Author Topic: Pressure to make lead wire ???  (Read 1575 times)

Offline Kmrere42

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Pressure to make lead wire ???
« on: September 15, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
How much pressure does it take to make wire if I use a simple extrusion die setup.  I would be using a 20 -- 30 ton hydraulic shop press and a bore dia of about 1.5".  Extruded wire size of about 3/8" and lead up to about BHN-10/12.

If I used 4140-HT for the die body just how thick would it have to be???

Paul,

Offline talon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Pressure to make lead wire ???
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:59:21 AM »
Kmrere42, this is a very complex question and I can not properly answer it. While the Corbin Mfg Company has a very good book on this very subject (Power Swaging), most of it is based upon BnH 5 lead and the CHP-1 press. How long is the lead alloy billet to be and what will be the temperature of the billet to be swaged? I make a lot of lead wire, but it is BnH 7 at the most. I know that for every 1 point increase in hardness, the pressure required to swage an alloy increases far greater. The die body I use has about a 3/16" thick wall, but it's a Corbin  die and that's all I know of it's strength.  I would assume that a larger bore would require a  thicker wall, regardless of the type steel used.  If I heat the billet to about 180-220 degrees it swages much easier. The billets are 3/4"d and only 4" long and are well lubricated. That way, there isn't much friction on the die walls, but I would assume that less lubricant and the longer the billet, the more pressure would be required.  While I would suggest that a wire making die body of 4140-HT having a 1.5" bore have walls of at least an inch thick for BnH 12 work, is your head stock ( or piston) wide enough ( about 4.5")  to accept the die body? I would be interested in other's comments on this subject.

Offline Lead pot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Pressure to make lead wire ???
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »
I made a lead extruder using a 1' long 4" round bar stock and turned a 1.5" bore for 10.5" and bored a .420 hole to extrude the wire. The ram was a 1.5" with the end cut square with a 6" cylinder bore. all this was mounted and welded on a 35# I beam and the power was the back hoe hydraulics. The die I cut a slot in it so I could drop a ingot cast in a Lyman ingot mould.

Dont go were the path leads,go were there is no path and leave a trail.