Author Topic: Why not a VX-1 4-12X for the varmint rifle?  (Read 1289 times)

Offline tacotime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Why not a VX-1 4-12X for the varmint rifle?
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:06:55 AM »
Setting up a varmint rifle.  Always had 3-9X40 or less before, then I thought, why not the Vari-X I  4-12X40?  Sure a few more $, but is there any other drawback in performance or function over the 3-9?  This will not be with an adjustable objective.

Are the 4-12x scopes not well focused over the entire zoom range?  Is that why the AO option shows up on 4-12X scopes?

I know from my camera optics experience, with increased zoom usually comes some kind of cost in light transmission or other area of function.

Thanks!

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Re: Why not a VX-1 4-12X for the varmint rifle?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 10:14:44 AM »
IMHO a variable objective is needed when you go over 9 power.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:44:00 AM »
Do I expect to see a blurry target or reticle at 12x without the AO?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:19:49 PM »
You should expect blurriness from it from around 7x upward. I won't own a scope with more than 9X on top end without parallax adjustment. Useless as far as I'm concerned.

Most all scopes up to 3-9 do OK without it tho. Some times for my eyes at least things are blurry at closer ranges like for initial sight in at 25 yards but not a big deal as I won't be punching a lot of paper at that range at that magnification anyway. Dropping down to 6X or less the blurriness seems to go away.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline tuck2

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 05:29:43 PM »
What power scope I put on a varmint rifle depends on what and how the expected shooting distances will be common.  For shooting prairie dogs I like the 6-18 X 44 AO scopes but I have tried the 6.5-20 X AO scopes.  If you are going to call in preditors within  25 to 200 yards a 3-9x will do but I would go with a 4-12 X AO scope.  My little Hornet has a low power scope on it while the heavy varmint 243 Win and Swift  has a 6.5-20 X on them  for shooting at yots at longer ranges. --- You need to tell us what cartridge  and rifle you be using  to hunt what size  varmints.

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2011, 03:16:29 AM »
my exact opinion. Even better quality scopes that are higher in magnification then 9x tend to be a bit blurry unless you can focus them with an ajustable objective. I wouldnt by a 4x12 wthout it.
You should expect blurriness from it from around 7x upward. I won't own a scope with more than 9X on top end without parallax adjustment. Useless as far as I'm concerned.

Most all scopes up to 3-9 do OK without it tho. Some times for my eyes at least things are blurry at closer ranges like for initial sight in at 25 yards but not a big deal as I won't be punching a lot of paper at that range at that magnification anyway. Dropping down to 6X or less the blurriness seems to go away.
blue lives matter

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »
+ 1 for me too.  I have a 4x12x50 Vari-X II that seems to be ok at long distances >100yrds and not blurry (or at least that I can see) at 12x...but...I can't use the 12x at say 50 yards because it's too blurry.

I have 5 scopes that have AO.....I don't find them to be all that difficult to deal with providing I'm expecting open fields or long shots.  I set the AO on 150yrds and leave it there.  On the other hand...if I'm in the thick stuff or heavily wooded areas...I don't use a scope with AO capability.   So....I have an AO on a 22lr (3x9AO Weaver Rimfire), 17HMR (4x14AO Weaver), AR-Natl Match (6x18AO Leupi), Rem 700 Varminter 223 and Ruger Custom 270 (4x12x40AO Leupi). 
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 05:04:02 AM »
Hey Taco....there's a weaver V16 4x14 for sale in the Optics classified for $225 delivered.  I have one...it's great buy and great scope.  FYI
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Grumulkin

• Trade Count: (33)
    • http://www.orchardphoto.com
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 08:22:48 PM »
I have a Leupold 4-12X scope with no AO and I've not noticed the troublesome blurriness some speak of.

Offline krmcne

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 04:43:13 PM »
It was my understanding that the Adjustable Objective (AO) was to remove the parallax, as well as focus the scope. Although every definition of parallax has slightly baffled me, here's what it does: Set the AO at about 50 yards. Now look at an object at about 300 yards. Now slightly move your head up and down and left to right. If your rifle is nicely supported, you will see the crosshairs actually move on the target. This is critical. This means that if you don't get your eye in exactly the same place for each shot, your crosshairs may look like they are on target but they are not. This is called parallax. Now adjust the AO to 300 yards and move your head left and right, up and down. You should not see the crosshairs move on the target at all.

Most non AO scopes have parallax setting at 100 yards. But look at a target further away and you will notice the crosshairs moving on the target as you move your head slightly. This may be fine for big game, but for smaller targets at longer distances, it's usually unacceptable.

I have had several AO scopes that don't quite match up with the AO yardage. One Nikon scope I had would still have parallax at 200 yards while set on 200 on the side focus, but was perfect at 200 yards while set at about 170. I had another scope that the crosshairs moved about 7 inches at 200 yards while set at 200 yards. I sent that scope back to the manufacturer and they sent me a new one.
My recommendation is to always get a scope with an adjustable objective if you are doing precision shooting. I now only buy AO scopes so that I have the confidence for longer shots at any kind of game.

