Author Topic: Strong Firearms  (Read 1466 times)

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Strong Firearms
« on: September 07, 2011, 06:27:21 AM »
Looks like Strong might be making a come back with some new signal cannons. Has anyone here done business with them?

http://www.strongfirearms.com/

If you make it idiot proof, then, someone will make a better idiot.

Offline KABAR2

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Strong Firearms
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:44 AM »
Looks like Mystic Seaport owns the rights to the names which is interesting.... so far most of it is concept drawings.... so it will be interesting to see what the finished product looks like, if they are using modern CNC mills and lathes they should be able to keep high quality and costs down.... price will be the determining factor whether they can make a go of it....
I wouldn't mind having a 21" Strong but on a cone mount.
Mr president I do not cling to either my gun or my Bible.... my gun is holstered on my side so I may carry my Bible and quote from it!

Sed tamen sal petrae LURO VOPO CAN UTRIET sulphuris; et sic facies tonituum et coruscationem si scias artficium

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 07:49:55 AM »
intoodeep,

I've already seen the site, but haven't had any communication with them. I don't really have to enquire to know that the price of one would empty my pockets pretty quickly. ;)

Speaking of empy pockets; there's been talk of the old Cannon Mania store recently, and for a while there he had what looked to be fine reproductions of an old strong signal cannon model for sale. IIRC the price tag was very heavy; do you remember what those were selling for? I do remember that he said that the gifted machinist that was manufacturing them, was selling them exclusively through his store. That gun is not seen on his new site, nor are a lot of the other cannon he used to offer.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 02:51:25 PM »
Cannoneer,

I don't remember CM prices on those but, I think these by Strong are pretty close to CM's price. You could actually get an original for that $$$. I sent you a PM.

Offline lendi

• GBO Sponsor
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 04:05:31 PM »
intoodeep,
didn't get your email about the shells.  i can give you info about the strong site that you posted.  capt ed has my personel email.  drop him a line. 
lendi

Offline intoodeep

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
Lendi,

Thanks, I had sent you a PM. regarding the shells. I'll contact Cpt. Ed.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 05:41:23 PM »
intoodeep,

I've had a crush on this beauty ever since first laying eyes on the photo at the old Cannon Mania site. The 21" Strong shown on the site you've posted is very similar in appearance, but it's a 10 ga. while the original is an 8 Ga. gun.

Photos - Cannon Mania

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline flagman1776

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 03:50:57 AM »
delete

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 01:05:39 AM »

Not that I have that kind of cash laying arround but I am very near this area.  I have been wondering what Marc Lovejoy brings to the table which is NEW.  In perrusing the Strong offerings, it seems that besides the smaller 13" model, he offers other larger designs.

The Cannon Store already offers a Herreshoff cannon.  "In 1967 Herreshoff authorized R. Berkeley George of Madison, Connecticut to continue building the cannons...  and has built over 600 to date..."   16 inch in 10 guage.

flagman1776,

I'm thinking that that is his main intention; not to come up with anything new in the way of design, but rather to offer the new production of old designs from a company whose name still holds a certain mystique for many people.