Author Topic: HERE IS WHAT I AM CONSIDERING  (Read 492 times)

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
HERE IS WHAT I AM CONSIDERING
« on: September 10, 2011, 05:51:12 AM »
Since it is obvious that I have overcomplicated this little squib results Here is what I am considering.
Because it happened because of my lack of reloading as I should be doing, i have questioned "why I don't".
It is the tediousness/slowness of the single stage Hornady LNL. Now don't get me wrong---I like the LNL, a lot. It is a good set up for produceing good ammo.
It is good for producing different loadings--experimenting, if you will.
I don't find the processso enthraling, as I once did.
I want to produce 500 rounds without the hasel and time spent doing it.
I am cosidering the Dillon 550 or 650.
for you guys who have this/these set-ups---why did you chose what you did?
I don't want this to be a cost factor, I want it to be a process factor towards what you chose.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Larry Gibson

Re: HERE IS WHAT I AM CONSIDERING
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:17:08 AM »
I chose the 550B over the 650 becuase the 650 is "too busy" for my loading.  If something goes wrong it is easier to correct with the 550.  The 550 does not auto advance so I can pull a case at any station for quality control or to double check.  The 550 is quicker to change to different cartridge or to adjust for different load.  The 550 is much better for fine tuning and tweaking loads.  The 550 can also be used as a single stage press. 
However, if loading one cartridge with one load and you will not be interupted of distracted the 650 is very fast and works well.  Lots of add on gadgets to make the 650 even more automatic but they all can easily get out of 'time" and cause problems.  Set up time if changing cartridges with all the gadgets can be time consuming and frustrating.
The 550B better suits my reloading needs with a progressive press.  I load numerous cartridges on minefrom pistol to rifle, from plinking to match loads and with jacketed and cast bullets.  I also still use my single stage presses for load development and smaller quanities of some cartridges.  With the 550B I can load 350 400 rounds per hour by myself.
Larry Gibson

Offline noylj

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 06:51:07 PM »
I found that by charging a case and immediately inspecting the charge height and seating a bullet, I eliminated squibs from my process. I just HATED loading blocks.
However, when the first 5-station progressive came out that was affordable (the Hornady Pro-7, I think), I immediately bought one and retired my single-stage presses.
Never regretted buting the Hornady--always worked great for me and, until the L-N-L came out, I had been able to have Horandy upgrade me for very little money.
IF you want a progressive, get a press with at least 5 stations--unless you are only loading bottleneck cartridges. Also, for most of us, an auto-index makes it very hard to produce a double charge. No insult, but the 550B owners I know are all very OCD and controlling. EVERYTHING must be under their control and nothing happens unless they MAKE it happen. Some even go so far as to ONLY load one case at a time so they can always keep an eye on what is happening.
Conversely, the one SDB owner I know only loads to plink and is happy with just the same-old same-old and hates any change whatsoever. Have a feeling, from magazine articles, that most SDB presses are set-up pretty much once and nothing ever changes.
I personally "love" only two progressive presses: the Hornady L-N-L AP and the Dillon Super 1050. I want a station for an RCBS Lock-out die or, I want to be able to separate case expansion/mouth flaring from powder charging at times, and need 5 stations since I am NOT going to seat and crimp in one operation.
IF you consider the 550 or the 650, you HAVE to get a case feeder. The Dillons are very non-ergonomic and you need to feed a case into the right side of the shell plate (either one at a time or you manually load a tube with 25-30 cases) and, if you load sitting down, you will be hopping up and down all the time. IF you don't want a case feeder, get the Hornady. If you WANT a case feeder, get the 650. The backwards ergonomics are fine as long as you have a case feeder on your Dillon.
With the Hornady, I simply had always picked up a bullet and case while I cycled the ram. When the ram was down, I fed a case into the shellplate and placed a bullet on the charged case as I inspected it (unlike the Dillon, the charged case is right under your nose and you have to work NOT to look into the case as you place a bullet on it) and never saw any need to spend hundreds of dollars on a case feeder.
Then, I used a friends new 650. He was so proud of it. All the guys at the club had told to buy one and he knew he was better than the Hornady I told him I used. After we loaded about 100 rounds, he went into work the next day and ordered a case feeder. I made sure never to say anything despairing about his press, but I sure learned that I wouldn't own the sucker WITHOUT a case feeder.
If you want to go out and crank out 100 rounds in just a few minutes, get the Super 1050. I used to have one in the garage and I would spend about 10 minutes out there and have a week's worth of .45ACPs loaded.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 12:22:02 PM »
I chose the 550B over the 650 becuase the 650 is "too busy" for my loading.  If something goes wrong it is easier to correct with the 550.  The 550 does not auto advance so I can pull a case at any station for quality control or to double check.  The 550 is quicker to change to different cartridge or to adjust for different load.  The 550 is much better for fine tuning and tweaking loads.  The 550 can also be used as a single stage press. 
However, if loading one cartridge with one load and you will not be interupted of distracted the 650 is very fast and works well.  Lots of add on gadgets to make the 650 even more automatic but they all can easily get out of 'time" and cause problems.  Set up time if changing cartridges with all the gadgets can be time consuming and frustrating.
The 550B better suits my reloading needs with a progressive press.  I load numerous cartridges on minefrom pistol to rifle, from plinking to match loads and with jacketed and cast bullets.  I also still use my single stage presses for load development and smaller quanities of some cartridges.  With the 550B I can load 350 400 rounds per hour by myself.
Larry Gibson

Larry well put and I agree 100%.

I also have a SDB for pistol (wish they made 30carb dies for it) along with a RCBS RC for larger less shot calibers like 270 to 375 H&H.

I use the 550 for 22 up to 260.

Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 02:30:15 AM »
I think the auto-indexing will solve my concerns with squib and double charging while increase my production rate.
The concerns with the manual indexing are that distractions or a whiz break can create a squibor double.
I do well with the LNL, working each load and keeping an eye on the process. the problems that caused me to stop my reloading were/was the time it took me to do 500 rounds.
I found myself being caught in mid-stream and having to stop--without knowing when I could get back to it. it was a real hassle. This inability to finish a run is what was causing me concerns.
The auto should help this---plus my attention span is not as great as it once was.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD