Author Topic: Finally had it with Lee Precision...  (Read 3572 times)

Offline contenderfan

• Trade Count: (5)
Finally had it with Lee Precision...
« on: September 17, 2011, 05:46:47 AM »
 I aquired a .375 Winchester Contender a while back. I bought all the needed reloading equipment from Lee Precision. Always had acceptable results from Lee before so I figured all would be well.
 Found out the case trimmer lock stud had so much runout it was nearly unuseable so I sent it back, along with the cutter that went dull after 45 empty cases. I ended up buying 3 more lock studs before it was over with...all with insane runout. I sent an e-mail stating such and John Lee replied back and assured they would all be replaced free of charge, and that the shop had informed him that "yes some of the lock stud have excessive runout. actions had been taken to correct it."
 Well, I got all total 4 replacement lock studs and every single one of them was just as bad as the first. The cutter was not replaced or resharpened...just sent back as it was when I sent it in. Sent anothe e-mail to Mr. Lee, told him I was sending it all back and to keep his replacements. Will never buy a Lee product again.

I ordered a Forster case trimmer and now have nice square case mouths. I am going to slowly (as money allows) replace all my reloading equipment and get rid of all the Lee equipment. Just shows how bad the coompany is going downhill in quality. Sad really...Mr. Lee has yet to answer any further e-mails regarding the matter...I guess "Precision" is not a concern at his company anymore.

Offline oneoldsap

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Finally had it with Lee Precision...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:21:57 PM »
    I've always thought of Lee equipment as entry level , for someone who just can't wait and buy the good stuff ( anything not made by Lee ) .  It's easy to upgrade Lee equipment as there's nowhere to go but up .

Offline wncchester

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:08 PM »
"I am going to slowly (as money allows) replace all my reloading equipment and get rid of all the Lee equipment."

Aw man, I hate that.  Now, you wanna hear what brand I won't buy anymore?  No?!!  Humm...oh well.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:07:21 PM »
Been there, done that. LEE saved me significant money getting started. However I lost all those savings when stuff started breaking and wearing out, which didn't take long.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:44:13 PM »
I've never had a bit of trouble with Lee products.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 05:20:22 PM »
I swore off of Lee Precision Equipment several years ago and have never looked back.  Some of their designs are very innovative, but the materials they use to make their products make them unacceptable, in my opinion.  I had one set of Lee dies that were so crummy I threw them in the trash because I would not even give them away to some poor unsuspecting person.

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:20:07 PM »
I have loaded thousands of rounds on Lee equipment, some of it dating back to the '70's and still in use. 

Hopefully they haven't let quality slip entirely.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 06:22:50 PM »
I also have never had any trouble with LEE products.   Maybe I've been lucky.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline Casull

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:03:08 PM »
Well, you're not the only one.  I've been "lucky" with Lee products for the past 25 years or so.  My first set of dies are that old and still working quite nicely.  Altogether, 8 sets of dies, two presses and various other tools.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline manatee1947

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 07:55:20 PM »
I have never had significant problems with Lee products. If you shoot so much you need commercial grade equipment you obviously have enough money to buy top grade equipment. For the average Joe Lee will probably work OK. Most of my stuff is RCBS but I have several Lee dies that have been in use for 10+ years. The RCBS are up to 40+ years old. Of cousre, I also have many Lyman items that are 60+ and just fine. I use a lot of Lee molds, they work well and I can usually cast enough to pay for them in a long weekend. I have purchased many new for around $18 on sale, when a SAECO nose pour would have run well over a hundred. Takes a lot of bullets to pay for that. Hopefully Lee will pick up the slack, It would e a shame to lose a company that has made it possible for so many to reload on a budget.
remember the starfish

Offline mauser98us

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 06:31:15 AM »
Likewise, I have never had an issue with Lee stuff. I like Redding best of all,but even with those expensive dies, I have had to send them back to correct some issues. Like anything in life, you pays you money and take your chances.

Offline mjbgalt

• Trade Count: (26)
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 06:37:02 AM »
have not had any issues with my lee stuff.
I have it on good authority that the telepromter is writing a stern letter.

Offline Bullseye

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »
I have come to the opinion over the years that other than the Lee Powder Dipper Set, any reloading equipment brand that starts with an "L" is not what I want to buy.  Just my opinion of course.

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 09:22:44 AM »
I have several lee products Lead pot a 1/2 doz. molds and some FC dies along W/dippers that is about it anymore and they have more then done the job.

I have had several sets of there dies and shell holders and the word here is HAD.

Lee is what it is and that's not Green or Blue.

I guess if I was just starting out now I might look at a few of there things like maybe a press.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 11:23:04 AM »
Personally I've had good success with Lee and will continue to buy their products.  To the point of the OP.  I feel your pain.  I am doing the same thing with Hornady.  Really got a raw deal and bad treatment from their customer service on a cheap $3 pot netal part so I have slowly purged my bench of anything Hornady.  Almost done.  Will bring a smile to my face when the last Hornady piece goes out the door. :) 

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
I have to say it--but I like Lee products--their case trimers are a little bit poorly constructed though compared to forester--but I really like the dies. I prefer RCBS presses, even though I do have a lyman turret press--I think it leaves a bit to be desired--my RCBS press is many times better. The worse luck I have had is with lyman stuff--dies,and powder measurers.

