Author Topic: Removal of socket from sythetic stock  (Read 1411 times)

Offline OldSchoolRanger

• Trade Count: (60)
Removal of socket from sythetic stock
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:25 AM »
I know this subject has been brought up before, I just can't find it.  I have looked for it in the stickies, and still haven't been able to locate the thread.

I recently switched from a wood stock to a new synthetic stock on one of my Handis, and everything went well until I tried to remove my socket.  It's stuck.  :P

I tired all my tricks, screwdriver, using a piece of wood to open up the stock up a little, long nose pliers, spraying lube on the socket, etc.  Nothing seems to work.  Am I doomed to suffer from the dreaded "SSinS" (socket stuck in the stock) syndrome?  :-[ Suggestions?
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

When you allow a lie to go unchallenged, it becomes the truth.

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (18)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Removal of socket from sythetic stock
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
Did you try taking the bolt back out?  A thin wall socket will usually work in the plastic stocks.

Bill

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Removal of socket from synthetic stock
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:44:24 AM »
Not all sockets are created equally... find a thin walled socket and you will be fine.

To remove remove stock and drive it out with bolt..

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:08 AM »
Did you try taking the bolt back out?  A thin wall socket will usually work in the plastic stocks.

Bill

Bingo!!! - remove the entire stock bolt from the stock by just pushing it back into and through the stock, remove the stuck socket, and try again....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Rotten RJ

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
  • Avid Poster
  • "Initial success or total failure."
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
The last time I got the socket stuck in a synthetic stock (and quickly reminded myself that I shoud have been using a thin walled socket),  :-[ I took a long piece of stout coat hanger, bent a hook on the end that would just pass through the 3/8" opening of the socket.  It kinda snaps in place into the socket and then just yank it out.  ;D That coat hanger tool now hangs over the workbench as a reminder to find a thin walled socket. ;)
RJ
US Army (ret) EOD Master Blaster

Offline OR-E-Gun Bill

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »
From this old man's bag-0-tricks:

Wrap a strip of electrical tape over the end of the extension and jam into the socket. Hopefully it will provide enough tightening to the socket to get your socket out of the tight spot.

Bill

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 08:30:46 AM »
Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

Rotten RJ, I guess, I have to write a note and hang it in the gun safe to remind me of the same thing.  I had this problem once before, but I got the socket out without too much trouble.  BTW, I finally found the thread regarding stuck socket removal. The reason I had such a hard time finding it was that it  was listed under "swapping barrels".  ::)

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?topic=231634.0

I tried MNSHOOTER's trick, and it came out.  Thanks again, everybody.
"You are entitled to your own opinions, but you are not entitled to your own facts." - Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan

My quandary, I personally, don't think I have enough Handi's but, I know I have more Handi's than I really need or should have.

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
Or just tap stock on floor , worked for me.
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
Squeeze it so it expands the opening and bang it on a counter it worked for me
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline SHOOTALL

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:48:13 AM »
I didn't have a counter and wife said no to kitchen table  ;D
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »
I've never had a problem with the socket sticking in the stock even with a standard wall socket because I jam the extension thru a few layers of plastic bag when I put the socket on, it's real hard to pull off that way, been doing that for about 50yrs in situations where I don't want to loose a socket someplace where it doesn't belong :o, once it happens, you don't take chances.  ::) ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 06:04:58 PM »
Weld the socket to the extension and it'll never pull off again. ;)  Keep it in your toolbox just for working on Handi's.

Spanky

Offline geezerbiker

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 12:35:20 AM »
You guys are making this harder than it has to be.  Point the rifle up and bang the but end down on a carpeted floor and the socket will drop out...

Tony

Offline petemi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (73)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »
Spanky, that's the best idea yet.  Weld it.  I've got one syn stock I can't even drive the thin wall into without damaging something.  For the life of me, I don't know why they don't simply widen the gap in there.

Pete
Keep both eyes open and make the first shot good.
The growing Handi/Sportster/Pardner/Topper Family:  .22 WMR, .22-250. 223, Two Superlight 7mm-08s and one .243, .30-30,  .308, 32-20, 18 inch .356/.358 Win., Two 16.5 inch .357 Max., 18 inch 38-55 BC Carbine, 16.5 inch .445 Super Mag., .45LC, 16.5 and 22 inch .45-70s, .50 Huntsman SS, .410, 20 ga., 12 ga., 20 ga. Pardner Pump, Versa-Pack .410 - .22
[size=7.4 pt]PLEASE DONATE TO THE GBO SERVER FUND  We're closer to the goal but not there yet, we can still use more donations, thanks

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,191112.msg1098959491.html#msg1098959491

Offline Junior1942

• Trade Count: (1)
    • The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 03:15:51 AM »
Spanky, that's the best idea yet.  Weld it.  I've got one syn stock I can't even drive the thin wall into without damaging something.  For the life of me, I don't know why they don't simply widen the gap in there.

