Author Topic: Finally had it with Lee Precision...  (Read 3570 times)

Offline Casull

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Finally had it with Lee Precision...
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »
You really think in all the sets of dies Lee has made they haven't made a bad one.

Do you really think that RCBS, Lyman or any others haven's either?  I've used Lee products for a quarter century and have had only one piece of equipment fail or fail to perform.  That was a single stage press that I attempted to use for swaging bullets, and the handle broke.  I tried the same stupid stunt with my buddy's RCBS press and the frame bent on that one.  Ah, youth and lack of brains.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline huntducks

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
You bent the frame on a RC? or?

I'll bet RCBS replaced that press FREE.

Lee has a 2 year warrenty and they stick to it.

I did not really comment on lee dies before but they and their shellholders have the worst tolerances I have ever seen.
Remember it's where the first bullet goes out of a cold barrel that counts most.

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2011, 10:33:24 AM »
Yes I'am sure all manufacturers do.My first post was mostly about Lee customer service I don't know who has the largest percent of defects. For me Its been Lee for someone else it could well be RCBS, Lyman, Hornady,or who ever.My last was just a rant about people who think they know more than everybody else

Offline Casull

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2011, 11:12:07 AM »
You bent the frame on a RC? or?

Yep.  Unfortunately, I have a habit of doing stuff like that.  I once broke off two bolts in a small block chevy while replacing the alternator.  Had to use an "easy out" to fix that.  I have gotten a little better over the years, however.

I'll bet RCBS replaced that press FREE.

No, he never contacted them.  He bought it used.  We did straighten it a bit and he kept using it (although the ram would drag noticeably while going up and down).
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2011, 12:16:05 PM »
You don't always get what you pay for.  :(
I've had a few Lee parts break or quit working correctly.
But I've also had that with other brands.
Just about a year ago I bought a brand spanking new Lyman sizer.
About the third time I used it, it broke.
Much like my experience with Lee they replaced the broken part.
For the most part I stick with Lee because thier products work as well
as any others and it saves me money I can spend on other stuff.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline tacotime

• Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2011, 12:42:13 PM »
No problem with a dozen of Lee dies and several presses and other items.

Offline av-doctor

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2011, 02:09:21 PM »
i've recently had a similar problem with lee case trimmer well the shellholder actually bought a zip trim and 223,243,30-30 case length guages 243,30-30 work flawlessly 223 was another story 1st shellholder wasn't threaded deep enough so it won't hold the case in place. one call to lee and they sent me a new one, new one threads are fine but the slot to center case is cut too deep and case spins way too off center, so i don't continue having this problem i'm eliminating the shellholder and switching to the 3 jaw chuck. 

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2011, 06:31:07 PM »
Casull:
I did the same thing to a bolt on an alternator on a 455 Buick stage one motor.
The only difference is mine would keep backing loose so I put some Locktite on it.
At the time I didn't know they made BLUE and RED Locktite and used the red.
Never came loose again, and I do mean never!
I broke it off trying to get it out and had to drill it out.
Even the easyout broke off.
You learn with age and stupidity is a great teacher !!!  :P

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline Casull

« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2011, 07:03:09 PM »

You learn with age and stupidity is a great teacher !!!  :P

Longtom, truer words were never spoken.   ;)
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »
mdi you don't know what your talking about.I like how know it alls post and because they haven't had a problem with a product  they think no one else has.You really think in all the sets of dies Lee has made they haven't made a bad one.
Wow, I need an interpreter for this "post".  Sounds like way too many Lone Stars!  I may not know everything, but I do know how to use hand tools, and reloading equipment falls into that catagory. I've had "problems" with Lee equipment, but other than "normal" wear and tear, nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not stupid enough to condemn every piece of Lee equipment because I had one "bad" die, the same as I won't condemn all RCBS stuff for the .357 Magnum sizind die they made with a bad carbide ring! I hope my repy was simple enough for you...

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2011, 10:37:13 AM »
That what I tried to do make my reply simple enough for you to understand.But I don't know if I can make it that simple

Offline Austin from NC

• Racjarrett88
  • Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
  • Proudest Uncle Ever
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 09:32:41 PM »
Easy willy he's just saying alot of their bad reputation might come from beginners who don't know what they are doing. Most beginners are going to choose lee over other brands because of cost. I'm sure alot of bad reviews are from operator error and blamed on equipment don't you think?