I think each company in trying to be a one stop provider of reloading equipment has things in their product line that isn't really all that good. I have never been around redding so can't have an opinion of them except that their stuff does look good.

cybin

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 01:52:36 PM »
 I load for a wide variety of handgun & rifle cartridges. At times I may only load a few of a type every 2 years or less, sticking more with my favorites. I do have a fair amount of other products, mostly green & red. Lee has worked out rather well for me, makes it easier also if you want to get setup with a new cartridge at a modest cost.
NRA, Veteran

Offline Savage

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »
Started out with the Lee Classic Loader and a hammer back in the 60s. Moved on to RCBS, (still have a Junior and Rock Chucker) then to Dillon, now for the last 20years or so back to Lee. I have three of their presses and dozens of other items made by Lee, including their case trimmers. I can afford any reloading equipment I want, but this stuff works for me. I realize it's not for everyone, I don't have any stock in Lee, so I  have no problem with others who prefer other brands.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2011, 03:44:29 PM »
I won't buy any more Lee rifle dies the last two sets I bought the sizing die in each set was defective.In the 35 Rem the decapping pin was way off center I thought it was just bent called Lee and asked if they could just send one. No they won't do that so I bought one turned out the threaded hole in the die wasn't drilled straight.The 6mm die didn't size the neck at all.Won't even go into the trouble I've had with turrets any money you save with Lee is soon lost returning stuff to get it right

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
All my dies are rcbs, but wouldn't crimp my .454 loads right. I then tried the Lee crimper and what a differance they came out perfect.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2011, 05:23:13 PM »
Started with Lee back in 69.
Like most, it was because of the price.
I still have and use the first press I ever bought from Lee.
It has loaded many thousands of rounds, both rifle and handgun.
I have over 30 sets of Lee dies along with other brands.
All seem to work just as good as the others.
I do swap out the locking rings for Hornaday ones.
The lee case trimmer was fine for me but soon bought a Lyman electric when they came out.
Did own a Lee turret with auto advance that was quite sloppy so I did get rid of it pretty quickly.
Other than the locking rings and the turret press I have been very sastified with all of my Lee equipment and still use them to this day.
That is over 40 years on some of their items.
Some people love Chevys and some hate them.
I love my Chevys and I love my Lee equipment.
I am sure that others love their brands also.

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline anachronism

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2011, 06:20:09 PM »
Personally I've had good success with Lee and will continue to buy their products.  To the point of the OP.  I feel your pain.  I am doing the same thing with Hornady.  Really got a raw deal and bad treatment from their customer service on a cheap $3 pot netal part so I have slowly purged my bench of anything Hornady.  Almost done.  Will bring a smile to my face when the last Hornady piece goes out the door. :)

Hornady doesn't seem to like having people call in for parts. They were actually worse than Lyman was a few years back.The woman I talked with at Hornady a few years back made me a devout Redding customer.

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2011, 12:23:16 AM »
  Over the years i have probably had 20 sets of Lee dies. Only had problems with 1 and Lee replaced it. I also have 1 of the first 3 hole turret presses to hit the gun shops here. Loaded a lot of ammo on it with no problems at all. A friend of mine has a Lee scale. That was so far off it wasn't safe to use. A call to Lee and they replaced that too. That was all years ago so maybe Lee has changed since then.

Offline fast*eddie

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 03:36:56 AM »
I have Lee dies a Lee press and other Lee products . Never had a problem with any of them .
I have some RCBS dies that I won't use any more !!!
Semper Fi !

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2011, 04:10:00 AM »
I sounded a little rougher on Lee than I really feel.I have gotten some defective stuff from them over the years but I got a lot of  good too.What I can't understand is why they just can't send you small parts.I call about something and they know there is a problem or a bad run but they won't just send one you have to return the bad one.RCBS and Hornady you need something they send it I'am sure some other companies do too

Offline gypsyman

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2011, 04:41:11 AM »
Sometimes, ya get what ya pay for. Not all the time is cheap the best way to go. Very seldom, have I ever had a chuck roast turn out as good as a NY Strip. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2011, 06:25:00 AM »
I started with Lee because,like many of you, it was all a poor boy could afford. Some of those dies are still in use.
In 1979 I was given a used Lee Pro1000. After a few modifications it is still in use. The only criticism that I have for Lee is their die lock nuts(that don't lock). Replace those nuts with RCBS and you are good to go.
My bench has Lee,Lyman, Redding,and RCBS. My preference has become RCBS for quality and customer service.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
  I don't understand the problem with the Lee lock rings. I have heard that numerous times before. I lock them down in the turret with a wrench and they stay. My Lee 22-250 dies have been locked down for close to 20 years. Used a lot and never been readjusted.

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2011, 07:16:06 AM »
I have come to the conclusion that a lot of problems with Lee equipment is operator error. Yep, things do break, but I once broke a 1/2-13 grade 8 bolt! Of course, I wasn't using it as per the manufacturer's suggestions, but I broke it. I had an older modle han primer that I used for years and never broke it, but then again I didn't try to stuff a large primer in a small pocket. Some things just need to be used correctly (Lee's scale uses a vernier scale poise, which some can't handle/use at all, and if you turn the case while trimming, vs turning the cutter, the case mouth will be square). I have used hand tools all my life and was a machinist/machine operator for many years and I see very few of the complaints about Lee stuff that isn't just misusing the tool/euipment. Yep, things wear out and break, my buddie's Rolex quit working too...

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2011, 08:56:19 AM »
mdi you don't know what your talking about.I like how know it alls post and because they haven't had a problem with a product  they think no one else has.You really think in all the sets of dies Lee has made they haven't made a bad one.