Pete
+1 on Spanky's best idea yet.  Next trip to town, I'm buying a 9/16" thinwall socket and an extension.  They'll stay in my truck until I run across a shadetree welder.

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

Pete
+1 on Spanky's best idea yet.  Next trip to town, I'm buying a 9/16" thinwall socket and an extension.  They'll stay in my truck until I run across a shadetree welder.

If you do want it welded, stop at any muffler shop... but first hit a liquor store for a six pack of some beer. Stop at the muffler shop just before they close and ask for the manager. Explain to him and see of one of the guys can throw a couple beads on the setup for a six pack... I have done it many times before I bought my own welders...

OR if by chance your local to CT, shoot me a PM. I'll do it for you for free!

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
Or just epoxy it on and drink the beer yourself!!  ;D

Tim

Offline flinthead

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 10:45:30 AM »
Tim has it right... ;D
" A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog"

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »
Send the beer to Tim,  :) or even better, drink it for him. ;D

Offline oldsoldja

• "what ever you do, dont smoke."
  • endeavor to persevere
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 04:03:18 PM »
Ive left them in there and filled the bugger with bbs.
TDC, 2x TJC, 7x57, 3030mann,.356,300aac,.30carbine,2x50-70, 375win,243 fluted,30-06 ported, 454 casull,270 fluted.458wm,7mm-08 shorty,223 shorty,35 whel,16g folder, 357talo, 45colt carbine,35 rem,22250 fluted, 4570shorty, 22hornetshorty , 357max, 17m2,7.62x39, 12g fluted slug, 450 marlin, 22mag, 22lr,10g camo, 38-55, 17hmr custom, 410g, m48 16g,44 mag talo,410-12m, m8-12g, m158 20g, 22jet ,wh 45-70 bc,.280,58 50 45 MLS, 12g folder,4x 30-30,3x17hmr,m4816g,410,.308,45-120,3x204 fluted, 20gslug, 25-06,12g ported slug, 20g ribbed, .270ported, 22h mann, 500shorty .357.444,20g,45-70,223,12g, 7.62x39 shorty, 20g greenwing, 500sw talo, 4x 45-70 bc, 22khornet

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:40 PM »

Right, weld it as in JB weld.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2011, 04:20:27 AM »

Thanks CW et al!  The guy at Ace Hardware yesterday also suggested J&B Weld.  I think that's what I'll do.
Note: when did Ace Hardware start selling Craftsman tools?  I thought that was a Sears & Roebuck brand???

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 05:53:32 AM »
Note: when did Ace Hardware start selling Craftsman tools?  I thought that was a Sears & Roebuck brand???

May and June of last year.

Tim

http://ourcompany.acehardware.com/news/general/20100219.pdf

Offline tobster

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2011, 09:10:00 AM »
A piece of shop rag between the socket and the extension makes for a pretty secure connection between the two that doesn't have to be permanent.

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 12:28:44 PM »

Thanks CW et al!  The guy at Ace Hardware yesterday also suggested J&B Weld.  I think that's what I'll do.
Heads up!  My $20+ Ace Hardware/Craftsman "3-PC. 1/4" DRIVE QUICK RELEASE EXTENSION BAR SET" locks into the socket via a little black button.  You can't pull the socket off by hand unless you push the little black button!  No welding or epoxy needed.

Offline OldSchoolRanger

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »
Heads up!  My $20+ Ace Hardware/Craftsman "3-PC. 1/4" DRIVE QUICK RELEASE EXTENSION BAR SET" locks into the socket via a little black button.  You can't pull the socket off by hand unless you push the little black button!  No welding or epoxy needed.
Jr. - Just curious, what length extension bars do you get with the 3 piece set?

Offline Junior1942

• The Frugal Outdoorsman
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2011, 05:56:19 AM »
Jr. - Just curious, what length extension bars do you get with the 3 piece set?
Got a 10", 6" and a 3" bar in the set.