Austin
(choot it, choot it Elizabeth, choot it) Troy Landry

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2011, 09:23:39 AM »
If he thinks at all...

Offline mechanic

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2011, 04:35:44 PM »
You this old thing with Lee products seems to always produce name calling and hot tempers.  It's just a product among many.  It ain't nuthin' to get upset and call people out over.  If you like it, buy it.  If you don't it's ok by me, and I think most of the folks here.  I buy what works for me and what I can afford, and I'm sure most do the same.

Ben
Molon Labe, (King Leonidas of the Spartan Army)

Offline wncchester

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »
"I see very few of the complaints about Lee stuff that isn't just misusing the tool/equipment."

Roger that.  Those with little (or no) mechanical aptitude tend to abuse, misuse and bust stuff.  And then blame the tool!

I have five presses of three brands, including a couple of Lee's.  I have some fifty+ mixed brand sets of dies for about thirty cartridges.  Three beam scales.  Three  powder measures.  Four tricklers.  Three case trimmers, not counting my Lee trimmers.  Etc.  All of them work, I like some better than the others but they all make high quality ammo when used correctly.  But nothing works very well if it's used incorrectly does it?

Complaints that Lee's alum and plastic stuff is not as robust as far larger and much more costly cast iron stuff are just silly; anyone who thought it would be otherwise REALLY lacks mechanical understanding!   Clear fact is most of Lee's tools are made for the low volume shooter (not beginner, beginners need the same qualities as "experts") and Lee certainly delivers to that market.  Intelligent buying matters; anyone buying a light alum alloy frame Lee press for massive case reforming is worse than mistaken, he's a dummy  (but Lee's iron/steel Classic Cast/Classic Turret presses are as sturdy as any and more so than most).  So is anyone buying a Dillon 650 to make two boxes of 9mm and two boxes of .45ACP twice a year.   Bottom line is we should buy what we need and don't denigrate others who also buy what they need, be it Lee, Dillon or xxxx.

Anyone who has actually measured the output from very many sets of dies by the various makers has probably learned there is NO consistant differences in the 'tolerances' of any brand, they vary as much within the same brand as between brands.  On average Lee's dies load as well as any and, tolerances being what they are, may load better than much more lauded/costly brands!   Anyone blasting and swaring off any brand for production errors would quickly find nothing on the market at any price they would buy, especially including new autos.

Whining about something that's been misused or the maker hasn't been contacted for valid correction does not gain my sympathy.  But then I'm old enough to have a sense of personal responsibility rather than blaming others for my screw ups.   I buy and use Lee's tools same as I do any others; their suitability for what I will be using them for.  And I've NEVER broken any reloading tool except decap pins, usually due to pebbles in the cases.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
This is my last post on this The die was bottomed out in a RCBS rockchucker. The expander button measured .2415.The bullets measured .2428 The neck thickness was .014 to.015 the necks were not turned.When seated the bullet were loose in the case I have loaded for over thirty years I load for 20 rifle and 8 handgun If you can't accept that Lee made a defective die thats not my problem.It could have been any brand but it was a Lee.The Redding that replaced it works fine and if you think I don't use Lee I have two Lee presses and 6 turrets set up with Pro disk powder measures and half have Lee crimp dies the others Redding and 8 Lee bullet molds two hand primers a Lee lead pot so when you tried to change this into a Lee bashing post you screwed up.I don't have a problem with Lee tools. I have a problem with their customer service It is to long and drawn out to explain it all they fooled me around for over a month on some bad turrets.And on the turrets I don't want you to take my word on it go to Midway and read the last 6 or 8  reviews and I'am not one of those

Offline ratdog

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 04:12:18 PM »
have been totaly satisfied with lee  been using it for thirty years or more i have never sent anything back either. ;D

Offline wncchester

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
"have been totaly satisfied with lee  been using it for thirty years or more i have never sent anything back either."