Offline Ladobe

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 08:31:42 PM »

The AO is for adjusting for parallax at given ranges, and the ocular lens is to focus the reticle to your eyes despite both being called "focusing".   On a quality scope with excellent glass and coatings once the ocular is set/locked it shouldn't have to be changed again no matter what range your shooting at or what mag you turn your scope to.   Changing the AO to match the range is a constant chore when hunting varmints where ranges can vary shot to shot hundreds of yards.    That said on lower quality scopes changing the ocular may appear to help a little with parallax, but its more likely other factors (exit pupil, eye relief, coatings, shooter technique, etc).

As already said, any higher magnification scope must have AO.   Non AO scopes can be factory set anywhere from 50-150 yards I believe, and rimfire scopes even closer.   They are usually not a problem past those ranges to infinity, but might be at closer ranges without AO.   

A 3-9 isn't enough scope for varmint hunting in the west... even a 4-12 is borderline IMO.   Kind of hard to aim and hit small if you can't see small at the longest ranges IOW.   I've had times the 36X target scopes were not enough.   
I prefer variables with 4-6X on the lower end, and 14-24X on the top end for varmint scopes, with AO fine CH Dot reticles AND objectives larger than 40mm.

My varmint rigs are set up for the longest PBR the cartridge is easily capable of on the game being hunted, whether rifle or specialty handgun.   Means it might be 200 yards, might be 500 or 600 yards.   With that on those for the longest ranges a digger at 750 or well past may not be a gimmee, but its in jeopardy. 

Long range shooting is all about repeatability... the firearm, the ammo, the scope, knowing the exact ballistics of the rig with that ammo and most of all shooter technique.   Matters not if all else is perfect if the trigger jockey can't consistently have the same weld, same sight picture, same technique from shot to shot.

Evolution at work. Over two million years ago the genus Homo had small cranial capacity and thick skin to protect them from their environment. One species has evolved into obese cranial fatheads with thin skin in comparison that whines about anything and everything as their shield against their environment. Meus

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:20 PM »
I hate foolin with an adjustable objective. Just about wont put one on a hunting rifle. Too much to fool with. I have a 3-12 AO on my 17hmr and i leave it set at 100. sometimes i notice a blur with it if closer than about 50 but rarely from 50 out.

i dont  go higher than 12x on a hunting rifle because i dont want to fool with an AO. Never noticed any issues on the nikon prostaff 4-12. Have no experience with the vx1 however. If i am outfitting a bench rifle then i dont mind the extra adjustments. Just dont care for it on a hunting rifle.
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:31:13 AM »
never could see that argument. You hear it from the fixed power fans too. NOBODY is ever making you fiddle with anything when your about to shoot. It sure is helpful to me though to be able to at the beginning of a hunt set my power and objective to the ideal setting for that hunt. Sure you can be wrong but you can be also wrong with a non ajustable one set at a 100 yards too.
I hate foolin with an adjustable objective. Just about wont put one on a hunting rifle. Too much to fool with. I have a 3-12 AO on my 17hmr and i leave it set at 100. sometimes i notice a blur with it if closer than about 50 but rarely from 50 out.

i dont  go higher than 12x on a hunting rifle because i dont want to fool with an AO. Never noticed any issues on the nikon prostaff 4-12. Have no experience with the vx1 however. If i am outfitting a bench rifle then i dont mind the extra adjustments. Just dont care for it on a hunting rifle.
blue lives matter

Offline Joe S.

• Trade Count: (30)
  • A Real Regular
  • The poisonous mushroom!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 03:07:51 AM »
Just how i feel. More than once ive raised my gun (the ones with AO) to see an unclear image because i had it on a different setting than i needed from hunting in a different spot or a range trip (maybe im scatterbrained?). Not once have i ever had that issue with a non AO... (maybe im lucky?)

;)
Joe S.
Central MS

"An armed society is a polite society."

redistribute work ethic!

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 05:28:16 AM »
Never been able to sight in a rifle from a truck.  Slightest wind or shooter movement causes motion.  If you must use a truck, drop the tailgate, set the rest on it and sit in a chair to avoid leaning on the truck.
Those are my experiences.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 08:05:05 AM »
I also like AO on higher power scopes.

At first I wanted it for my rimfires as they are used at the closer dicatnces and the paralax was a killer of good accuarcy. I was happy with this ause my rimfires where used foir small game or varmints and to my mind I had more time shooting them than I did shooting deer. Smal game was fun Big game was serious and I did not have the time to "fiddle" with my scope when a deer was coming in...
Of coarse, you should know, my deer hunting is close range. Always inside 100 yards, 75% of that under 50 yards. You see the deer, in very short order you shoot it. These deer shows where that spend minutes watching, looking adjusting... looking some more then diciding if they have camera footage.... frustrating to watch! If I was hunting "out west" where the distances are long things would be different. But with varmints and small game, it like the pressure is off and I find the time to adjust things, re position, watch, look re adjust and then shoot...

Anyhow, I also have a Leupy 4x12, 3.5x10 and a Nikon Monarch 4.5x14 and I don't find focus problems on the higher powers. I know its directly associated with the quality of the glass and its coatings. As I also have a couple Simmons, Tasco and BSA in 3x12, 4x12 and 6x18 and ALL have focus problems on higher powers if you don't set the AO properly. Once set, they are nice and clear.

I defineately look for a AO on my hi power scopes.

CW

"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.