Author Topic: Old dog/ new trick  (Read 629 times)

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
Old dog/ new trick
« on: September 07, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »
For casters, I have been casting many years now, and I usually dump my molds into a cooling barrel, and of course one always needs to be careful of splash getting on the mold. I was casting 450 gr bullets while ago and had noticed that some of them had dents from landing on one another before completely hard in previous runs so I put a 1 foot square piece of berber carpet on the bottom of the barrel before I filled it with water. Turns out that polyester berber FLOATS, so it rose to the top and was suspended right at the water level. I went ahead and dumped the mold on the carpet anyway. ONE- No splash, the carpet caught the bullet right at the water line, the bullet just submerged about 1/4 inch initially. TWO- The weight of the 2 450 gr bullets slowly tilted the carpet over a period of about 10-15 seconds, and the bullets then rolled off the carpet and sank, the carpet rose back to the top just about the time the next batch was ready to dump. The soft landing and extra time allowed the bullets to harden more and I did not have one dent. The definition of serendipity.
remember the starfish

Offline anachronism

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Old dog/ new trick
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:52 PM »
You can also use sponges, but your way probably works just as well.

Offline calvon

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
Been using a sponge and a five gallon bucket of water in this manner for years. Wife is having some berber carpet installed soon. Will grab a hunk of that and see if it works similar to the sponge.

Offline Bob J

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:58:37 AM »
This sounds like a great idea.....  Will have to give this a try.... ;)