »
If I had to use ONLY one powder for all those, it would have to be Unique. Since you aren't loading hot, you don't need to worry about the "indifferent" metering of Unique--I never saw any effect on target from the +/- 0.2gn charge weights of Unique. Found 6.0gn Unique was good for just about any bullet and the .45ACP. Have used 6.0gn for many of my 9x19 and .38 Super loads.
I have never tried Universal, but it is supposed to be the death-blow to Unique (haven't seen it yet).
231 is also good, but it doesn't bulk up like Unique.
I might be able to live with AA2, Unique, abd 2400.

Offline noylj

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 07:02:27 PM »
Re: progressive presses
I have tried the Dillons and found I still preferred my Hornady without a case feeder. See prior comments on different thread, but you HAVE to have a case feeder to really enjoy a Dillon.
Right now, I would say if you need a case feeder, get a Super 1050 and be happy. It may be more expensive, but you can load 100 rounds in about 10-15 minutes without trying.
If not a 1051, I would go immediately back to my Hornady L-N-L.
If you know someone with a progressive, see if you can get any hands-on time and decide what you like and don't like about it and then find the press that will make you happy.
Again, make sure you have AA2, Unique, and 2400 on hand...