Me too.  And virturally all other brands of reloading tools as well.  And I REALLY do believe Lee can make mistakes and so can any other brand.  But it's hard to believe they won't make it good if the complaint is legitimate.    ;)

Well, there IS one brand I don't care for but that's a personal thing and I doubt the world is sitting on edge waiting for me to post what I'm finished with so I won't bother.   ::)

Offline Buckskin

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2011, 10:57:46 AM »
I have mostly green tools, but have found that the Lee seating die makes straighter a round than the green boxes do... I also prefer the red crimping dies and use the collets for several calibers.
Buckskin

"I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends respect me. The others can do whatever the hell they please.   --John Wayne

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2011, 11:15:55 AM »
I had trouble with Lee years ago and other than hand trimmers don't use much they make. To be honest you  get about what you pay for in most cases . With other equipment makers you pay more but replacements are free in most cases. I didn't have that experince with Lee. Its worth it to me to pay once and know a failure or even breaking on my part will cost me nothing as will replacement of a lost part . All three have taken place with RCBS . In my trade there are products that have printed on the package "its not what you pay its what it cost you " I have found this to be true more than I care to remember .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline Troyboy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Work more talk less
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2011, 12:53:16 PM »
There are good and bad with all products. All make mistakes. I can understand your frustration with the cs issue. Sometimes the line is crossed and that is that. The fortunate thing is there is a lot of choice in product. Myself, I buy American when I can other than that I am color blind.
.204 .22lr .22wm .25acp .223 5.56 .243 .25-06 6.5x55  .308  .300wbymag  7.5x54  7.62x25 7.62x39  338-06  9x19 .38spl  9x18 .45acp . 45-70 .500s&w 12rfl 12smb 20smb  .45lc 410smb .22hornet .280AI    Ask not what your country can do for you BUT what can YOU do for your country

Offline wncchester

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2011, 06:14:30 PM »
"You learn with age and stupidity is a great teacher !!!   "

Yeah.  Lots of folks think reading instructions is a waste of time, often saying "Experience is the best teacher."  They neglect to say the tuition for that kind of education is often quite expensive.

Offline saddlebum

• "I ain't never been killed in my life."
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
Doesn't anyone else think it's "odd?" or "suspect" that this subject of junky Lee products comes up every so often? And it reads exactly the same every time.
I think it's pretty funny!

Kinda reminds me of all of the, "my Handi gun is broke" threads I see on here too.
Just makes me want to run out and buy one................ ;D
" FIREARMS STAND NEXT IN IMPORTANCE TO THE CONSTITUTION ITSELF. THEY ARE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE'S LIBERTY TEETH AND KEYSTONE UNDER INDEPENDENCE."       George Washington

“OUR CONSTITUTION WAS MADE ONLY FOR A MORAL AND RELIGIOUS PEOPLE. IT IS WHOLLY INADEQUATE TO THE GOVERNMENT OF ANY OTHER."           John Adams

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2011, 02:59:27 AM »
I am just the opposite , when others get burned I shy away and buy better stuff. Some call it wisdom .

Offline Casull

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2011, 03:30:57 AM »
Well, I tend to believe my own experience over internet complaints.  Over 25 years use and no problems.  My first set of Lee dies (still in use) helped me take a state title in my class the first year I owned them.  If others want to spend more, that's fine with me.
Aim small, miss small!!!

Offline wncchester

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
When I read that others have been burned and it runs counter to logic I test it. 

Almost always find the 'others' were ... well, mistaken,  because it rarely happens the way the 'others' said, or at least not for me.  Lessee...same tools, different users, different results ... just a guess but maybe the difference really is the users?  Perhaps minus some mechanical wisdom AND experience with tools?   

I would also mention that not all of RCBS' presses are Rock Chuckers.  I've never heard of one of them being 'bent'.  But I have seem photos of a few with broken top straps; seems some folks really can break an anvil with a spoon!  (Perhaps it would be good for them not to buy Lee tools!    ;) )

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2011, 02:18:07 PM »
I said it was my last post but since some of you won't let it go.Since I now realize Lee could never make a mistake.Please explain to me since I gave you all specs you need. Why if the neck of the sizing die wasn't too large why were my bullets loose in the case. I have been loading for over thirty years also so don't try to impress me with how long you have been loading.Time to put up or shut up

Offline wncchester

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
"Time to put up or shut up"

Okay; you got a bad die. As much experience as you have I thought that would be obvious.  Now, let Lee know and you'll get another one, same as another company that turns out a bad die. 

It sure won't do you any good to whine to us.  ??

Offline wild willy

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 09:01:37 AM »
Don't worry I"AM NOT WHINING TO YOU.I knew I had a bad die you were the one that had the problem.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 09:21:50 AM »
see who pays shipping ..........