Author Topic: Hint for cleaning primer pocketts  (Read 752 times)

Offline calvon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Hint for cleaning primer pocketts
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »
Been using a Lee tool for cleaning the crud out of primer pockets. Tried a medium slot-head screwdriver, which works just as well. Then had a wild thought: what about a Torx head bit? Tried a T-25 size and it works better than any of the above in both small and large primer pockets.

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
Re: Hint for cleaning primer pocketts
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 03:34:08 PM »
Or a wire primer pocket brush in a cordless drill.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:02 AM »
Years ago, I bought a pocket truer. It's got a shoulder so you can't cut but so deep. Just give it a little spin and pockets are clean(if you'd trued them already). It's 2 ended for large pockets and small ones.
HWD 

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:59:46 AM »
Years ago, I bought a pocket truer. It's got a shoulder so you can't cut but so deep. Just give it a little spin and pockets are clean(if you'd trued them already). It's 2 ended for large pockets and small ones.
HWD

Ditto

Offline ratdog

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:09:09 AM »
don't wast my time cleaning pockets never had a problem only have taken crimp off with knife. ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:28:37 AM »
No more primer pocket cleaning for me,  I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner for my brass for several months now and am real happy with the results, I'm not a high volume shooter, so this method won't be for you if you are, but cleaning small batches that will fit in the beaker work excellent, 20 7mm-08 fit with room to spare.  I deprime with a Lee universal decapper, then place the cases inside a Kimax beaker as described in the 6mmBr article. Add just enough Birchwood/Casey case cleaner mix to cover the cases, then run them in the machine for 3 minutes, rinse good, then run them in water for 8 minutes. While it's running, preheat your over to 200º, rinse again and make sure all the water is dumped out of each case, lay them on a paper towel on a cookie sheet and place in the oven, turn the heat off, they'll be dry in less the 30 minutes. These are once fired Federal 7mm-08, the results speak for themselves. The cases in the 6mmBr article are 4x fired, so they took a lot longer to clean.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »
Thanks for your input. I won't bother with my primer pocket preferrences; everyone else already has that covered  ;D . But, does a T-25 fit both large and small pockets? Different dia...

Offline Glanceblamm

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 02:20:17 AM »
No more primer pocket cleaning for me,  I've been using an ultrasonic cleaner for my brass for several months now and am real happy with the results, I'm not a high volume shooter, so this method won't be for you if you are, but cleaning small batches that will fit in the beaker work excellent, 20 7mm-08 fit with room to spare.  I deprime with a Lee universal decapper, then place the cases inside a Kimax beaker as described in the 6mmBr article. Add just enough Birchwood/Casey case cleaner mix to cover the cases, then run them in the machine for 3 minutes, rinse good, then run them in water for 8 minutes. While it's running, preheat your over to 200º, rinse again and make sure all the water is dumped out of each case, lay them on a paper towel on a cookie sheet and place in the oven, turn the heat off, they'll be dry in less the 30 minutes. These are once fired Federal 7mm-08, the results speak for themselves. The cases in the 6mmBr article are 4x fired, so they took a lot longer to clean.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

Good Job Tim!...I had a Sonic Cleaner on my short list mainly for die cleaning back in 08' but it got neglected due to Cancer surgery & treatment. Perhaps I need to get one of these after all, not really for brass but the dies & other small parts.