Author Topic: Use 44 data for 45??  (Read 551 times)

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Use 44 data for 45??
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:49:54 AM »
Do you guys think it would be a problem using 44 mag rifle load info for my 45 LC handi? There is lots of load info for 44 mag rifle loads but not so much for the 45. Alot of the 45 info is just cast bullets at low velocity and I want to bump it up a little. I'd like to match or come close to the 44 mag.

Spanky

Offline BIG Dog454

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: Use 44 data for 45??
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:07:41 AM »
There is plenty of information avaliable for the Ruger and TC.  I would use that for newer rifle loads and start with the starting loads.
BD

Offline Couger

• Trade Count: (77)
Is it wise ti use 44 data for 45??
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:09:33 AM »
I'm not a huge 'pistoleer' nor do I shoot many straight walled revolver rounds in the Handi, but I would need more info before answering your Q!?

I've been reloading for over 20-30 years, and would be reluctant to swap data from one round to the other!

Keep in mind the .45C +P  operates at 21-23K units of pressure.  Std .45C around 17,000-19,000 units of pressure.

The full-house .44Mag loads approach 35,000 - 37,000+ units of pressure!

Trying to load a .45 Colt to mimic a 'hot' .45 ACP load would seem much safer, IMO.

But what gun are you planning to use your 'special' .45C loads in?  Is it a modern gun with modern steel and metalurgy?

Why do you need that stout of .45C ammo?  Have you checked Paco Kelly's board?  He praises the +P .45Colt.  But doesn't 'mix' it with the .44Mag!!!

Offline hornady

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:16:33 AM »
I have used some of these loads in the past and found them safe.( Warning ) now he dose state some of these loads are near max and too start out 10% below listed load data.
http://www.reloadammo.com/45cload.htm

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
I'd use data listed for Rugers or TCs before trying this. The older Hodgdon manual,#26 I think, has some interesting loads for silohoutte shooters too. I've put a number of these thru my Ruger with decent success, even the way I shoot(or don't) a handgun. Like others here, I've shied away from using the wrong data for a given shell.

HWD

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 10:20:02 AM »
Even though 'extrapolated' data has been successfully used by some in the past, we cannot, for obvious reasons, promote such activity.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 01:24:09 PM »
Spanky,

Send me a PM with your powder and bullet choices, I have some published 45 Colt rifle data so I might be able to get what you're looking for. Some of the Sierra rifle data that I have is equivalent to 44 mag power.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 04:26:23 PM »
That's not the best idea I've heard. As stated before, try the T/C or Ruger only load if you must, but the pressures otherwise will come to no good... :o
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 03:33:15 PM »
DONT do it Spank!!!!
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 12:08:28 PM »
Here is what happens when you mix and match and want to make a plow horse into a race horse.

Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline 243dave

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »
I wouldn't use 44mag info.  There is lots of info if you look, some of it is loaded beyond 44mag pressures and into 454 pressures.  If your Handi is one with the rifle receiver and not the shotgun receiver it will handle all of the info out there.  Here is a write up from Paco Kelly and it has some loads in it that is the stoutest you will find, his loads are made with cast bullets and not jacketed ones so beware.  Make sure of what your rifle is rated at before even reading this article, yeah, they are that hot!!
Dave
http://leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
Heres some good loads from the Hodgdon web site.  Look under pistol data and ruger only loads, good stuff.  http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 04:33:18 PM »
if you have  to ask

ABSOLUTELY  NOT

don't do anything  you  did not find  published in  2  thats TWO  sources

[want to bet your life  there is no misprints out there]......two  sources

that said  some of the handis have been bored  out  to 460  SnW
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 04:34:33 AM »
Not meaning to hijack this thread....

But, Huntsduck, was anyone hurt when that blowup happened? I'd imagine some clean drawers were needed...

HWD

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:36 AM »
HWD

He was lucky only some minor stuff cuts and bruising, this happened to a friend of a friend last time I heard 2 years or so ago he quit reloading as they never did really figure out what happened.

Last year I was reloading 3" steel shotshells and this was not my first time I had been doing it for 3 years, I took a box too pattern with different chokes each shell was hand weigted on a RCBS 10-10 scale first the powder then a wad was seated then the shot I was very carefull as max load steel powder and shot is nothing to play with, about midway maybe shell #12 it kicked like a mule braking the ejector and mag release on my 11-87 needless to say I took every shell apart and still could not find the problem, I ordered 3 cases of WW supream ammo after that and another 2 cases this year steel shot is a PIA to get here on the west coast and I was not saving enought to matter.

Sorry for the hijack.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.